Shih Shui Gong training with James McNeil

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Shih Shui Gong training with James McNeil

Postby edededed on Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:15 pm

Interesting side-effect!

Perhaps the next time I have some lower back pain, I can try pulling my junk (gently).

For those without junk (i.e. women), I wonder what might be a good substitute for them...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:53 am

Women don’t get lower back pain, they get headaches
Trick

Postby GrahamB on Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:50 am

The mind boggles, firstly at what you can get out of this that can't be aquired with more, shall we say, conventional internal martial arts pracitces? And also, at how much free time you must have. There's more than enough to keep me busy in a day with normal internal martial arts practices, without having time to swing stuff off my junk.

I'm impressed with your dedication, if not your application.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:04 pm

Shih shui gong is pretty time efficient as far as primary power generating methods go. Sixty to 90 minutes per day for 100 days initially. Followed by as little as 2-3 times per week for 45-60 minutes. Most fit people I know spend more time in the gym.

Running the orbits for power generation (micro/macrocosmic) takes 3-4 hours per day for 100 days followed by a good 90 minutes per day of practice to maintain the effect.

Trulkhor is a good 45-60 minutes per session. And that is a daily practice.

Tummo is a good 60-90 minutes per session and needs to be done at least three times per day to maintain the effect under harsh conditions.

Even most basic "health" qi gongs are a good 30 minutes a day to get anything out of.

If you are into posture holding, that is at least 20 minutes per session in my experience.

All that being said, I've as of yet to find anything more effective than shih shui for maintaining/improving the functioning of the endocrine system. And it is the only system I've seen where practitioners in their 80s and above look both good and fit.

As for time and money. We make our choices in life. Ultimately, those I've met who had the most time for practice are all self employed. I don't think that is a new phenomena either.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:18 am

Just think if Yang Luchan had been a swinger, then perhaps Taijiquan would not be looked down as an only good for old lady exercise.........
Trick

Postby Peacedog on Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:49 am

From what I understand he was one hell of a swinger, but we're probably talking about different things here. LOL.

In any event, to swing is the thing....

Last edited by Peacedog on Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan