Qigong in circle walking?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Qigong in circle walking?

Postby windwalker on Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:27 pm

windwalker wrote:
greytowhite wrote: The measurement I was taught was to make the radius of the circle equal to the length of one's arm. May not work for someone like my friend whose arms are much longer than her legs.

Some might consider the why, using
the dimensions given.

Maybe I should have explained it a little more...There are relationships between shoulder, hip, elbow, knee ect. distance from center to radius
Not a bagua player, my last taiji teacher was noted for his bagua at one time before learning taiji. Although he stopped playing bagua
it was very much reflected in his taiji..

The measurement I was taught was to make the radius of the circle equal to the length of one's arm.

This is very specific which prompted my curiosity, as to what the relationship was or is.
I could conjecture what he might mean, in my own work its important to know the axis about which one defines
the arc, and point of movement....so that one can understand and learn how to turn and move either inside or outside the circle.
Just found the specificity interesting...
its very important to understand and know the relationships
according to owns own body, and range of movement.
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby greytowhite on Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:00 pm

San jiao linkage is extremely important for this to work.
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby robert on Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:04 pm

windwalker wrote:
The measurement I was taught was to make the radius of the circle equal to the length of one's arm.

This is very specific which prompted my curiosity, as to what the relationship was or is.
I could conjecture what he might mean, in my own work its important to know the axis about which one defines
the arc, and point of movement....so that one can understand and learn how to turn and move either inside or outside the circle.
Just found the specificity interesting...
its very important to understand and know the relationships
according to owns own body, and range of movement.

In Liang Zhenpu bagua it's about distance. In Chen family single hand push hands the wrists touch. In LZP bagua there are drills in which two people walk a circle opposite each other and the wrists touch. The millstone pushing posture is the en garde posture of bagua.

Walk the circle in the millstone pushing posture with wrists touching.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:05 pm

so in this kind of super precise kind of case, what size tree should you walk around? what happens when your favorite tree grows?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:45 am

But for sure when solo circle walking one must “feel” the touch/push with both the upper and lower hands/wrists(as one also imagine as if walking through mud)? Then this imaginary touch further help the circling, and then the posture and breath...and voila, there is the Gong of Qi.......and no tree needed
Trick

Postby windwalker on Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:47 pm

Trick wrote:But for sure when solo circle walking one must “feel” the touch/push with both the upper and lower hands/wrists(as one also imagine as if walking through mud)? Then this imaginary touch further help the circling, and then the posture and breath...and voila, there is the Gong of Qi.......and no tree needed

you may find this interesting reading

The trajectory of a walking robot is planned using the angular momentum equation to ensure that the generated joint trajectories guarantee the dynamical postural stability of the robot, which usually is quantified by the distance of the zero moment point in the boundaries of a predefined stability region.

The position of the zero moment point is affected by the referred mass and inertia of the robot’s torso, since its motion generally requires large ankle torques to maintain a satisfactory dynamical postural stability.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_moment_point

Its a theory used for understanding and designing robots that can walk as humans do.
The deeper ones practice becomes the more important the details become which allow for it to deepen.
For some this may be a good model to use in understanding what one is feeling and why.

Last edited by windwalker on Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:58 am

I won’t interrupt the basket guy, but I tell you guys that he is “sitting” on something which leg(s) are carefully hidden by the masters legs, he couldn’t circle walk on that edge even in his thoughts
Trick

Postby Trick on Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:03 am

I know an Guy in Sweden (he is from Taiwan) many years ago he explained(and did some of them) how a lot of Gong Fu masters street performance feats where done
Trick

Postby windwalker on Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:35 pm

Trick wrote:I won’t interrupt the basket guy, but I tell you guys that he is “sitting” on something which leg(s) are carefully hidden by the masters legs, he couldn’t circle walk on that edge even in his thoughts

how about this one

or this one

maybe this one

seems to be a common skill among those who practice it... are they thinking it or doing it?

In all postures noted there is a symmetry common to each of them.

It might be more beneficial to see if what is shown can be related to other things that challenge
assumptions

If an object has a uniform shape, like a pencil, or a square, then the center of mass is easy to determine. It's in the center of the object. But for objects with non-uniform shapes this is not known ahead of time. To find the center of gravity for these objects you need to use trial and error. You must try balancing the object on different points until you find the point where the object is perfectly balanced, and doesn't fall over. This point, once found, is the center of gravity.

https://www.real-world-physics-problems ... -bird.html
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:18 am

funny thing is, tat even when I don`t count, I catching myself on counting, from time to time...:),
hmm, when mind became wandering ?, or automatic cooling down processing?
anyway,I use "lift the anus, damned, " command and stopin` counting for the next time.
Kinda of hard ingrown habit.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:28 pm

On a tangent, usually one's foot is about as long as one's forearm, or maybe from crook of elbow to wrist anyway. No idea if this is really true, but you'll probably find it's darn close if you check now.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:47 am

Trick wrote:https://health.howstuffworks.com/human-body/parts/foot-same-length-as-arm-from-wrist-to-elbow.htm

Interesting, something that depending on one's viewpoint can relate to whole body power or integrated body alignment
windwalker
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:29 am

Trick wrote:https://health.howstuffworks.com/human-body/parts/foot-same-length-as-arm-from-wrist-to-elbow.htm

LOL.

Michael Jordan's wingspan is longer than his height, but for "perfectly proportioned" humans, the foot arm thing is true according to Da Vinci, lol.
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:30 am

Back on topic, thanks for the book suggestion. Studies always look at at tai chi vs. walking, but they don't seem to know about this alternative that kind of combines both. Would be interesting if they added a third group to those types of studies.
everything
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan