Supplemental activities for TJQ

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Supplemental activities for TJQ

Postby Formosa Neijia on Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:12 am

Appledog wrote:Another example would be kettlebell swings. Turkish get-ups obviously violate the principles because you are loading through your top body, for example, but what about swings? It seems so close to many taiji movements. As I've discovered, when you do swings the temptation to 'lean on the bell' when it swings upwards is impossible to resist, because otherwise you would loose your balance. I am not sure this is a good thing or a bad thing but if you look at normal kettlebell instruction it is the reverse of taiji instruction, i.e. support the force by using a gorilla posture not a tailbone tucked posture. The forces and load distribution are clearly different; mix these two at your own extreme risk, experience tells me to suspect there is a lot of pain in your future if you try to mix these two seriously.

How do TGUs violate taiji principles when many scenarios in fighting will include extreme resistance against your upper body? Just using the peng position from Yang style to "ward off" anyone will involve a lot of upper body resistance as will any grappling situation. You can't just avoid those situations and hope for the best IMO. They require training which moves like the TGU will get you. The TGU is all about transferring pressure from an overhead kettlebell through your core to your feet. Does that sound familiar to anyone? Ground path,anyone? Ahem.....<cough, cough> "structure"? Core energy from the "dantien"? TGUs won't happen without all of those.

Perhaps you were taught to swing the kettlebell incorrectly? You have to pull BACK from a kettlebell swing, not lean into it, in order to neutralize the forces generated upward and forward. And the tailbone IS tucked at the top of the swing! It has to be because you MUST squeeze the glutes at the top of the swing and extend the hips in order for the kettlebell to going flying out and up. Kettlebells also fix the anemic hamstrings, glutes and low back that nearly all kungfu people have. You won't find a better tool for that.

Here are some of my students. This is almost bodyweight for them:

In response to the OP's question my top recomendations would be powerlifting, kettlebell training, and swimming as has already been mentioned. Taiji people are notriously weak in nearly every way. Powerlifting is all about maximum strength which taiji doesn't touch at all. After that, kettlebell training has much to teach about bringing martial power all the way from the feet to above the head. Nearly every lift does that and the power has to come from the core. Swimming is one of the most powerful qigongs you can get. Breath control is part and parcel of real competitive swimming practice. My heart rate was consistently in the low 40s when I swam regularly.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan