Solar Plexus vs Tan Tien

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Solar Plexus vs Tan Tien

Postby bigphatwong on Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:18 pm

Round 1... DING! (j/k :D )

Forgive me if this is kind of a chi-headed question, but I am reminded of a post by P. Andrews emphasizing being led by the solar plexus instead of the lower tan tien. I've been playing with this concept a lot in my Hsing-i, and find that my movements are lighter and more effortless than they have been ... not as stuck in the physical. I'm also finding it easier to link up my mind with what I'm doing, particularly when I am tired or physically/emotionally zapped for whatever reason (I struggle with anxiety issues, and the SP area has always been the most challenging for me to relax)

And, as an added boner :) ... what are the health/martial benefits of "rooting up" or drawing power from the sky as opposed to from the ground?

Experiences, insights or quips?
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Re: Solar Plexus vs Tan Tien

Postby Swede on Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:14 pm

I won't speak for them, but I believe Systema tends to work more with the solar plexus as center instead of dan tian. If, RobP, Ian, and Teo don't chime in on this one, try sending them PM's.
Swede
Mingjing

Postby mixjourneyman on Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:03 pm

Just don't press forward on your solar plexus the way your would on your dan tien at the end of pi, or you might get a bit of an ouchie ;D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:24 pm

I like the Indian term "hara", which is the center of the body according to Indian tradition. But I guess solar plexus is good as well.

The three dan tian are places inside the body. Some people have strange approaches to the term "dan tian", so personally I don't use it very much. I think it is better to speak about a more visible and physical center, then there will be not as much confusion.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:38 pm

the center is the dan tien. It is also the Hara, the center of gravity on most everyone and as well it is where the large arteries split and feed the legs blood. The central dan tien is located roughly at teh solar plexus and the upper dan tien being located at the crown of your head. these are three celestial centers of the human body where there is an abundance of elan vital and it is distributed throughout via the networks and channels as they are.

in other words, in spite of our imagining it while we meditate in standing post, it is a physically real part of our bodies that represents all of the above and the only make believe is us envisioning it as a glowing chi ball when in fact it is a blood soaked network of innards all hard at work to keep you upright. :)
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:41 pm

what i mean is, your center of gravity is located at the lower dan tien not the middle or upper.

moving chi between the centers is how you get your rising, falling energies, light skills, heavy skills etc etc.

lower dan tien is about 1-2 inches below your belly button and about 3 inches inside of you located pretty much where your arteries split.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:01 pm

Swede wrote:I won't speak for them, but I believe Systema tends to work more with the solar plexus as center instead of dan tian. If, RobP, Ian, and Teo don't chime in on this one, try sending them PM's.

Well, in my understanding, due to the original religions there, the Russians considered that the body had 2 centers: the solar plexus and the lunar plexus (IME the Dan Tien). They evolve around each other, which is one of the reasons that Systema has a particular spinal work and figure 8 paths in most of the movements. What is interesting and this applies to martial arts, is that the body's center of gravity is said to be placed somewhere between these two extremes: at rest and when the body shortens, the center is in the lunar plexus, when it extends, it is in the solar plexus. From a physical point of view to me this makes sense as we are not a solid block, but a body made of moving parts that constantly change their relationship to one another.

There is no concept of Chi in Systema, but breath would be the closest thing. However, we are not directed to particularly fill one plexus or another, probably due to the fact that breathing in Systema has to be very adaptable. But this is another topic.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby kshurika on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:15 pm

"Hara" is a Japanese term. If you want to know everything about it, read Karlfried Graf vonDurckheim's "Hara, the Vital Center of Man". It's a book of the most profound brilliance (or brilliant profundity). The word for it in yoga anatomy is "kanda" (the bulb). Yogis regard it as the storehouse of half of a person's inner prana (Sanskrit equivalent of "chi"). The other half is held in "hrit padma" (heart lotus), which corresponds roughly with the solar plexus.

My Xingyi teacher told me just recently to keep the chest up and forward, not to let it collapse. This is pretty much what I tell my students when practicing yogasana or pranayama.
kshurika
Wuji

Postby Walk the Torque on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:46 pm

bigphatwong wrote:Round 1... DING! (j/k :D )

Forgive me if this is kind of a chi-headed question, but I am reminded of a post by P. Andrews emphasizing being led by the solar plexus instead of the lower tan tien. I've been playing with this concept a lot in my Hsing-i, and find that my movements are lighter and more effortless than they have been ... not as stuck in the physical. I'm also finding it easier to link up my mind with what I'm doing, particularly when I am tired or physically/emotionally zapped for whatever reason (I struggle with anxiety issues, and the SP area has always been the most challenging for me to relax)

And, as an added boner :) ... what are the health/martial benefits of "rooting up" or drawing power from the sky as opposed to from the ground?

Experiences, insights or quips?

Hi Bigphatwong,

I have stumbled across this one also and I know what your saying re lighter movement etc. I think it has something to do with engaging Trans Ab, inter costals (adding stability) and also adding a bit of balance to the usage of the muscles in the torso. I go along with the idea that there are three dantien and that they can be intergrated to great effect. Having said this though, starting or "being led" from the solor plexus is ok as long as the energy goes downward as well as the hands.

I use tend to use these things a little like remedial medicine; if I get too flighty and hyped up I conclude that I have let the energy rise too much and therefore sink intent to the lower dantien till I feel settled enough.

But I seem to be getting alot out of Using the middle dantein as a centre.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:58 pm

What are you asking bro? About the center of gravity for the body, or qi shit?
If it is qi shit, not sure what you are asking.
In regards to the "Dan Tien" in martial reference:
The body has three axis' and they all meet in the area often referred to as the "Dan Tien." Has nothing, NOTHING to do with qi, but as stated earlier, everything to do with the physical center of your body.
Jake
JAB

Postby Bao on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:09 pm

kshurika wrote:"Hara" is a Japanese term.

Sorry, of course it is, my mistake. Maybe I made a connection between meditation and yoga. Heck I don't know why I got the idea it was an indian term.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:12 pm

P. Andrews is my XingYi brother - a very fine XY practitioner too. He stopped posting here after y'all started hating on him. Seems like some of you guys were interested in what he was saying though. I'll try and coax him back to post on this thread... ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:24 pm

GrahamB wrote:P. Andrews is my XingYi brother - a very fine XY practitioner too. He stopped posting here after y'all started hating on him. Seems like some of you guys were interested in what he was saying though. I'll try and coax him back to post on this thread... ;D

please do. i met him and found he has some good insites going on with his hsing i practice.
bruce
Great Old One

Postby bigphatwong on Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:51 pm

Graham,
that'd be cool, I enjoyed his posts as well.

Jake,
mostly what I'm getting at is the energetic aspect of the mind leading the body. So yeah, I guess it is some "qi shit" if you will. Don't tase me, bro! :D
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:05 pm

The Indian term you're probably thinking of is chakra. The heart center chakra seems to correspond to the middle dantian, somewhere around the solar plexus.

Without getting into "qi shit" too much, if you put your intent higher, it seems natural you'd feel "lighter on your feet". If you put your intent lower and feel you're "sinking", you probably will feel more "rooted".

Qi shit tangent: I would like to know more on "sinking qi to dantian" in general. Yoga does not seem to place particular emphasis on this chakra.
Last edited by everything on Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan