Dantien movement, noob question

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Dantien movement, noob question

Postby Squeeeez on Mon May 18, 2020 3:47 am

Hi everyone!

Noob checking in -- when I do some movements, my whole abdominal muscles are moving in all kinds of directions. But when you see experienced people moving, there's no visible movement there.
So, how do they do that? How to get there?
Just practice more and it will come on its own? Practice anything specific?
Squeeeez
Santi

Re: Dantien movement, noob question

Postby robert on Mon May 18, 2020 9:28 am

From my experience if you ask Chinese people who can do taiji/xinyi/xingyi/bagua about what they're doing they tend to talk about the kua and the yao. Are you working with a good teacher who can show you how to move correctly? Most people without training move externally so when you start you still move externally. To learn to move internally you need hands on corrections from a good instructor and you need to practice. What to practice depends on what you are studying.

Welcome aboard.
Last edited by robert on Mon May 18, 2020 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Re: Dantien movement, noob question

Postby Squeeeez on Fri May 22, 2020 1:13 am

Thank you, robert and charles, for your answers (although charles' answer disappeared again).
Squeeeez
Santi

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan