Bian Zhizhong's Daoist Health Preservation Exercises

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Bian Zhizhong's Daoist Health Preservation Exercises

Postby G. Matthew Webb on Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:16 pm

I was reminded recently of Bian Zhizhong's small book entitled Daoist Health Preservation Exercises published in 1987. In the book, he presented the standing postures of exercise for "Health and Longevity" that were "practiced in secret by Daoists of the All-True Sector of the Huashan Mountains School." He writes that there are also rolling, crawling, kneeling, squatting, sitting and prone exercises, but they are not described in the book. I can't seem to find any useful information about him or his exercises on the internet.

1. Does anyone know anything about Bian Zhizhong?
2. Does anyone know the origins of the exercises in the book? Did he make them up or were they created in the past?
3. Does anyone have any interesting experiences gained from doing the exercises?
G. Matthew Webb
Anjing

Re: Bian Zhizhong's Daoist Health Preservation Exercises

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:10 pm

https://rumsoakedfist.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28516&sid=cb63873ad3131fef550da7962defee48

Above link is to a thread I started on the same exercises a couple weeks ago. Included is links to the book and videos.

I have been learning the exercises so I don't have much experience yet but my initial experience is that what he claims in the book is true for at least certain parts. It definitely works the kidney area and the digestive system is truly stimulated by the exercises.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Re: Bian Zhizhong's Daoist Health Preservation Exercises

Postby G. Matthew Webb on Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:59 am

Thanks Hermes! I'll post my response in your original thread.
G. Matthew Webb
Anjing

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan