Origin of Taichi Explanation

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Origin of Taichi Explanation

Postby windwalker on Sun May 31, 2020 7:33 am

To go further with what I really meant is that a lot of TCMA exercises, internal or external, are designed to activate and use core muscles, core muscles that are usually not used in daily life.

All muscles are used in life...
The question might be in what proportion and being conscious of it.
It might be more true to say that certain exercises, focus on those groups of muscles
and TCMA exercises make use of and emphasize core muscles development over other muscle groups.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun May 31, 2020 7:36 am

charles wrote: A few years ago, I posted this 15-minute excerpt of my two-hour video, Taijiquan Foundations, Volume 2, An Introduction to Silk Reeling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITAa6ZDiQ5g

Yes, I know. I've always liked the way you present things. Good to see the link so more people can benefit from what you've done here. 8-)

You can see another more whole body use and liveliness in his movements. I can also see the same in various application vids, much more whole body, much more liveliness.

I'll have a look at it. 8-)

I prefer to publicly avoid value judgements in comparing various Chen sub-styles and their practitioners. It serves little constructive purpose to make a value judgement of who is "better".

I make no judgement of who is "better". What could be more interesting for people who want to learn different things is who show "more" in regard to being open and willing to share and who in general is more generous. ;)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby charles on Sun May 31, 2020 7:38 am

Bao wrote:
GrahamB wrote:"core muscles that are usually not used in daily life." - I hear this a lot in IMA circles, and it's rarely challenged, but is it really true? Can you point me to some evidence?

Evidence? What about your own evidence? What's the point listening to evidence on something that has to do with own personal experience?

The catch is that "personal experience" is just that, personal experience. People differ as do their experiences.

If you compare the "experience" of an elite athlete - chose your sport - to someone who is sits at a desk all day and in front of a TV all night, they have different "experiences" regarding whether or not, and to what extent, "the core" is used in their lives, as well as how they use their bodies for their respective daily activities.

Comparing select subsets of the population to compare and offer as "proof" of a particular point isn't particularly valid, such as, say, comparing a couch-potato to a Taijiquan grandmaster who trains four hours per day, versus comparing an elite athlete to that same Taijiquan grandmaster.
charles
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun May 31, 2020 7:42 am

windwalker wrote:All muscles are used in life...

Really? :-\ ???

I see many people on a daily basis who go around with perfectly stiff lower and/or upper backs. They sit and work, walk around and even run the same way. Every single day, the live their lives without doing any movement in those parts of their bodies. It's easy to see who have problems with things as stiff necks and similar.

Consciousness/awareness is the first thing you need to develop to become aware that you use some parts of your body passively or very little.
Last edited by Bao on Sun May 31, 2020 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby charles on Sun May 31, 2020 7:42 am

Bao wrote:What could be more interesting for people who want to learn different things is who show "more" in regard to being open and willing to share and who in general is more generous. ;)

That could be a constructive discussion, one for its own thread, rather than hijack this discussion.
charles
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun May 31, 2020 7:47 am

charles wrote:The catch is that "personal experience" is just that, personal experience. People differ as do their experiences.

Exactly. So why ask for proof? Either you know by experience or not. :-\
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sun May 31, 2020 7:48 am

charles wrote:
Bao wrote:What could be more interesting for people who want to learn different things is who show "more" in regard to being open and willing to share and who in general is more generous. ;)

That could be a constructive discussion, one for its own thread, rather than hijack this discussion.

Agreed. 8-)
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sun May 31, 2020 7:56 am

most probably nothing to mind, but still i do. wheres the "barbwire" go over the shoulders in the from the back image ? it seem gone ....in the front image it show different ?
Trick

Postby Trick on Sun May 31, 2020 7:56 am

The "wires" or lines goes through the back and scapula as well.

Trick

Postby GrahamB on Sun May 31, 2020 8:10 am

No need to get defensive Bao. My point is simply that we use the "core muscles" continually in daily life. Just looking behind you does that.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sun May 31, 2020 8:17 am

Trick wrote:The "wires" or lines goes through the back and scapula as well.

Exactly. 8-) (I mentioned this in the post above with this picture.)
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sun May 31, 2020 8:24 am

GrahamB wrote:No need to get defensive Bao. My point is simply that we use the "core muscles" continually in daily life. Just looking behind you does that.

Not trying being defensive and don't want to come off as that. But I am a bit surprised by the question and I really don't know how to reply. Anyway, I don't agree. Of course every muscle on the body is actually on the body and connected to other muscles. That doesn't mean that everyone use every muscle consciously or engage certain muscles in active manner. I would suspect that you yourself use many muscles in your BJJ practice that most office workers does not.

I don't know if you read the post. What is your comment to the He Jinghan quote or video? Do you believe that he is wrong?
Bao
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun May 31, 2020 9:25 am

Sorry haven't watched it. I'll get around to it. But until then feel free to keep mentioning BJJ, you seem to enjoy bringing it up. ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sun May 31, 2020 9:32 am

Bao wrote:
Really? :-\ ???

I see many people on a daily basis who go around with perfectly stiff lower and/or upper backs. They sit and work, walk around and even run the same way. Every single day, the live their lives without doing any movement in those parts of their bodies. It's easy to see who have problems with things as stiff necks and similar.

Consciousness/awareness is the first thing you need to develop to become aware that you use some parts of your body passively or very little.

yep "really"

I might be concerned if I was teaching something for "health"
What people do with, cause to happen to their bodies is up to them.
My concern is only related to fighting. Any thing else is secondary, incidental to the primary function.

Swimmers swim, mountain climbers climb.

Each develops an awareness depending on need of activity.
If not developed or understood, one can drown, fall, or get knocked out.
What is developed in one may or may not carry over to the other.

Depending on ones practice the use and development of the body should reflect the need and intended usage.

An interesting thread in that no live examples are presented as for one practice being better or even contrasted
against those who are said to be "externally" using their bodies in a different way.
Last edited by windwalker on Sun May 31, 2020 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun May 31, 2020 10:15 am

GrahamB wrote: But until then feel free to keep mentioning BJJ, you seem to enjoy bringing it up. ;D

Ok, the usual bs, I get it. Who acts defensive? :/ Well, if you have something to discuss or actually want to reply to what I wrote in reply, I am all ears. ;)
Bao
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan