What do you think about this punching combo?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: What do you think about this punching combo?

Postby Subitai on Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:58 pm

johnwang wrote:
Subitai wrote:Mabe he is good at that...I won't doubt him. But it doesn't mean I'm not good at grabbing and hand control either.

IMO, this has nothing to do with who is better at "body listen ability".

For example, you may be good at blocking my kick. But my intention is not to kick you. My intention is to use my kick to distract you so I can set up my punch.

"引 (Yin) - Arm guiding" is used to guide your opponent's arm away from your attacking path. As long a your opponent's arm can not cause you any trouble during that 1/4 sec, you will have a good chance to enter safely (or you will have a good chance to land your fist on his head).

I have no problem with what you just said... In your original post you asked about a grab and arm pulling. All I tried to do was show one example of how it's done.

I also said:
....grabbing and using that ability to set up a strike, sweep, lock or throw. It doesn't have to be for very long...just a split second hand control and pull.

The thing that most people don't realize is that you don't chase hands. It comes from experience, you either know how to intercept or catch from a distance or you learn to get closer 1st and then apply Grab at a higher % .
Subitai
Huajing

Postby dspyrido on Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:23 am

Two methods - similar application limit.

Two methods:
1. PIN: 8oz+ gloves - no grip. Use a pin to control which can be done as a straight or hooking move.
2. PIN or GRIP: 4oz gloves/no gloves - grip available. Either can be applied & they have their own individual pros and cons.

Limit:
In both methods it can't be used against a jab or a person with fast movement. That would be chasing the hands & extremely tricky to apply unless their fast hands are actually really slow.

Application:
Opponents attempts to cover up - use a pin to control or grip to control or remove. No chasing hands and no need to apply "listening" skills ... except to be aware if they stop covering up.

Application 2:
Opponent is heavy handing and trying to pushing or control. Use listening to slip out and escape and use pin/trapping/hooking etc. to control them. Again this only works if they are not using fast movement.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:02 pm

I wonder how many of you have actually done TCMA... EVERY CMA has trapping. It works really fucking well. All you need is a split second of contact. Usually you throw the bait and THEY DO THE WORK FOR YOU. You don't go chasing their arm. You attack them and they give it to you. There are examples in MMA, but by and large they haven't studied TCMA with a qualified instructor. This is why real TCMA looks so different; it has a lot of trapping and it's not only the front of the fist that is being used to strike.

Those videos of supposed Hongjiaquan were just poor Sanda. There was no TCMA to be found..
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:48 pm

https://books.google.com/books?id=E6TnB ... 9E&f=false

《拳经》中讲,“拳无空出,手无空回,拳打不空回,空回不为能 ... 出手要抖,回手要勾”。

Your fist should not go out without good reason. Your hand should not come back empty. ... Shaking your arm when you punch. Hook your hand when you come back.

I have always believed that during the

- beginner level, a punch is just a punch.
- advance level, a punch is a punch followed by a pull (手无空回 your hand should not come back empty).

I'm quite surprised that after so many years, MMA is still staying in the beginner level.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:47 pm

I mean, there's a gif right here in this thread showing Fedor pulling his opponent's hand out of the way on the pull back from a punch.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:46 pm

I think that one isn't working now. He does it toward the end (not the initial slap down).

I don't know if others do that so much.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:00 pm

everything wrote:I think that one isn't working now. He does it toward the end (not the initial slap down).

I don't know if others do that so much.

Here are others:

Gum Sau — Golovkin:

Lap Sau — Lomachenko:
marvin8
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan