Solar Plexus vs Tan Tien

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Solar Plexus vs Tan Tien

Postby GrahamB on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:22 am

Peacedog wrote:Next, I have had three people I trust tell me that if you regularly discharge fah jing from the middle dan tien that it is extremely hard on the body and will eventually kill you if done often enough.

I met a guy from taiwan once who said that a great master had kicked him in the leg and left a ball of chi in his leg that took weeks of energy work to dissipate.

I just raised my eyebrows and said 'Yeah, over here we call that a bruise' - he laughed.

Then we did some training and gave each other some more bruises. Maybe he called those chi balls too? ;D

All I'm saying is don't believe everything people tell you about 'discharging' chi and it killing you.
Last edited by GrahamB on Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:08 am

When your buddy asks a bunch of silly questions pertaining to your kung fu training, and you get frustrated with the BS.....take a look at the threads such as this one, and that is your answer to why CMA are swirling like a fruit log on X Mas morn!!!
JAB

Postby Ian on Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:00 am

Peacedog wrote:blah

mate, I have no idea what most of that meant.
Ian

Postby GrahamB on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:52 am

To try and turn this thread back to more practical realities:

This is what I'd say is a pretty good example of the way moving from the solar plexis area (more mobile) differs from moving from the dan tien area (more solid and used legs for power):

Thing to note:

The guy is completely mobile all the time (no time to 'push off the ground'), yet never looks like he's falling over, and can still strike with decent power. (Looks to me like he's trained in something, and he's doing an amazing job against multiple attackers)

Not saying moving from SP is better than moving from DT, just different.

Comments? Thoughts?
Last edited by GrahamB on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby velalavela on Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:52 am

I think he's learnt how to box.
velalavela
Anjing

Postby Bao on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:31 am

"nobody has time to think about sinking qi."

Yes, that's true. Just as no one has time to warm up or stretch before they are thrown into a fight. It is a little bit interesting to compare our practice with a musician. Think about a violin player who spend a lot of time to warm up before every concert. They must do this, otherwise they can not control the instrument sufficiently. When you practice a martial art, you have a lot of time to prepare yourself if you enter a competition or have a sparring session, but when it really matters, you have no chance to prepare yourself. You must reach to a point where you can switch on and of what you need just like you switch on and off a light bulb. Well, it's obviously much more easier said than done. But with that said, I think that "sinking qi into the dantian" should more be considered as an ingredient of body mechanics. You need to use your body as a whole, and the center for this whole is somewhere in the stomach area, call it whatevah you wish. As when you punch, it is pointless to merely "think" or try to imagine your qi sinking down to the dan tian. Instead, we must learn how to use this area in a most active way, incorporate the "sinking" in the very physcial action. Then, as you practice over and over again, this "sinking" will become the most natural part of your body mechanics, so you don't even need to think about it when you punch.

btw, in an earlier discussion someone said that the guy in the clip was a trained guard...
Last edited by Bao on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:02 am

that guy did great. anyone know what the fight was about?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:26 pm

everything wrote:that guy did great. anyone know what the fight was about?

Turkish road rage, if I remember right.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:30 am

sometimes lead with head, sometimes lead with fist, sometimes lead with dan tien, sometimes lead with solar plexus.

if done right, no can defend.
Ian

Postby Daniel on Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:47 pm

"Too old, too old to begin the training."

-saber-

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan