Record what you can do

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Record what you can do

Postby johnwang on Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:59 pm

The following clips contain a lot of information. If you can create a clip like these, you have contributed to the MA world big time.

I like this kind of clip. Just do it. no talking.

Your thought?



Last edited by johnwang on Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm still allergic to "push".
User avatar
johnwang
Great Old One
 
Posts: 9468
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 5:26 pm

Re: Record what you can do

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:11 pm

For proving your martial skills these [url]demos[/url] are almost as bad as 空劲 videos. Show me wrestling with a fully resisting opponent. This is MUCH easier to do with wrestling than striking. With striking it's a lot less safer. The easiest thing is to make anyone look good with these silly demos.

I am so tired of these demos. They prove nothing. If the teacher is showing you how to do techniques, that's fine. It may even seem like he does them very well. It still doesn't prove that he can use it in a fight. "Oh! I'm the master! I can beat up my compliant students!" If the teacher doesn't claim that they show their fighting prowess, it doesn't really bother me, but the way that you have posted it here to "record what you can do" does. That's bullshit.

When 陈自强 took wrestling challenges from seemingly anyone at his seminars, that impressed me. Even that could have been a bit staged, but it still showcased his skills. Despite all the staged "fights", secrecy and politics coming out of 陈家沟 I still respect that a lot more than this. Wrestling is a sport, so there are plenty of videos showing masters winning competitions or wrestling against fully resisting opponents. Show us those, John. I know that you can do better than this.
User avatar
MaartenSFS
Wuji
 
Posts: 2233
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:22 pm
Location: Lansing, Michigan

Re: Record what you can do

Postby johnwang on Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:20 pm

These clips may not show what you can fight. It shows what you can do (or teach).

Some clips just talk too much. I like these kind of "silent" clip.
Last edited by johnwang on Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm still allergic to "push".
User avatar
johnwang
Great Old One
 
Posts: 9468
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 5:26 pm

Re: Record what you can do

Postby Bhassler on Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:26 pm

MaartenSFS wrote:For proving your martial skills these [url]demos[/url] are almost as bad as 空劲 videos. Show me wrestling with a fully resisting opponent. This is MUCH easier to do with wrestling than striking. With striking it's a lot less safer. The easiest thing is to make anyone look good with these silly demos.

I am so tired of these demos. They prove nothing. If the teacher is showing you how to do techniques, that's fine. It may even seem like he does them very well. It still doesn't prove that he can use it in a fight. "Oh! I'm the master! I can beat up my compliant students!" If the teacher doesn't claim that they show their fighting prowess, it doesn't really bother me, but the way that you have posted it here to "record what you can do" does. That's bullshit.

When 陈自强 took wrestling challenges from seemingly anyone at his seminars, that impressed me. Even that could have been a bit staged, but it still showcased his skills. Despite all the staged "fights", secrecy and politics coming out of 陈家沟 I still respect that a lot more than this. Wrestling is a sport, so there are plenty of videos showing masters winning competitions or wrestling against fully resisting opponents. Show us those, John. I know that you can do better than this.


Harsh words from someone who's own videos primarily show him beating up his own students (or plants). There are plenty of MMA competitions around that would be suitable for showcasing one's awesome striking skills, were someone inclined to do so. Beyond that, you seem to have missed the point, which is just to show a technique being performed rather than blathering on endlessly about... whatever. Nobody said anything about it being proof of their own awesomeness-- that appears to be your personal fixation that you're now projecting onto others.
Bhassler
Great Old One
 
Posts: 3199
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 8:05 pm
Location: xxxxxxx

Re: Record what you can do

Postby johnwang on Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:00 pm

Bhassler wrote: which is just to show a technique being performed ...

Don't wait until you are 80 years old to make this clip. Record it when you can still do it. With a clip like that, you have recorded the result of your life long CMA training.

One of my students is going to take the 4th degree BB test. Since in ACSCA, the 4th degree BB testing requirement has not been defined yet, I want my student to create a clip like this with 100 techniques. IMO, this can be a nice test for a personal's knowledge.
Last edited by johnwang on Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm still allergic to "push".
User avatar
johnwang
Great Old One
 
Posts: 9468
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 5:26 pm

Re: Record what you can do

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:40 pm

Bhassler wrote:
MaartenSFS wrote:For proving your martial skills these [url]demos[/url] are almost as bad as 空劲 videos. Show me wrestling with a fully resisting opponent. This is MUCH easier to do with wrestling than striking. With striking it's a lot less safer. The easiest thing is to make anyone look good with these silly demos.

I am so tired of these demos. They prove nothing. If the teacher is showing you how to do techniques, that's fine. It may even seem like he does them very well. It still doesn't prove that he can use it in a fight. "Oh! I'm the master! I can beat up my compliant students!" If the teacher doesn't claim that they show their fighting prowess, it doesn't really bother me, but the way that you have posted it here to "record what you can do" does. That's bullshit.

When 陈自强 took wrestling challenges from seemingly anyone at his seminars, that impressed me. Even that could have been a bit staged, but it still showcased his skills. Despite all the staged "fights", secrecy and politics coming out of 陈家沟 I still respect that a lot more than this. Wrestling is a sport, so there are plenty of videos showing masters winning competitions or wrestling against fully resisting opponents. Show us those, John. I know that you can do better than this.


Harsh words from someone who's own videos primarily show him beating up his own students (or plants). There are plenty of MMA competitions around that would be suitable for showcasing one's awesome striking skills, were someone inclined to do so. Beyond that, you seem to have missed the point, which is just to show a technique being performed rather than blathering on endlessly about... whatever. Nobody said anything about it being proof of their own awesomeness-- that appears to be your personal fixation that you're now projecting onto others.

That is so far from the truth. I literally have no videos where I beat up a helpless student. They were always allowed to fight back. I never claimed them to be anything but demonstrations, but at least they were fully resisting. It's not my fault that they were beginners and kept running away. I shot videos with anyone that was willing, which was not easy. I sparred with anyone that was willing. I searched high and low for sparring partners and was lucky enough to find any, much less agree to film it. You haven't any clue how hard that was. I was barred from several competitions in China because I was a foreigner and didn't have any money to travel. I was slumming it for years to finish my studies and bring the art back with me to the West. Then I came back and no one is interested and I just feel tired and broken.

I have never made any grand claims about my fighting prowess. I just take issue with charlatans passing off rubbish as Gongfu or kickboxers passing off kickboxing as traditional Gongfu. I'm also tired of these demos because ANYONE can look good in these kinds of demonstrations and it proves nothing. The title of this thread invited such a response. Anyways, I believe that you live in the same state as you do, so you are free to pop by if you really think that I'm full of it...
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
MaartenSFS
Wuji
 
Posts: 2233
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:22 pm
Location: Lansing, Michigan

Re: Record what you can do

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:47 pm

johnwang wrote:These clips may not show what you can fight. It shows what you can do (or teach).

Some clips just talk too much. I like these kind of "silent" clip.

If someone is young enough they should film this clip AND show how it is used in sparring against a fully resisting opponent. That is the ONLY thing that will save Gongfu.
User avatar
MaartenSFS
Wuji
 
Posts: 2233
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:22 pm
Location: Lansing, Michigan

Re: Record what you can do

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:53 pm

Since I've been quarantined I've had a lot of time to think and I decided to redo my entire unarmed fighting system from the ground up. I injured my left foot very badly and it never recovered and injured my right foot a little as well, so I removed all kicks and turned it into a "Chinese Boxing" system. The system revolves around a handful of high percentage striking techniques that work very well (and are uniquely Chinese), training to generate the power to make those techniques effective and partner drills to train to actually hit someone with them. I plan on finding people to spar with as soon as the quarantine lifts and bring my unarmed skills up to the same level as my swordsmanship and hopefully film it. I need to do this NOW, before I get too old. This is for me. I could honestly care less what anyone else thinks...
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
MaartenSFS
Wuji
 
Posts: 2233
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:22 pm
Location: Lansing, Michigan

Re: Record what you can do

Postby johnwang on Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:10 pm

It's a personal challenge.

Can you record 100 different techniques? How about 200, 300, or ...?
I'm still allergic to "push".
User avatar
johnwang
Great Old One
 
Posts: 9468
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 5:26 pm

Re: Record what you can do

Postby Trick on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:53 am

MaartenSFS wrote:[
It's not my fault that they were beginners and kept running away. .
8-)
Trick
Wuji
 
Posts: 3322
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:30 am

Re: Record what you can do

Postby Trick on Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:08 am

MaartenSFS wrote:Since I've been quarantined I've had a lot of time to think and I decided to redo my entire unarmed fighting system from the ground up. I injured my left foot very badly and it never recovered and injured my right foot a little as well, so I removed all kicks and turned it into a "Chinese Boxing" system. The system revolves around a handful of high percentage striking techniques that work very well (and are uniquely Chinese), training to generate the power to make those techniques effective and partner drills to train to actually hit someone with them. I plan on finding people to spar with as soon as the quarantine lifts and bring my unarmed skills up to the same level as my swordsmanship and hopefully film it. I need to do this NOW, before I get too old. This is for me. I could honestly care less what anyone else thinks...

If you want to prove to the world about your fighting profess, you’ll probably have to do it in a competitive situations, not sparring...you’ll probably just have to step into an boxing gym for a while then do boxing competitions...if you’re too old to get an license... then go the Kimbo backyard fist fighting way ?
Trick
Wuji
 
Posts: 3322
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:30 am

Re: Record what you can do

Postby MaartenSFS on Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:24 am

I don't care about hundreds or thousands of techniques, just about some that work really well.

This challenge for myself is not to show the whole world that I'm number one. It's just to show that this stuff works for its intended purpose. I have no interest in competitions anymore, just want to find some competentvpeople to spar with..
User avatar
MaartenSFS
Wuji
 
Posts: 2233
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:22 pm
Location: Lansing, Michigan

Re: Record what you can do

Postby Trick on Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:55 am

A boxing gym is a good place for such
Trick
Wuji
 
Posts: 3322
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:30 am

Re: Record what you can do

Postby Bao on Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:18 am

johnwang wrote:Can you record 100 different techniques? How about 200, 300, or ...?


Recording things likes techniques, forms etc, as creating a catalogue is good. Then you can focus your training on just a few meaningful things and won't need to worry about forgetting the other stuff, or about that something will be forgotten.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One
 
Posts: 7447
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 12:46 pm
Location: High up north

Re: Record what you can do

Postby GrahamB on Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:33 am

MaartenSFS wrote:For proving your martial skills these [url]demos[/url] are almost as bad as 空劲 videos. Show me wrestling with a fully resisting opponent. This is MUCH easier to do with wrestling than striking. With striking it's a lot less safer. The easiest thing is to make anyone look good with these silly demos.

I am so tired of these demos. They prove nothing. If the teacher is showing you how to do techniques, that's fine. It may even seem like he does them very well. It still doesn't prove that he can use it in a fight. "Oh! I'm the master! I can beat up my compliant students!" If the teacher doesn't claim that they show their fighting prowess, it doesn't really bother me, but the way that you have posted it here to "record what you can do" does. That's bullshit.

When 陈自强 took wrestling challenges from seemingly anyone at his seminars, that impressed me. Even that could have been a bit staged, but it still showcased his skills. Despite all the staged "fights", secrecy and politics coming out of 陈家沟 I still respect that a lot more than this. Wrestling is a sport, so there are plenty of videos showing masters winning competitions or wrestling against fully resisting opponents. Show us those, John. I know that you can do better than this.


Bizarely aggressive rant about somebody posting a useful set of applications.

Carry on.
The NHS is not drained by migrants, but sustained by them.
Heretics podcast | The Tai Chi Notebook
User avatar
GrahamB
Great Old One
 
Posts: 12270
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 3:30 pm

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: johnwang and 18 guests