Crowdfunding for translating books of Tang Hao and Gu Liuxin

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Crowdfunding for translating books of Tang Hao and Gu Liuxin

Postby jbb73 on Fri May 01, 2020 11:50 pm

Hi there!

In almost every new academic or otherwise serious English (and as far as I know, this also counts for German, Chinese and Japanese) publication concerning the history of the CMA we find references the works of Tang Hao and Gu Liuxin. Some of these references are more precise (book title, edition, page etc.), some less. But very often we find only arbitrary selected and quoted passages, confirming the own opinion.
I know that the works of Tang and Gu are to be looked at very critically (we have ourself a guy in our group, who worked very much on the works of the two, translated some parts and wrote two nice articles on it). Nonetheless, I find it very unsatisfactory, that we still don't have at least complete translations of some major works of the two. For serious research this is an absolutely no-go.

So my idea is: Who would be interested in starting a crowdfunding for a translation of the major works of these two? Could 15.000 - 20.000 Dollar be a fair and realistic price for a well-grounded translation (of one title) in one year? That would mean about 100-200 payors willing to invest about 100 - 200 Dollars. From the translation we could make a BoD for the subscribers, that would be not very much cost additionally. In this way, we could have in some years a solid scriptural basis for finally using and rating these two most important CMA-researchers of the early 20 century. Of course this kind of project could be enlarged to other important works (Wu Tunan, Kang Gewu and so on).

Please: Try to minimize discussion about the importance of Tang and Gu ;) (If you're not interested, that's totally okay, but no need to try to convince others here IMO.)
Last edited by jbb73 on Fri May 01, 2020 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbb73
Mingjing

Re: Crowdfunding for translating books of Tang Hao and Gu Liuxin

Postby yeniseri on Sun May 03, 2020 2:22 pm

I have more of a personal interest in the translating of use of yangshenggong (medical qigong or taijiquan for medical conditions) with the corresponding deducation of mechanism of action(s), and or the use of various routine that show efficacy in helping medical or ill-health conditions. My use of Baidu (trnaslation and veracity) leaves much to be desired. Sohu is a little better but many of the terms often lack an anatomy and physiology base even regarding an outcome, or is insufficiently documented. Many of the names associated with the rebirth of cultural heritage have often been the work of 'hacks' ( politically correct phrasing) thoug 1/2 a loaf is better than no bread.

One fellow I periodically look up is the infamous Wu Tunan and it rarely gives anything of positive value, subjective I know, since it is claimed he was knowledgeable in taijiquan and a few other arts but I have never been able to find anything of him doeing a complete form of any kind. Based on what I have found, he was a "slippery bastard" like he wa always taking trick to make luck. A true scoundrel ;D
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby edededed on Wed May 06, 2020 9:16 pm

Somehow not seeing 100-200 RSFers being interested to contribute to this...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Yeung on Thu May 07, 2020 6:31 am

唐豪 《少林武當考》Tang Hao "A Study of Shaolin Wudang" (1930) is an interesting book which refuted various fables of Chinese martial arts from a historical perspective.
Yeung
Wuji

Postby jbb73 on Thu May 07, 2020 11:31 am

edededed wrote:Somehow not seeing 100-200 RSFers being interested to contribute to this...

Yes, indeed... Of course 25 or 50 would be okay, spreading the idea in other networks. But there seems no interest at all :-\
jbb73
Mingjing

Postby jbb73 on Thu May 07, 2020 11:32 am

Yeung wrote:唐豪 《少林武當考》Tang Hao "A Study of Shaolin Wudang" (1930) is an interesting book which refuted various fables of Chinese martial arts from a historical perspective.

Yes, but seemingly nobody is interested in a full translation.
jbb73
Mingjing

Postby Trick on Fri May 08, 2020 12:18 am

Are these books big(lots of writing)? Would they be a difficult translation for anyone proficient in the Chinese language? Are these books(in Chinese) readily available?......
Trick

Postby jbb73 on Fri May 08, 2020 10:28 pm

Trick wrote:Are these books big(lots of writing)? Would they be a difficult translation for anyone proficient in the Chinese language? Are these books(in Chinese) readily available?......

So as far as I can say off the cuff: yes, they are available in Chinese. I guess the language is of course a little bit antiquated, and of course I think it would be necessary, to be familiar with the themes. Can't say how many pages/characters in the different books are.
So if there would be enough people interested and if there would be a translator, we must of course arrange ourselves with which book to start. But that would be a secondary problem I think.
jbb73
Mingjing

Postby Trick on Sat May 09, 2020 1:18 am

jbb73 wrote:
Trick wrote:Are these books big(lots of writing)? Would they be a difficult translation for anyone proficient in the Chinese language? Are these books(in Chinese) readily available?......

So if there would be enough people interested and if there would be a translator, we must of course arrange ourselves with which book to start. But that would be a secondary problem I think.

Why can’t you youself do this ? Now you put the idea out, maybe I steal it 8-)
Trick

Postby .Q. on Sun May 10, 2020 3:07 pm

Somewhat off topic:
I'd rather get translation from 逝去的武林. Also, the person doing translation would matter a lot in regards to whether people are willing to pay (regardless of which book). If it's someone who understands the material deeply translating it (at least better than me), I'd be very willing to pay. If it's someone who understands Chinese but not the material, it's somewhat pointless (for me).
.Q.
Wuji

Postby salcanzonieri on Wed May 20, 2020 9:06 pm

Yeung wrote:唐豪 《少林武當考》Tang Hao "A Study of Shaolin Wudang" (1930) is an interesting book which refuted various fables of Chinese martial arts from a historical perspective.

And plenty of what he said has been proven wrong because he had his own agenda
Also, he never visited Shaanxi province and other areas other than Henan and Beijing areas.
if he had done so, he would have had very different information.
He was known for twisting the truth to fit his ideas, rather than fitting his ideas to the truth.
I have read many Chinese articles about this.
salcanzonieri
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan