Tachypsychia

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Tachypsychia

Postby Peacedog on Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:38 pm

xxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by Peacedog on Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Re: Tachypsychia

Postby shawnsegler on Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:57 pm

Ok...we've been skirting around this for years guys..but isn't this sort of thing a little bent?

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:37 pm

Happened to me by accident once, in a near car collision I averted by taking to the weeds (and damaging the suspension in a ditch). I found it unpleasant and needed to defecate immediately.

Call up tachypsychia on demand? I've heard tell that it can be done, but no one has told me how. The only fellow who told me, in person, that he could do it was pretty much of a bullshitter anyway, and the other accounts I have run across are hearsay.

Come to that--does something really happen to change your perception at the time, or do you just remember it that way? Really, really detailed memories that take a while to sort through? I've got lots of questions.
Last edited by klonk on Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:13 pm

shawnsegler wrote:Ok...we've been skirting around this for years guys..but isn't this sort of thing a little bent?

S

Overall I think it's an unpleasant and unhelpful state compared to clear awareness, which according to some I know also provides the benefit of your opponent appearing to move in slow motion without the drawbacks of the adrenaline dump like decreased motor skills.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:57 pm

I'm not sure it exists, except in memory. And nightmares.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby RobP on Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:00 am

SOme of the Russian guys spoke about this, but I never heard much more than a few ideas. However those guys went through some seriously brutal training so be careful what you wish for....
RobP

Postby Daniel on Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:06 am

Edited for brevity.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Last edited by Daniel on Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:15 am

xxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by Peacedog on Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:22 am

This most commonly occurs during either highly stressful events and involves a pretty significant chemical dump in the body that would be harmful if sustained over time, or during hypnosis. Not sure of the mechanism during hypnosis, but it appears to be something more than just an altered recollection of events. Anecdotally, hypnotized people have been asked to do things like count all the leaves on a tree and have done so accurately within a matter of seconds, whereas it would take the typical non-hypnotized person quite a while to do this. The clear awareness Ashe advocates probably has a lot to do with what happens in the trance state.

Chris McKinley is the one with the expertise in this field, although it takes a lot of typing to explain it and he may not want to go through it all again. I believe he was writing a book on his experiences, so if everybody sends him a check for $100 maybe he can afford to drop everything and hurry up and finish it.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Dr.Rob on Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:44 am

Because the nature of the zone you are entering I would suggest you resource combatants. Chris would certainly have some excellent input.

I would suggest contacting the gentleman that runs http://www.killology.com/...my present arms instructors all feel that this is an excellent resource and an individual who actually has done what he says on the net...not like some unsavoury websites who just rehash articles about paintballing and change the words to 9mm or Glock.

As it being an induced state or something that you are projecting...we never spoke of this in all my experience. But the fact the more you drill and train the more relaxed you are in a firefight. Which explains how all else is moving slow. I have spoke to 2 Blackwater gentleman with extensive histories and they both felt that the more calm and more experienced you become the slower your "victims" become.

Wow what a Xmas theme...May you survive Afghanistan to tell us all of your stories...

Peace or by Pieces. I always win.
Having nothing to lose is the new wealth.

Profitez de la guerre mes enfants, la paix sera terrible.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Dr.Rob
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:47 am

Something from my favorite mad scientist, Michio Kaku. A free falling person and rats on dope!

The free fall tower looks like fun!
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:57 am

Hi guys....I heard my name invoked within a magic circle at midnight so I am compelled to appear. Yes, it exists. Yes, it can happen to anyone under duress or any situation in which a strong adrenal response is initiated. Yes, learning to induce it without the adrenal response can be somewhat difficult and usually takes years of practice to achieve anything truly useful beyond a parlor trick. Learning to retain full mental faculties while in that state is even more difficult. Few have the interest. Fewer have the capability. Fewer still have the perseverance.

Ultimately though, apart from Peacedog's perhaps understandable motivations for being interested in this topic, this thread skirts dangerously close to being a part of a recent trend I've noticed here on EF that has nothing to do with him. Namely, that of "magic bullet" threads. Guys starting threads about the existence, relative merit, and how-to instructions on a variety of things that could only be categorized as proverbial magic bullets when it comes to combat. Or, at the very best, as icing on what must already be a superb cake in order to have any functional merit. Again, I'm not referencing Peacedog on this.

It's kinda disappointing if not surprising to see so much of this. People have always been drawn to the appeal of shortcuts and magic bullets. In all likelihood, that appeal is what drew many of us to Kong Foo in the first place. We saw some example, whether in the movies or in meatspace, that made us say, "Cool, I wanna be able to do that!" Later, as we learned the hard way, there's no magic bullet to kung fu, you have to work your ass off to be able to fight effectively. Still, the lesson didn't seem to be completely learned with some us recently. Again, a lot of threads with topics about minutiae that don't matter diddly in a real fight, or are so completely out of our control that it's not worth spending any serious time on them.

Where are the threads on how to improve the results of your training on combat basics? How to improve the efficiency in IMA's notoriously inefficient approach to teaching combat skills? Or, how to be objective when evaluating all the various nonsense that comes across the forum in the guise of new threads when some stuff has merit but most of it is bunko? All of these would be far more useful than to bring up a given magic bullet for the millionth time for discussion, or to ask how hopelessly-long-dead master-from-another-time-and-country # 2716 flexed his pinky toe while practicing standing there.

Discussing artsy nuance is one thing; doing so repetitively at the expense of anything actually useful in a real fight tends to water down the quality of the forum IMO. It's not that certain subjects can't be discussed, nobody's asking for censorship. It's just that they should pop up, and not in batches, only every once in a while as a lark. Most of the time we should be attempting to discuss those aspects of our arts that are most relevant to self-defense and combat in today's world under today's circumstances.

Just kidding....of course we should be discussing pinky toes. I hear Dong Hai Quan had a secret method of placing a higher percentage of his weight over just the right pinky toe that he used to defeat Yang Lu chan and that he only taught to Cheng Ting hua. Or was it Yin fu? Anyway, only the Tianjin Bagua practitioners have it today....everybody else is a charlatan with a fake lineage.
Last edited by Chris McKinley on Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris McKinley

Postby Daniel on Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:07 pm

Edited for brevity.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Last edited by Daniel on Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:00 pm

There's a martial arts saying I heard somewhere, don't remember where. I've been trying to track down the source. Anyway, the saying is "high skill is the basics perfected." I think it is a good one.

So long as people understand that they will not save their butts with a magic pinkie, then looking into the esoteric weirdness in MA, and there is a lot of it, amounts to harmless amusement. Much of the esoteric stuff will not stand up to the test of practical outcomes.

An example of what I mean is seen in the matter of supposed empty force--no touch knockdowns and so forth. If this were the real deal it would have been taken up as maximum priority by military forces everywhere and guns would have been dismissed as superfluous equipment--heavy, noisy and needing cleaning--leave 'em behind!

Tachypsychia is sort of borderline in that it involves a physiological effect that can be experienced, but trying to harness it, to any useful effect, may be a fruitless attempt. Again, if it were a workable thing, everyone would be doing it. You would not be able to be a good boxer or judoka or what have you without this skill, because your opponents would certainly be using it, if it were workable.

The real magic bullets are the things that are mainstram MA, things like whole body use, conscious relaxation, and the three secret principles, which are practice, practice, practice.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:23 pm

I bet if you could figure out how to do it you'd find that it would be pretty detrimental to you pretty quickly.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan