Tachypsychia

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Tachypsychia

Postby klonk on Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:25 pm

Maybe the reason tachypsychia is not a magic bullet is it does not work as well as one would hope. It would be lovely if your opponents moved in slow motion, right? But in the video clip I posted above, the human test subject got the wrong answer both times! Think about that. He was able to process impressions faster than normal, but not as well as normal. And of course the doped up rats failed to get their food pellets.

Hmmm... I dunno, Peacedog, this whole controlled tachypsychia deal might be a blind alley. Sorry.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:31 am

I don't see why Dr David Grossman (a former army reservist and academic, with interests in battlefield analaysis, military history and the psychology of violence) of "Killology" would have any in on this alleged mind technology at all. I think you may be thinking of someone completely different.

This ability - to slow down time, so your opponents seem to move in slow motion...would (if it could be harnessed) be the ultimate secret. With this, you would not need any other fighting skill: While your opponent is wading toward you in slow mo, your timing would be so, so good, that you would just need to tap him in the groin or the throat to finish him off.

Trouble is, although some persons in high-stressed metnal states do report this, I have never, ever heard of anyone who has cultivated the ability to summon this state at will. Given that it would be the ultimate skill to have in fighting (not to mention a whole range of other situtations in life) and yet nobody on record seems to have it I will boldly state that this ability, as a cultivatable skill, does not exist.

Oh hang on, you met this bloke in a bar once, who had been to a monastry in Tibet, and....?
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:25 pm

Andy_S wrote:
This ability - to slow down time, so your opponents seem to move in slow motion...would (if it could be harnessed) be the ultimate secret. With this, you would not need any other fighting skill: While your opponent is wading toward you in slow mo, your timing would be so, so good, that you would just need to tap him in the groin or the throat to finish him off.

What if two persons with this ability were fighting each other? Would they duke it out Matrix style? Surely they need fighting skills and not only: black trench coats are a must too.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Gary on Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:48 pm

klonk wrote:.......... I found it unpleasant and needed to defecate immediately.

Hysterical! timewarp pooping
Gary
Santi

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:12 pm

I found the following brief article on this topic interesting from a martial art and yoga perspective relevant to mental training:

http://www.humankinetics.com/products/s ... pt_id=2941

And this video was cool, too:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/500581/sl ... _amazingg/

Doc :)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:15 pm

That's a normal effect of the adrenaline dump. Tachypsychia is also an effect of the adrenaline dump making them indirectly (not directly related).

My layman's opinion is that it is probably phenomenon acting on the buffer between our sensory organs and the consciousness (all our processing and memory). On the other hand, Rory Miller reported some strange experience at the end of Meditions on Violence (to imitate Chris McKinely here, don't buy this book if you are hoping for magic bullets or magic moments, buy a Kodak camera instead).
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:38 pm

I had this happen to me in high school. I was going down a hill on my bicycle and ran into a car that was pulling out of a driveway. I was thrown over the hood of the stationwagon and going over I experience time going slower and was able to roll, aikido style, as I landed. Came to my feet and ran a few steps. I was without a scratch. You should have seen the state of the women who 'hit' me. She was screaming and was sure I was dead as she saw me go flying by, in front of her windshield.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Walk the Torque on Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:17 am

G
Bill wrote:I had this happen to me in high school. I was going down a hill on my bicycle and ran into a car that was pulling out of a driveway. I was thrown over the hood of the stationwagon and going over I experience time going slower and was able to roll, aikido style, as I landed. Came to my feet and ran a few steps. I was without a scratch. You should have seen the state of the women who 'hit' me. She was screaming and was sure I was dead as she saw me go flying by, in front of her windshield.

Gee, with that kind of presence of mind you should have turned, smiled and waved as you past the windscreen ;D

Cool story though
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby I am... on Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:02 am

Lots of practice, and lots of Zazen. The more you remove fear from the equation, the less "multithreading" your mind has to do, and the more resources you have to bring to bear on the present moment. I can't speak on this as regards to firearms, but as regards hand to hand and knives, I have some first hand non simulated experience there. That being said, the more mindful the state, the less likely you will need to fight in the first place, so it is sort of a catch 22.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan