Simple Strategy

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Simple Strategy

Postby johnwang on Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:32 pm

The best way to handle a

- boxer's punch is to wrap his punching arms.
- MT (or TKD) guy's kick is to catch his kicking leg.

What's your opinion on this "simple" strategy?
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: Simple Strategy

Postby Subitai on Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:44 pm

The best way to answer you...

CORRECT! But only if you can do it. :)

Honestly though...I think you are skipping a very important detail when it comes to arm wrapping...I.e., how do you set it up. Because that could be by attacking and grabbing or by intercepting or blocking in some fashion before the wrap.

Reason I say that is because most people may not be as good at grappling as you are. Therefore, a person who is a striker might prefer to Intercept punches or just Dodge or Slip punches in order to set up counters.

Also John, I think you are stating how to begin or start... I think you mean, "Begin by doing this and then proceed to a finish"
Subitai
Huajing

Postby MaartenSFS on Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:30 pm

I think that evading and countering should not be underestimated..
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:16 pm

If the solution is correct, there should be a valid path to reach it. You may have to solve many problems along your path. But at least you don't have to repeat the same strategy such as

- you punch me, I block (or dodge).
- I punch you, you blocks (or dodges).
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:56 pm

johnwang wrote:The best way to handle a

- boxer's punch is to wrap his punching arms.
- MT (or TKD) guy's kick is to catch his kicking leg.

What's your opinion on this "simple" strategy?

used to use this style against many who said they boxed..
coupled with the foot work and unique horse most couldn't really
deal with it.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:05 pm

In this picture, his opponent can borrow his force, spin to the right, and land a left hook on his head. IMO, it's better for him to use his left arm to hit on his opponent's right arm from outside in instead. This way, he doesn't have to deal with his opponent's left arm.

Last edited by johnwang on Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:56 pm

johnwang wrote:In this picture, his opponent can borrow his force, spin to the right, and land a left hook on his head. IMO, it's better for him to use his left arm to hit on his opponent's right arm from outside in instead. This way, he doesn't have to deal with his opponent's left arm.

A small moment in time, what you've mentioned didn't happen to me nor anyone that I know of.

a word about boxing, due to the rule set they can not hit with anything but the end of the glove.
Nor do they condition "that I know of " to getting hit in the forearms or arms..the do condition for body shots.

The simple strategy was to kill the attacking arm or limb while still being out of range of the boxer.
found out at a young age, dont try boxing a boxer, nor grappling with a grappler.
Whats shown in the picture would be followed up with any number of hands,,,the other person would not have time
due to range, and position..

What would happen is that they would start to drop their guard, or in some cases the arm was broken....

The images on the floor were used to practice our footwork patterns on...Footwork being a key
part coupled with the unique basic horse used.

We had / have 4 basic hands, much like a boxers tool box...coupled with foot work to set it up.

A very unique practical style. Lots of conditioning to make it work...
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:04 pm

windwalker wrote:What would happen is that they would start to drop their guard, or in some cases the arm was broken....

The "water" strategy is if your opponent uses force to spin your body, you borrow that force and spin your body even faster.

In the following clip, from 0.01 - 0.07, you can see if you hit and spin one of the dummy's srm, the dummy's other arm can hit you. That's "water" strategy.

johnwang
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:11 pm

johnwang wrote:
windwalker wrote:What would happen is that they would start to drop their guard, or in some cases the arm was broken....

The "water" strategy is if your opponent uses force to spin your body, you borrow that force and spin your body even faster.

In the following clip, from 0.01 - 0.07, you can see if you hit and spin one of the dummy's srm, the dummy's other arm can hit you. That's "water" strategy.

dont know, IME they didnt have time.....

As far as strategy

An important part of the art is the footwork which is very structured and makes the other techniques feasable. The basic philosophy is expressed in four words:

Chon – To destroy the enemy completely so that he can’t renew his attack
Sim – To evade, not meeting force directly but not to go too far into yielding
Chun – To penetrate by aiming at the space in between where the opponent has come out and not yet returned
Jeet – To intercept, checking the opponent’s force before it is released

http://tibetanhopgar.com/tibetan-hop-gar-kung-fu/
windwalker
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan