split

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

split

Postby everything on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:44 am

usually I think of diagonal flying where upper body pushes your body one way and lower body blocks your lower body the other way. and then various throws are just "steering wheel" on upper, leg block/trip/reap on lower. all fine and good. can be done with "brute force" then refined.

I think it's more interesting to see split as making someone's mind/body to commit one way, and the "split" of energy happens because his mind then tries to stop and go the other way, but the body can't do that so in some cases it's going to lose balance. so you have things in sports like this:

That example is famous and "no touch" but there are various push hands like contact things that happen where you can off balance or make someone fall (like with spins) but without an explicit throw or trip.

This is useful in this sport context if you can make people do this because
1. if I applied diagonal flying or some throw in this sport, it would be a foul, plain and simple.
2. if you can make them fall down or even just split their body and mind, it's easy to go around them
3. people will to some extent use a little pushing and pulling on you so if your "push hands" is a little higher level / more subtle, you can "ward off" or do whatever and get on with it.
4. the more you get them to try to "follow" you, the higher chances you can try to "lead to emptiness" because now their commitment to the "attack" will be higher and harder for them to overcome when you are "not there".
5. there is no need to deal with all the bullshit and baggage and non stop male pattern lecturing ( ignorant man-splaining) people bring to ph.

I do not think this is "internal" but it's an interesting step.
Last edited by everything on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: split

Postby origami_itto on Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:08 am

You lost me at the end there.

Yes, of course, split has a mental aspect. You split the attention to create openings.

Hockey even has a term for it, dangles! :D

The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Re: split

Postby everything on Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:45 am

ah lol what a term
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan