Bu Xuekuan

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Bu Xuekuan

Postby Nicrimo on Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:10 pm

Good morning ,

I am a french researcher about stories on old chinese kung fu masters and i have one question :

About Bu Xuekuan:

Did he was considered as one of the best fighters of China of the time ? Did he defeated many challengers in combat during his life? (sorry for my english language )

Thank you very much for your help

Best regards

Nicolas
Nicrimo
Santi

Re: Bu Xuekuan

Postby Felipe Bidó on Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:18 pm

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

From Jarek's website (www.chinafrominside.com)

Bu Xuekuan (1876-1971) started Xingyiquan study at the age of sixteen under Che Yonghong. He also learnt Yuanyang Jiao (Mandarin Duck Kicks) together with Li Fuzhen and Taijiquan and Baguazhang from Sun Lutang. Bu compiled set of health preserving exercises "Marrow Washing Classic" (Xisuijing), Xingyi practice with partner (Xingyi Duilian), Linked Hands (Lianhuanshou) and famous technique he became famous for, "Lion Swallows Hand" (Shizi Tun Shou). In 1913 Bu started to accept students, of whom the most famous were Sun Deyi, Zhang Yongyi, Yan Yuewu, Wu Chaoxiang (who took Xingyi to Brasil) and Li Ying'ang (who taught in Guatemala). Bu Xuekuan became president of Taigu Sports Association in 1918 and martial arts coach at Taigu Mingxian School (the school was established in Taigu by Americans) in 1932.

Later Bu was also director of Taigu County Guoshuguan (Martial Arts Academy). After liberation (1949) Bu Xuekuan was actively promoting Xingyiquan in Shanxi Province as well as taking part in political life. Bu died at the age of 96. His youngest son, Bingquan, was born when Bu was 70.

I am not quite sure if he was known as one of the best fighters of his era, or if he defeated many challengers. It's been long since I read about him.

"Lion Swallows Hand" sounds interesting.
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby edededed on Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:45 pm

Heh, heh! You both quoted the same paragraphs of the same site!

Bu Xuekuan was said to have defeated many challengers using his shizitunshou method, in a way that did not harm them (which was the characteristic of shizitunshou), but I guess the exact identities of these challengers is not widely known - one reason is that he lived in Shanxi (the countryside).
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:03 pm

""His youngest son, Bingquan, was born when Bu was 70.""

POWER!!!!!!
we are not worthy x 3 -bow-
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:18 pm

Strange wrote:""His youngest son, Bingquan, was born when Bu was 70.""

POWER!!!!!!
we are not worthy x 3 -bow-

St Sooty would abide.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan