Maintain flexibility in your old age

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Maintain flexibility in your old age

Postby everything on Sun May 31, 2020 12:14 pm

bailewen wrote:https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/49956529767/in/dateposted-public/

damn that's fantastic and inspiring.

do you recall what were some of the more challenging steps to get there? and what did you stop doing over the 10 year period to lose some flexibility? besides aging?

my hamstrings used to be super tight and now they feel ok. I think my calves and hips are now relatively not as limber.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sun May 31, 2020 3:15 pm

bailewen wrote:At fifty, I can't do this any more, but this pic was when I was about 40.

Sometime we may just give up a bit too early. Lately I have found that to freeze my kicking leg in the air is getting harder and harder. I decide to spend the next 1 month just concentrate on "hold kicking leg in the air".

When we were young, we can do something. When we get older, we start to lose it. But when we get older, if we spend twice amount (or 3 times amount) of time to maintain, will we still lose it? I don't know. But I like to find out myself.

In other words, when we get older, we should do more and not do less.
Last edited by johnwang on Sun May 31, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm still allergic to "push".
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Xing Yi Monkey on Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:04 pm

Crikey - I hope that I can do that at his age!!
Xing Yi Monkey
Santi

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan