Today is not that day

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Today is not that day

Postby johnwang on Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:43 pm

I have done 3 miles running for the past 30 years. Today I may not run as fast as I used to, but I still want to maintain my 3 miles distance. I don't know when I'll stop doing this. But today is not that day.

We all have to change our training routine some day to adapt our ages. As long as that day is not today. I know my logic may not make sense here. But I do have the fear of changing.

What's your opinion on this?
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: Today is not that day

Postby windwalker on Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:55 pm

But today is not that day.

words to live by
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:49 pm

I think more and more about this stuff every day. I run regularly as well. My view is that there needs to be a balance between exercising enough (staying fit) and exercising too much (getting hurt). Today might be a day you don't run, but then you do something else instead, to make it "enough exercise".
Last edited by Dmitri on Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:54 am

Live like there is no tomorrow 8-)
Trick

Postby richardman on Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:11 am

With my mostly sedentary lifestyle and mostly only doing Tai Chi, I know I need to get my cardio game up. So about 10 months ago, I got a membership in a local gym with tons of fancy equipment. I only use the elliptical to do ~140 strides/min walk/hike with slight "headwind". When I started, I could do only about a mile, now I do ~1.7 miles (which burns an estimated 200 calories so it's a good place to stop). After that, I do 20 minutes of standing, then the form. I do it about 3-4 times a week. The nice thing is that I won't be distracted by barking dogs etc, although I have had a handful people walking past while I was standing and asked their companions whether I was "alive", ha ha.

Anyway, the point is that you know what conditions you want to be or should be in. As we age, the optimal conditions change to account for lower metabolism, muscle changes etc. Don't push over the limits and adjust for the current reality.
richardman
Mingjing

Postby Steve James on Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:02 am

Do what you can when you can, and enjoy it. You won't be able to do it forever. If you're lucky, you'll realize what you've got before it's gone.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:49 am

”Today is not that day.” Nice slogan. Love that mind-set. Whatever you do in life or in business, never ever give up, just keep on fighting. 8-)

... Better to drop dead while doing something you love than lying on a bed bored to death ...
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:14 pm

Few days ago when I worked on the free weight, I hurt my low back muscle. After 3 days of resting, I decided to decrease my weight for 10 lb. I then realized that if I did, I may never be able to go back to the same weight for the rest of my life. Today I still keep the same weight.

After his stroke, GM Han Ching-Tang still worked on his double heads free weight. Even stroke didn't stop his daily training.
Last edited by johnwang on Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:42 am

;) wrong order this time ,

his daily training helped him to get over with the stroke .
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby suckinlhbf on Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:59 am

Our body changes every day with the daily routine training. Things are changing every moment. We may be forced to change so can keep up. Training and practising are the same. We keep the routine to train, and the content changes based on the needs so we can improve day by day if possible. Like in a fight, we can't afford not changing. We can't afford to stuck at the same spot as time flies.
Self-Improvement is Masturbation
suckinlhbf
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:07 am

Every 7 years our bodies has renewed all its cells, but at some stage in our life this renewing becomes lesser and lesser complete because it seem our DNA is coded in such a way that we eventually must degenerate.
Trick

Postby wiesiek on Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:53 am

Shortened Telomers Chains,
this is molecular reason of ageing.
But
maki`n them to recover brings a cancer...

Kinda of squaring the circle .
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby suckinlhbf on Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:56 am

Shortened Telomers Chains,
this is molecular reason of ageing.
But
maki`n them to recover brings a cancer...

Are Telomeres the Key to Aging and Cancer

Inside the nucleus of a cell, our genes are arranged along twisted, double-stranded molecules of DNA called chromosomes. At the ends of the chromosomes are stretches of DNA called telomeres, which protect our genetic data, make it possible for cells to divide, and hold some secrets to how we age and get cancer.

Telomeres have been compared with the plastic tips on shoelaces, because they keep chromosome ends from fraying and sticking to each other, which would destroy or scramble an organism's genetic information.

Yet, each time a cell divides, the telomeres get shorter. When they get too short, the cell can no longer divide; it becomes inactive or "senescent" or it dies. This shortening process is associated with aging, cancer, and a higher risk of death. So telomeres also have been compared with a bomb fuse.

https://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content ... telomeres/

Here is the link for more information.
Self-Improvement is Masturbation
suckinlhbf
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan