Heretical history of Tai Chi

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Heretical history of Tai Chi

Postby Bao on Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:32 am

"very close to Laoyang". - Bao

:) I looked up the distance between Chen village to Laoyang on Google maps - it's a 138-150km journey. That's pretty damn far, especially before cars were available. ;)

What I was actually going to say was that it lies not far from the silk road, close to the merchant trails from Luoyang. I didn't have time to go into details, but if you follow the old merchant routes you should get a better picture of it. You can also see by the many buddhist temples in the area (at least historically speaking as most is gone now) that many people travelled these roads from the west and into China.

Consider that several of the Chen's are said to have been body guards. Considering the geographical location, this is something I do believe, because body guards used to protect these roads and their merchants. (and the Shaolin harbouring scoundrels and robbers also lies close to these roads. Go figure ;) ) What I personally would suggest is that what work a big guy and martial artist as Yang Luchan would look for in these parts is a job as a body guard and similar. To suggest that he would go there after already being situated in Beijing makes no sense. IMHO.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby MiaoZhen on Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:47 am

Hi Graham.... Just wanted to say I listened to the series and thoroughly enjoyed it!
MiaoZhen
Santi

Postby GrahamB on Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:24 am

MiaoZhen wrote:Hi Graham.... Just wanted to say I listened to the series and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Thanks! I'm enjoying recording them :) We're not done yet - I think we get onto the Chen family more in the next one. I'm looking forward to that one. The story of Tai Chi is still being written, but we'll have to stop at some point - not sure what year we'll stop in though.
The NHS is not drained by migrants, but sustained by them.
Heretics podcast | The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:25 am

Bao wrote: To suggest that he would go there after already being situated in Beijing makes no sense. IMHO.

Agree, but nobody said he did....
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby MiaoZhen on Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:48 am

Graham,

I've listened to a bunch of your podcasts and also wanted to tell you I agree with your assessment of Aikido and Taijiquan in terms of quality of standard in teaching/practice versus inherent quality/value of the martial art. So, you made another Taijiquan friend! ;)
MiaoZhen
Santi

Postby Tom on Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:15 pm

This episode in the taiji series really sets the stage for the modern proliferation of taijiquan: "the Chen family's relationship with General Yuan Shikai, the friction between modernising and conservative factions within China and the events of the Boxer Rebellion."

https://www.spreaker.com/user/9404101/55-the-tai-chi-myth-part-5-modernisers-v
Needless to say, this is just my opinion. Please feel free to disregard it. ;D
Tom
Administrator

Postby GrahamB on Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:10 pm

Thanks Tom - I think the end is in sight now for this series. 1 maybe 2 episodes left?

We're finally making the connections to the Chen family.

I tried to find a picture of Chen Yan Xi, but no luck so far. Finding a picture of Yuan Shikai however is easy. Apparently this is how he looked in his Shandong period.

GrahamB
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan