Aikido, Taijiuan, XingYi IRL

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Aikido, Taijiuan, XingYi IRL

Postby C.J.W. on Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:04 pm

marvin8 wrote:You provided a "straw man" without answering:

No...it was a fitting example which illustrated the difference between functionality and high-level skill.

My point is that they are not necessarily the same. Do we agree on that? If not, then there's no point in continuing the discussion because I'm not interested in debating.

P.S. For someone who is as Youtube-savvy as you are, I'm sure you can find plenty of video clips that show the differences between good and bad joint locks. ;)
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:22 pm

johnwang wrote:Is the term "high level" only used by the IMA people? I have never heard about any long fist guy, preying mantis guy, Baji guy, WC guy, boxer, Judo guy, wrestler, ... ever use this term.

IMO,

high level = pure blood.
low level = muggle.

It divides people instead of unites people. What's more important? You can fight, or you are high level?

A: My skill is high level. Your skill is low level.
B: I can fight. You can't.
A: Even if you can fight, you are still low level.
B: Even if you are high level, you still can't fight.
A: @#$%^&
B: &^%$#@

Nope. No need to drag internal vs external into this. We can even replace "high-level skill" with "good skill" if you prefer.

My point is that being able to win in a fight doesn't necessarily mean you have "good skill" (i.e., know how to use your body efficiently.)

If a middle-aged SC guy with 20 years of experience gets beat up on the street by a guy half his age but twice his size, would you say the thug is more skilled?
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:50 pm

C.J.W. wrote:Nope. No need to drag internal vs external into this. We can even replace "high-level skill" with "good skill" if you prefer.

My point is that being able to win in a fight doesn't necessarily mean you have "good skill" (i.e., know how to use your body efficiently.)

If a middle-aged SC guy with 20 years of experience gets beat up on the street by a guy half his age but twice his size, would you say the thug is more skilled?

I like "good skill" better than "high level".

I don't understand your logic here. If you have "good skill" and you can't fight, what's the usage of your "good skill"? What's the usage that if you have a PhD degree from MIT but you can't even find a job?

If a 20 years pf experience middle-aged SC guy gets beaten up by a 20 years twice his size, I'll say this SC guy has "bad skill" by definition.

Definition:

Good skill - you MA skill can work in fighting.
Bad skill - you MA skill cannot work in fighting.
Last edited by johnwang on Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:57 pm

C.J.W. wrote:P.S. For someone who is as Youtube-savvy as you are, I'm sure you can find plenty of video clips that show the differences between good and bad joint locks.

Since you are the one stating the author's "understanding of IMA is superficial," it would be more fitting (and interesting) for you to explain the differences and show a video:
C.J.W. wrote:While I'm glad to hear that he finds Aikido, Taiji, and Xingyi useful in his career as a police officer, based on the stylistic comparisons in the article, it seems to me that his understanding of IMA still remains at a very technique-based and somewhat superficial level.

Quite black-belt-magazine-ish if you ask me. :)

C.J.W. wrote:My point is that being able to win in a fight doesn't necessarily mean you have "good skill" (i.e., know how to use your body efficiently.)

You bring up a "straw man" without explaining your statement that the author's IMA is "superficial and quite black-belt-magazine-ish."

GrahamB has posted "Little Guy vs Big Guy Fight Compilation" and here is a video "Wing Chun VS Boxing With Only One Arm" where skill (e.g., technique, footwork, distance, etc.) wins the fight, not "brute strength, size, and athleticism:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YJBqU-ygvs
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:30 pm

Don Angier used his Yanagi ryu aikijujitsu while working as an undercover police officer in I guess what must have been the 60's or 70's. I saw him sometime around 1997 when he was much older and rounder than in the video here. He was just a couple weeks removed from having a stroke, and he looked kind of like Santa Claus with a lazy eye. His skill was such that he routinely demonstrated things that looked like they were pure magic or fakery, but he could explain exactly what he did for all of it, and why it worked. He didn't believe in ki, and insisted that it was all just a practical understanding of physics and how the brain worked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4UQBUs1Bi0

There are plenty of folks around who have used the softer martial arts in "real world" situations-- it's only notable because there are so many teachers around who are either frauds themselves or had the misfortune of being taken advantage of by frauds and just never realized it.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:24 am

bhassler. He looks like a blast to train with. I'm not sure I pass my GrahamB seal of approval to that 'totally turn my back to my opponent' move at 6.25 though.... - hello darkness my old friend, (via rear naked choke with the other arm...)
Last edited by GrahamB on Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:42 am

Rear naked choke ?...is jui jitsiu going giless
Trick

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan