qigong effect on GPP

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

qigong effect on GPP

Postby everything on Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:45 pm

https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/what ... r-training

not sure they link to the actual study but they claim statistical significance in the qigong intervention group giving performance gains (not sure of the metrics). maybe the study can be found separately.

Using three teams as our participants, we took volunteers who would be willing to wake up early Monday through Friday for a 6:00am Qigong recharge for eight weeks. Both intervention and control groups were given the exact same GPP weight-training program. The loads were determined by obtaining maximals prior to onset of the study (front squat, bench press, deadlift, and vertical jump) and loads were assigned to everyone using the exact same percentages throughout the program.

73 participants completed the eight weeks and we were able to find statistical significance across the board in favor of the Qigong intervention. Some of the numbers produced by the individuals from the Qigong group were so staggering I would not have believed it had I not seen it with my own eyes. We’re talking PED type numbers.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: qigong effect on GPP

Postby Peacedog on Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:22 am

In general, I've seen qigong "get" an already conditioned athlete another 5-10% quickly and maybe 20% with time. The problem is it really won't do much for you in that regard if you aren't already conditioned and people have a tendency to drop time normally spent on strength and conditioning in favor of qi gong. So they get deconditioned over time.

It also tends to slow the loss of speed that accompanies the aging process in older practitioners. And conventional strength and conditioning cannot help with this age related loss of muscle speed contraction. Even well into middle-age I maintain the explosiveness of men in their late 20's and early 30's. But I had a slight genetic advantage in this regard when younger and I am not as fast as I was in my late 20's when this normally peaks in most people either. Keep in mind I was well into qi gong practice by that point as well, so I'm not sure what my untrained "natural" potential was.

The study can be found here: https://digitalcommons.calpoly.edu/cgi/ ... gt8JzF6_pU

It's not bad. The only thing I didn't like was their focus on "well being", much like studies that try to measure "health", as this is a metric that cannot be validated empirically. It takes away from the otherwise excellent findings of the study.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Re: qigong effect on GPP

Postby everything on Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:39 pm

Ah gotcha, yeah "well being" doesn't seem like a good metric for this study. Umphgh.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan