Mix styles

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Mix styles

Postby MaartenSFS on Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:59 pm

johnwang wrote:
dspyrido wrote:The question then is - why learn 4+ styles in CMA? Would learning one style that mixed several styles be the equivalent?

IMO, 1 major and many minors should be the best approach.

Exactly. I think that you would get along with my Master very well. :D
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby edededed on Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:35 pm

I think that it is okay for each person to decide which drills are best for them.

I like John's example of long fist - I think one could actually teach a child that (very challenging to teach xingyi or bagua drills to children in my opinion). So the "ease of understanding" could be a benefit, too.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Storm on Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:02 am

johnwang wrote:
dspyrido wrote:The question then is - why learn 4+ styles in CMA? Would learning one style that mixed several styles be the equivalent?

IMO, 1 major and many minors should be the best approach.

Thank you for the comment. As I train 3 styles and dabble in a 4th I was getting frustrated that it is no way to properly train all at the same time so was thinking to quit 1 or even 2 in order to focus.
But this is true, focus on one and train a bit from the others to get to know new tactical approaches. Was actually doing it in my training already (having more "weight" on a style) but just didn't get to see one as main and the rest as minor.
Last edited by Storm on Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Storm
Santi

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan