Qigong in circle walking?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Qigong in circle walking?

Postby D_Glenn on Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:57 am

wiesiek wrote:thx for the thread,
its kick my back into practice.
I do 36 breathings and changing direction in :
dragon, lion, unicorn, snake, swallow, eagle, phoenix and monkey positions.
this is over 1h gong,

You should try just doing one posture for the whole hour. Turn in one direction for as long as you can then switch. Do the same posture for about 3-6 months.

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby David Boxen on Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:42 pm

So what are the adaptations one can expect after a year of practicing lion posture for an hour a day?
We are not stuff that abides, but patterns that perpetuate themselves. - Norbert Wiener
David Boxen
Huajing

Postby D_Glenn on Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:43 pm

It’s a leap of faith. I take a lot of effort to get just the right phrasing for certain things about it on my Facebook group, but essentially the best teaching method is to not say anything.
Circle Turning is a journey. Everyone might travel the same path or road through a forest, but one person might be a bird watcher, so he will describe the path as being all the birds you will see. Another guy might be into insects and describe all the interesting bugs along the path. Or another guy likes rocks, so he talks about all the different rocks. But, say, even if you also like birds and read about those experiences, odds are high that you won’t encounter all those same birds when you undertake the journey.

If you’re already Circle Walking then why not only do a single posture. It is like reading the actual novel, instead of just reading Cliff notes about the novels. You have nothing to lose.
Last edited by D_Glenn on Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:54 am

ok, thank You, will do D_G
In fact I started to add circles in 1st "Dragon" posture, I did over 80 breaths before switch today
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:26 am

10 th day non stop in one hands position
800 steps/breaths = 1h 10 minutes circle walkin`, average 10 steps = 1 circle
switching sides after 100
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby greytowhite on Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:19 am

One thing I've been working with is making my circles exactly 8 steps. There are various directional aspects to the Jiang form that I need to research a little further. Kraig Stephens pointed out some stuff for me to help me progress and one thing he mentioned was that the 8 step circle was a key foundation before the other stuff would even work.
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:16 am

wiesiek wrote:10 th day non stop in one hands position
800 steps/breaths = 1h 10 minutes circle walkin`, average 10 steps = 1 circle
switching sides after 100

There’s so many details of the body requirements and stepping, that should be occupying all your inner thoughts, that I think counting breaths would be unadvisable. Just set a timer or something.

Another way to try practicing is to use a type of isometric or static strength for the whole duration of the practice. It will turn your practice from just a Qigong into a practice that causes 1) fluid exchanging 2) blood muscle changing 3) tendon membrane changing, and 4) bone marrow washing. These require intensity in order to bring about the changes. Number 1) is using such intensity and strength, that your whole body sweats profusely, (exchanging turbid fluids for clean). It will also bring about more blood flow to your muscles and eventually unblock micro capillaries that feed your skin, fascia and tendons.
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:24 am

greytowhite wrote:One thing I've been working with is making my circles exactly 8 steps. There are various directional aspects to the Jiang form that I need to research a little further. Kraig Stephens pointed out some stuff for me to help me progress and one thing he mentioned was that the 8 step circle was a key foundation before the other stuff would even work.

I’ve found that no matter the diameter of circle turning that it always ends up in fractions, like 7.5 steps or 5.5 steps, or even 3.5, to make one revolution. Counting steps, imo, falls under the same category of counting breaths, too much distraction from the real work of making correct all the internal body mechanics and requirements that you need to be thinking about. Going over and over the mental checklist becomes like a meditation.
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:04 am

Thank You,
I slowed down, a little . Now I do approximately 6oo breathosteps (3 changes)in one hour.
Easy to count, my circle has 10 steps, exactly.
My T shirt is wed in second turn.
I relax, checked step and gradually tensing , when foot touch ground.
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby greytowhite on Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:27 pm

D_Glenn wrote:
greytowhite wrote:One thing I've been working with is making my circles exactly 8 steps. There are various directional aspects to the Jiang form that I need to research a little further. Kraig Stephens pointed out some stuff for me to help me progress and one thing he mentioned was that the 8 step circle was a key foundation before the other stuff would even work.

I’ve found that no matter the diameter of circle turning that it always ends up in fractions, like 7.5 steps or 5.5 steps, or even 3.5, to make one revolution. Counting steps, imo, falls under the same category of counting breaths, too much distraction from the real work of making correct all the internal body mechanics and requirements that you need to be thinking about. Going over and over the mental checklist becomes like a meditation.

With the proper spacing and their line's preferred stepping method one does not need to count. It's just harder for me to shorten my right stride to maintain equality as my left side is a smaller stride due to thoracic scoliosis.
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:44 am

D_Glenn wrote:

I’ve no whatsoever baguazhang experiences so I should probably not comment. But anyway, no need to be counting steps, just work on angling the the feet so the step naturally comes to eight steps full circle/octagon ? Maybe that angling of the feet while stepping proves to be the a correct building brick for building “superior” BGZ foot/leg/bodywork ??
Trick

Postby D_Glenn on Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:07 am

It’s similar to xylh chicken walking, only instead of going down and back on a straight line, you’re making the straight line into a closed loop by using open and close stepping, and keeping the feet close to the ground at all times.
So bagua develops the same qualities of xylh walking drills but with an added development of the knees from moving the knee joints through a fuller range of motion with the angled steps.
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby greytowhite on Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:47 am

Trick wrote:I’ve no whatsoever baguazhang experiences so I should probably not comment. But anyway, no need to be counting steps, just work on angling the the feet so the step naturally comes to eight steps full circle/octagon ? Maybe that angling of the feet while stepping proves to be the a correct building brick for building “superior” BGZ foot/leg/bodywork ??

Pretty much it, with equal stride length, following their preferred stepping method, and proper angling it comes out to 8 steps without the need to count. The measurement I was taught was to make the radius of the circle equal to the length of one's arm. May not work for someone like my friend whose arms are much longer than her legs.
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:04 pm

greytowhite wrote: The measurement I was taught was to make the radius of the circle equal to the length of one's arm. May not work for someone like my friend whose arms are much longer than her legs.

Some might consider the why, using
the dimensions given.
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby meeks on Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:56 pm

circle radius is simply defined by the amount of twist throughout the spine one can achieve. To limit the twisting so that a specific radius can be maintained *might* defeat some of the principles to maintain during circle walking... one of them being 'twist to the maximum range of motion'.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan