Hermetic Bodywork

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Hermetic Bodywork

Postby northern_mantis on Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:29 pm

Hi all

I have been following Mark Rasmus' videos lately and am curious as to the role of Hermetics in his martial arts. It kind of makes sense but I'm unable to find anything written or on video that bridges the gap between theory and practice by way of bodywork or some kind of physical principles.

Is anybody aware of anything? I know peace dog has written on this in the past.

Thanks all
northern_mantis
Huajing

Re: Hermetic Bodywork

Postby Bao on Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:41 pm

Found this thread but I don't know if it covers what you want to know

https://rumsoakedfist.org/viewtopic.php ... 8&p=371537
Last edited by Bao on Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:19 am

Lot of words and says it's easy to explain but explains nothing
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:49 am

Specifically Franz Bardon is what was mentioned previously.

To my understanding, Franz's methods involve the manipulation of invisible electric and magnetic fluids that are repulsive and attractive, respectively.

Theoretically, manipulating the fluids can manipulate another person's body.
Last edited by origami_itto on Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby middleway on Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:15 am

Specifically Franz Bardon is what was mentioned previously.

To my understanding, Franz's methods involve the manipulation of invisible electric and magnetic fluids that are repulsive and attractive, respectively.

Theoretically, manipulating the fluids can manipulate another person's body.

I mean ... this sounds WAY out there. Magnetism and Electricity are able to be detected to an extremely refined level, we also know what effect Electricity and Magnetism has on the human body at detectable levels. So I am always amazed that these are the two explanations used for theoretical esoteric 'energies' / 'Fluids'.

I have not seen anything done by Mr Rasmus that would suggest he is using anything but mechanical principles to achieve his desired results in the partners.

But i guess who knows.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:11 am

Maybe not paying very close attention?

He mentions the magnetic fluid all the time, and he also very much talks about things like sticking to the ego and emotion in addition to the body.

This one he just put out he starts talking about the Astral Matrix.

I didn't really pick up on some of it till I started getting familiar with Bardon's theories.

The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby middleway on Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:49 am

Maybe not paying very close attention?
He mentions the magnetic fluid all the time,

No sorry i think you misread me ... I didnt say he doesnt talk about this stuff. i said:

I have not seen anything done by Mr Rasmus that would suggest he is using anything but mechanical principles to achieve his desired results in the partners.

By that i mean, I have literally not observed anything that would suggest he is using anything but ... etc etc.

thanks.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:23 am

oragami_itto wrote: talks about things like sticking to the ego and emotion in addition to the body.

really interesting point.

subjectively "qi" can feel "fluid" and "electromagnetic". some people theorize qi has to do with the electromagnetic fields. This gets hard to understand, but scientists know electromagnetic force is much stronger than gravity. We can see that in a simple example for normal non-scientists using a magnet to pick up a paper clip. Even a weak magnet can "beat" gravity. But getting into qi and MA and human bodies gets too difficult for people, experientially and theoretically, for various reasons.

???

You can see gravity’s relative weakness simply by using an ordinary bar magnet to pick up paper clips from a desk. Battling the gravitational pull of all of Earth, the tiny magnet wins! In fact, gravity is a staggering 10 [to the] 40 times weaker than electromagnetism. But why, among the fundamental forces, is gravity the runt of the litter? Explaining gravity’s relative feebleness is a profound challenge for physics, and an essential milestone on the road to a unified theory of all four forces.

(https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/article/w ... -weakling/)

if scientists can't explain it, it's hard to expect regular people who like to cite "mechanics" to understand something. confirmation bias is so incredibly strong a force (probably also stronger than gravity haha), if we experience something that doesn't fit our view or social views we reject it. this was seen in the famous psych experiment where plants said the shorter pencil is longer than the objectively longer one, and all the subjects ended up changing their position against their own eyes.
Last edited by everything on Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby robert on Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:29 am

middleway wrote: I mean ... this sounds WAY out there. Magnetism and Electricity are able to be detected to an extremely refined level, we also know what effect Electricity and Magnetism has on the human body at detectable levels. So I am always amazed that these are the two explanations used for theoretical esoteric 'energies' / 'Fluids'.

It is way out there. The magnetic field of the human body is in the range of 0.00001 to 0.0000000001 gauss. The earth's magnetic field at the surface is 0.25 to 0.6. Can you detect the earth's magnetic field? Can you use the earth's magnetic field to effect movement in humans? The magnetic field of the human body is a factor of 1000 less powerful than that.

middleway wrote:But i guess who knows.

Reason can rule some things out 8-)
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:38 am

robert wrote:
middleway wrote: I mean ... this sounds WAY out there. Magnetism and Electricity are able to be detected to an extremely refined level, we also know what effect Electricity and Magnetism has on the human body at detectable levels. So I am always amazed that these are the two explanations used for theoretical esoteric 'energies' / 'Fluids'.

It is way out there. The magnetic field of the human body is in the range of 0.00001 to 0.0000000001 gauss. The earth's magnetic field at the surface is 0.25 to 0.6. Can you detect the earth's magnetic field? Can you use the earth's magnetic field to effect movement in humans? The magnetic field of the human body is a factor of 1000 less powerful than that.

middleway wrote:But i guess who knows.

Reason can rule some things out 8-)

oh boy you just demonstrated everything I just said above.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby robert on Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:53 am

everything wrote:oh boy you just demonstrated everything I just said above.

Can you explain that comment? :-\
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby robert on Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:57 am

We understand the forces of electromagnetism and gravity in as much as we can calculate their effects.

Lets add some context to this

You can see gravity’s relative weakness simply by using an ordinary bar magnet to pick up paper clips from a desk. Battling the gravitational pull of all of Earth, the tiny magnet wins!

Gravity is affected by mass.

F = m * g

m = mass and g is gravity on earth

Let's look at scales. A small bar magnet is 100 gauss; that is 1,000,000 times more powerful than the magnetic field of the human body. A paper clip weighs about 1.5 grams. Let's say a bar magnet will lift 50 paper clips. Obviously this is not a scientific analysis, it's just an approximation. There are 453.592 grams in a pound, 50 paper clips = 75 grams, so lets say a bar magnet lifts 1/6 pound. 180 lbs would require 1080 bar magnets. You would need 108000 gauss to lift the equivalent of a 180 pound person. MRI machines are in the range of 3000 - 70000 gauss.

So you need an electromagnetic force that is 1,080,000,000 time more powerful that the electromagnetic field of the human body to lift 180 lbs and that is ignoring the fact that the human body is non metallic so magnets can't lift the human body, at best you can affect it's electromagnetic field.
Last edited by robert on Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robert
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:15 pm

Science one bullshit nil
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:17 pm

Should have said intelligence one big guy crapping on nil
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby robert on Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:14 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Science one bullshit nil

And to bring it back to topic I think the role of hermetics in CIMA would be to apply reason and experiment to it ;) Although Mark Rasmus appears to have some skills, his explanations seem flaky at best (which I think is a shame).

wikipedia wrote:Much of the importance of Hermeticism arises from its connection with the development of science during the time from 1300 to 1600 AD. The prominence that it gave to the idea of influencing or controlling nature led many scientists to look to magic and its allied arts (e.g., alchemy, astrology) which, it was thought, could put nature to the test by means of experiments. Consequently, it was the practical aspects of Hermetic writings that attracted the attention of scientists.[12] Isaac Newton placed great faith in the concept of an unadulterated, pure, ancient doctrine, which he studied vigorously to aid his understanding of the physical world.[13]

Sir Isaac Newton is a beacon of reason in a world awash in opinions.
robert
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan