someone just blindside knocking you down in team sports

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

someone just blindside knocking you down in team sports

Postby everything on Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:05 am

this isn't really something I watch out for, but considering baguazhang for "multiple attackers" type of thing, it seems like I could do it. here's two scenarios that happened to me recently. playing something called indoor soccer. our team was better and winning. other team got frustrated and more physical.

1. i ran ahead of the attacker, in front of his path because the ball was there. he just pushed me down and then complained i can't cut in front (not true) when i won the free kick.
2. ran to cut off attacker, started to block path of ball. this guy just shoulder charged me with a pretty good "kao" instead of making any attempt to play. i won the free kick but in this case no one complained as the foul was obvious.

in this case, i didn't really care as my breakfall was pretty ok, and i was happy to win the free kicks and give them no chance to continue the attacking play. OTOH, it seems stupid to me to not better factor in the variable some idiot will just use "pushing" or "kao".

Q: if you are assuming 1v1. push hands or other similar MA context, there are things you might do as anti-kao or anti-knockdown. when you aren't assuming this context, but if you assume someone may come along and accidentally or deliberately collide, how should you approach your anti-knockdown defense?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: someone just blindside knocking you down in team sports

Postby Steve James on Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:01 am

Relax. Either it'll kill you or not. Seriously, your fall or roll technique has to be second nature. However, the opponent's best strategy will be to hit you when you can't see it coming. Those are the ones that get you.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:07 am

I'm ok with my fall technique. Usually fine. One good thing about MA I still use.

I'd rather have one eye out for fouls when it's obvious the opponent is frustrated, but without fouling back. Much more satisfying to just keep winning. But I don't want to get needlessly fouled.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:10 am

everything wrote:when you aren't assuming this context, but if you assume someone may come along and accidentally or deliberately collide, how should you approach your anti-knockdown defense?

Drop the bodyweight (squat down) & stick a shoulder into them. It's hard to flatten someone when they are lower than you. It's really easy to ankle tap someone who is standing high up & running.

To condition for it:
1. Get used to being hit (peda/any contact sports)
2. Lots of squats
dspyrido
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan