Learning from a Trad Xingyi Teacher—Interview w/Jon Nicklin

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Learning from a Trad Xingyi Teacher—Interview w/Jon Nicklin

Postby marvin8 on Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:59 pm

"Learning from a Traditional Xingyi Teacher" -- the Internal Fighting Arts Podcast Interview with Jon Nicklin (aka nicklinjm):

Ken Gullette on August 19, 2019 wrote:
Xingyi Master Dai Xueqi and Jon Nicklin

There are a lot of commercial martial arts schools in China, but according to my most recent guest on the Internal Fighting Arts podcast, Jon Nicklin, the best kung-fu teachers in China are "traditional" teachers.

Most traditional teachers teach small groups of dedicated students. They teach at their homes, or in nearby fields or parks.

If you want the real goods, you have to develop a personal relationship with the teacher. Most of the large groups practicing in the public parks in the big cities are "follow me" classes, where instruction is superficial.

Jon Nicklin moved from London to Shanghai several years ago and quickly found Dai Xueqi, the leading instructor of Song style Xinqyiquan in Shanghai.

Dai Xueqi is a business owner, so most of his teaching is done at or near his home on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

I love talking with dedicated martial artists who go to great lengths to study these arts. Jon Nicklin is one of those people.

You can listen to his interview -- the 44th edition of the podcast -- through Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Audello, and other podcast services.

Here is a link to the podcast on Stitcher. You can listen on your computer or download the file. Please share this with others who might be interested.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/intern ... play=false
marvin8
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan