New Swordsmanship Video - The First Eight Drills

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

New Swordsmanship Video - The First Eight Drills

Postby MaartenSFS on Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:22 am

It's been a while since I made a martial arts video.. It took me some time to finalise the curriculum and find some students to film with. In this video I will introduce the first eight solo drills and how they are applied in combat. They are united by a single type of footwork called 跟步 (gēnbù), which refers to the back foot rapidly following the front for added power and the front foot touching down with the heel first. Anyways, here it is:
https://youtu.be/jf7rFnb0cdI

I hope that you enjoyed this content. I intend to do one about the second four drills in the near future, including test-cutting!

Also, in case you missed it, here is an adventure documentary that I made about my last big motorbike trip in China:
https://rumsoakedfist.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28128&sid=36d194afdd9c65cb057c899bd9f2835c
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Re: New Swordsmanship Video - The First Eight Drills

Postby windwalker on Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:00 am

Nice clip.
Good production, nice locations.
It might be nice to contrast this with european-style swordsmanship. Not being a swordsman it reminds me of some work I've seen with long swords.

Off hand the techniques look like basic high percentage movements lending themselves to direct usage mergeing the practice will the usage itself.

Too often in CMA what looks nice is not really very functional, and so not used. An often voiced question in the CMA world, why does it not look like what is practiced.

Your practice is very refreshing in that what is trained is used.
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:22 am

I'm glad that you liked what you saw! It was absolutely my goal both when learning how to fight and when creating this system; that what is trained is what is used. That is how all effective styles are and remain effective. My original plan was to use these eight techniques in the fencing with my student but it ended up not feeling organic and we were running out of time, unfortunately..

There are definitely a lot of similarities with other styles of swordsmanship, but also a number of differences. When I faced the instructor of the local HEMA group last year my skills fared very well despite not having trained for over three months after the big move and job-hunting, etc. The problem when re-creating an art as complex as swordsmanship is that many details are lost. Besides fencing a lot, drills are the best way to improve and those have been lost to time. Also, the internal component, including power generation, should not be underestimated..
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Greg J on Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:36 pm

Nice vid-lesson, Maarten! Good production, well shot, and I appreciated that you showed the solo movement, then solo application, then sparring.

MaartenSFS wrote: ... what is trained is what is used.

This reminds me of the Dog Brothers saying, "if you see it taught, you see it fought."

The only suggestion I have (based on my own limited experience), is that pausing to indicate a cut during sparring is a bad habit to instill. I realize it is helpful from a sparring and learning perspective, but (IMHO) should be avoided most of the time, and not be something done all the time.

Take care, and glad to hear that things are going well.

Best,
Greg
Greg J
Huajing

Postby MaartenSFS on Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:59 pm

Thank you. I am trying to put out a bit more content so that prospective students know what they are getting into.

Just out of curiosity, why do you think that it isn't good to acknowledge hits? We always do, just not as exaggerated as for the video. If there is a longer exchange we count the hits after. The fact is that in unarmoured combat one or two cuts or thrusts is all that is needed to end someone and the rules reflect this. I try to keep it as realistic as possible within the confines of safety [and a less than astronomical budget].. ;)
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Subitai on Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:19 pm

Good Job Maarten... :)
Subitai
Huajing

Postby MaartenSFS on Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:26 pm

Thanks, mate. :)
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby nicklinjm on Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:40 pm

Nice video man, liked the techniques and the presentation! :)
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:32 am

Very nice material, Maarten
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:35 am

nicklinjm wrote:Nice video man, liked the techniques and the presentation! :)

It took me a while to think about how best to present it and add some things that haven't been seen before. Thanks!
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:39 am

Tom wrote:Meh:

(1) No silk pyjamas.

(2) No blood.

(3) The student remained alive.

8-)

Seriously, the film is well-organized and clearly demonstrated. I have no problem for demonstration purposes with acknowledging the cuts during sparring. Uninterrupted live sparring using the techniques is also good . . . and fun.

Thanks for posting it. I look forward to the next one.

Note to self: Simulated deaths do not attract viewers.. -twisted-

Yes, uninterrupted sparring has it's place too. We do both. We usually start with that and then bring it back to reality with point fencing where every hit counts. Yes, I know, the opposite approach to unarmed combat! I really don't believe in point sparring for unarmed fighting...
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:40 am

oragami_itto wrote:Very nice material, Maarten

Gratitude. :)
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Greg J on Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:24 pm

MaartenSFS wrote:
Just out of curiosity, why do you think that it isn't good to acknowledge hits? We always do, just not as exaggerated as for the video. If there is a longer exchange we count the hits after. The fact is that in unarmoured combat one or two cuts or thrusts is all that is needed to end someone and the rules reflect this. I try to keep it as realistic as possible within the confines of safety [and a less than astronomical budget].. ;)

Hi Maarten,

Sorry for the delay. I wasn't trying to make a categorical "you must do this" type of statement. Indicating cuts during friendly weapons-based sparring is helpful, because it reminds us that we are using simulated blades. But (IMHO) shouldn't be done all the time because it can form a habit that gets generalized out and can become a liability. I've stick sparred with people (using rattan) who will stop to indicate a hit and then reset, because they are doing in the adrenal state what they have trained in the adrenal state, and it sets them up to get smashed.

Does this make sense?

Thanks and take care,
Greg
Greg J
Huajing

Postby MaartenSFS on Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:46 am

Sorry, I'm confused... Could you elaborate?

I'll explain my method in more detail because it sounds like we believe the opposite. When we fence without stopping to acknowledge hits this is the less realistic fencing because usually one solid hit is enough to stop them at least momentarily. When we fence for points this is the more realistic fencing because every hit counts and one must be more cautious. We ignore grazes and light hits and count hits that were delivered immediately after the first hit, especially if the attack had already been initiated before that hit. If there was a barrage of hits we just calculate who won (if both people didn't die) after the dust settles..
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Greg J on Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:01 am

Hi Maarten,

I'll try to elaborate, hopefully it makes sense. :)

I don't think we believe the opposite. When fencing, or using simulated blades, indicating a cut is helpful because it keeps everyone honest.

The only point I was trying to make is that I think that you don't want to make pausing to indicate a cut a habit because it will be a liability if they spar with a non-bladed impact weapon (i.e., a stick).

Sorry I wasn't clearer.

Best,
Greg
Greg J
Huajing

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan