meaning of xun trigram vs kan trigram in physical practice?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

meaning of xun trigram vs kan trigram in physical practice?

Postby mixjourneyman on Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:11 am

I'm just sorting out some of the meanings of the trigrams in physical practice in bagua.
It seems like Xun and Kan must be directly correlated since Xun involves the lower vertebrae and Kan involves the kidneys.
I'm going to commentary from Sun Lutang's classic writings. Though he is not explicit, I'm guessing that Xun involves making the back straight but rounded as well as an energy moving upwards. Kan seems like it involves the mingmen opening and since the trigram is broken on the outsides and solid in the middle must mean to have a balancing force since the ming men is so closely related to the dan tien.

Can anyone further elaborate on this, or whether my idea about it is right or wrong?
I'm also talking to my teacher about this, but I'm interested in getting some other opinions (especially from Dglenn :D ).

Cheers.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Re: meaning of xun trigram vs kan trigram in physical practice?

Postby D_Glenn on Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:39 am

They are connected but all the principles tie in with one another. The kan trigram is solid in the middle which represents keeping the dantian full and expanding outward in all directions, this ties in with the Xun trigram that is broken line on the bottom and represents that if the dantian is full then there is a leaking out in the bottom so the huiyun point is raised due to the xun trigram, also can say that the tailbone needs to tuck due to the Xun and tucking of the tailbone/sacrum opens up the mingmen point in the lower back.

On Kan being water and it is related to the kidneys but in the sense that the kidneys are connected to jing (essence) and the adrenal glands, from the cultivation viewpoint that is seen in Sun's writings the very first step in cultivating jing is that the dantian must be kept full, without that the water at the bottom in regards to the triple burner won't function right and you will never get anything but problems. -fwiw

Here's the rest, but I didn't really describe them with the shapes of the trigrams at the time so you have to know their shapes:

The Qian / Heaven Trigram- The mind (intention, eyes), the hands, and the feet all arrive at the same time when executing techniques. No matter what animal or strike everything should come together in the end. This is the crucial ending point of techniques which requires perfect timing and naturalness that only comes about through the practice of different strikes thousands of times.
The Kun / Water Trigram- The Dantian must always be kept solid and full. This involves breathing into the stomach, allowing the diaphragm to expand downward, rather than breathing just into the lungs alone.
The Gen / Mountain Trigram- The neck and crown of the head or Baihu point is held upright, while the chin is tucked in and pulled back slightly, and the back is kept rounded. This principle may not seem important and is often overlooked, but is extremely crucial when you learn how to use the spine and Dantian to deliver power.
The Zhen / Thunder Trigram- The ten toes must grasp the ground. This can't be stressed enough that yes you actually do want to grab the ground with your toes. There is a limit though, you don't want to grab so much that the balls of your feet come off the ground, find the happy medium. You should follow this principle all the time.
The Xun / Wind Trigram- The hips must be rolled under and the Huiyun point must be raised. This ties in with the second principle because when the area of the dantian is being pushed out in all directions there will be a lot of force downward.
The Li / Fire Trigram- The chest must be kept concaved and pulled back protecting the vital organs from attack. This also ties in with the back being rounded and the shoulders forward. This not only extends your reach but it also brings your vital areas further away from your opponents reach.
The Kun / Earth Trigram- All of the joints in the body must be kept flowing and open.
The Dui / Lake Trigram- The tongue must be kept touching the roof of the mouth. This completes the channels of the Ren and Du meridians.

Last edited by D_Glenn on Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:45 am

Thanks. :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:49 am

Read my edited post.

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:51 am

Cool.
Thanks. :)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan