Less is More..

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Less is More..

Postby suckinlhbf on Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:46 pm

heart is emotional mind

Xin" is the classical character for "mind

Xin in chinese carries a board meaning and numerous interpretation. It has been tried for decades to explain what "Xin" is but still cannot transcribe clearly. "Xin" is NOT the classical character for "mind" in chinese but there is no closer word to translate.
One method trying to get closer to the "Xin" is on a sitting meditation posture, relax, calm down, and listen to your own heart beat, then feel the blood flow in the body, and ...... Tried not to think and stop the thought once it comes in. So, shut off the mind. It is the beginning of not everything but something.
Self-Improvement is Masturbation
suckinlhbf
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:14 am

suckinlhbf wrote:
it’s quite an active(by the mind) exercise

Heart is the chinese word to use rather than mind, and to train with the heart. What is heart? where is the heart? How does the heart work? Heart tends to feel, feel, feel, and response, then the intention kick in. Another old saying "zhen" comes in when the "heart" die. Well, the oriental logic does not make sense and work for everybody especially those with different culture and background. That's why the old man asked "Do you know Chinese?". It takes time to figure out.

The breath and the puls must be exercised correctly. CMA especially the “internal” work on this in a particular way. When fully understood no strikes can find a place to land on you no opponent will find youOnes awareness will be at an higher order. By being absolutely here and now one is always a step ahead, to reach this one must master the heart.....Wow, sounds as I’ve done too much of strange stuff in my days. But less is more, just master the breath and the puls. 8-)
Trick

Postby Trick on Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:26 am

suckinlhbf wrote:
heart is emotional mind

Xin" is the classical character for "mind

Xin in chinese carries a board meaning and numerous interpretation. It has been tried for decades to explain what "Xin" is but still cannot transcribe clearly. "Xin" is NOT the classical character for "mind" in chinese but there is no closer word to translate.
One method trying to get closer to the "Xin" is on a sitting meditation posture, relax, calm down, and listen to your own heart beat, then feel the blood flow in the body, and ...... Tried not to think and stop the thought once it comes in. So, shut off the mind. It is the beginning of not everything but something.

In the martial arts one expect to act upon outside forces. So this is implemented in the exercises of CMA especially the “internal” ones. From “feeling” outside forces ones inner is exercised, if the focus is on inner stuff the outer is probably missed. For example if one does a lot of (free)sparring ones awareness and here and now focus will reach a high level
Trick

Postby Steve James on Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:22 am

I can't find a good way to describe the various "minds" in Chinese theory. I remember that "Yi, Qi, Shen" must combine. The question is how to put that into practice.

The way I understand it, my "heart" is almost indistinguishable for my "spirit" when it comes to tcc practice. For ex., it determines that I'm not trying to hurt my practice partner, and that I'm trying to hurt my enemy. It's an emotion, but it's not just an emotion. It's the difference between external expression and external appearance. There's a saying somewhere about how the spirit is not shown outwardly. So, for ex., if there's an actual confrontation, the other guy doesn't know that you're ready to beat his brains out. :)

Yi, as intention, is just the director, but isn't always in control. Everybody knows that their heart can overcome their head. (I don't know if qi is associated with the genitals, but I know that a guy's balls can seem to have a mind of their own). Anyway, the point is that I hope all those minds are working together in harmony at the right time and place.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby suckinlhbf on Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:27 am

if the focus is on inner stuff the outer is probably missed

Mr. Wang said "get your power from outside". It worth much to work on.
suckinlhbf
Wuji

Postby suckinlhbf on Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:37 am

if there's an actual confrontation, the other guy doesn't know that you're ready to beat his brains out

hope all those minds are working together in harmony at the right time and place

It may come from "no intention (yi) is the real Yi". I think the only way is to learn, practise, research with an open mind, and receive whatever we get. It is an destiny we can never reach.
Last edited by suckinlhbf on Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
suckinlhbf
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:48 am

suckinlhbf wrote:
if the focus is on inner stuff the outer is probably missed

Mr. Wang said "get your power from outside". It worth much to work on.

Yes there seem to be a common misunderstanding when working with “internal” MA, that practitioners focus on things “within”themselves, Dantiens, moving Qi around, trying to find the right structure and so on. This is just locking oneself within oneself and one will get nowhere.
Peoples who are stuck like that might ad on more and more methods to their repertoire and it all more or less becomes a way of more is less
Trick

Postby suckinlhbf on Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:02 am

there seem to be a common misunderstanding when working with “internal” MA, that practitioners focus on things “within”themselves, Dantiens, moving Qi around, trying to find the right structure and so on

Go for some fights and they may realize. Martial Art is for fight and survive. The more we fight and lose, the more insights we get.
Last edited by suckinlhbf on Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
suckinlhbf
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:18 pm

suckinlhbf wrote:
there seem to be a common misunderstanding when working with “internal” MA, that practitioners focus on things “within”themselves, Dantiens, moving Qi around, trying to find the right structure and so on

Go for some fights and they may realize. Martial Art is for fight and survive. The more we fight and lose, the more insights we get.

Agree!

After your punch, if your opponent is

- down, even if you don't use your mind, you still succeed.
- still standing, even if you use your mind, you still fail.

Your opponent runs toward you and tries to knock your head off. Suddenly he drops down right in front of you. You just realized that your opponent runs into your kick. Did you use your mind to order that kick? No. Your kick comes from your body reflection (not from your mind).

When you train, you want to keep your mind blank. What you think that you can do is not real. What your body can do without thinking is real.
Last edited by johnwang on Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby suckinlhbf on Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:50 pm

When you train, you want to keep your mind blank. What you think that you can do is not real. What your body can do without thinking is real.

It is the key to use the heart. Then the real intention (no intention) will follow. Your opponent will fail without knowing why or too late to know.
suckinlhbf
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan