Bagua linear and angular stepping drills?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Bagua linear and angular stepping drills?

Postby windwalker on Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:08 pm

stepping drill
"Writing your name on water. The greatest thing is to be ordinary."
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Trip on Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:26 pm

Trip
Wuji

Postby Climb-up on Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:32 pm

Huh, I can’t figure out why it worked for you an me, looks like we did the same thing.
Climb-up
Santi

Postby Climb-up on Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:34 pm

windwalker wrote:
stepping drill

That is more the kind of thing I mean.
Is this common work in most Bagua schools?
Climb-up
Santi

Postby Trip on Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:37 pm

Climb-up wrote:Also, unrelatedly, is there some trick to getting YouTube videos to embed correctly?
It looks to me like I’m doing it; but they don’t seem to work.

The difference is in the different YouTube link addresses.

Youtube.com vs. Youtu.be.

The link you tried to post:
https://youtu.be/Cj-exEvpmbI

vs.
the address I posted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj-exEvpmbI

They both take you to the same place. But the longer address can be embedded here on RSF.

The difference of the two is this:
You said -- youtu.be

I Changed that to this:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=
Last edited by Trip on Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trip
Wuji

Postby Climb-up on Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:56 pm

Trip wrote:
Climb-up wrote:Also, unrelatedly, is there some trick to getting YouTube videos to embed correctly?
It looks to me like I’m doing it; but they don’t seem to work.

The difference is in the different YouTube link addresses.

Youtube.com vs. Youtu.be.

The link you tried to post:

vs.
the address I posted

They both take you to the same place. But the longer address can be embedded here on RSF.

The difference of the two is this:
You said -- youtu.be

I Changed that to this:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=

:) thank you
Climb-up
Santi

Postby windwalker on Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:06 pm

Climb-up wrote:That is more the kind of thing I mean.
Is this common work in most Bagua schools?

for some,,,

reminds me a lot of
Tibetan white crane stepping drills,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3jhMgHV8xA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McAIR1Fp2iM&t=201s

a little off topic,
talks about usage and strategies
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Writing your name on water. The greatest thing is to be ordinary."
windwalker
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:53 pm

Climb-up wrote:I mean drills that are either solely stepping/footwork, or may have a strike or simple movement here or there but whose focus is on developing mobility in stepping.

What you may call footwork, in CMA, it's just called "hopping". Instead of moving one leg after another, you move both legs at the same time for speed.

In CMA, most of the footwork is used to cover a great amount of distance.

Last edited by johnwang on Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm still allergic to "push".
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:28 pm

johnwang wrote:I have learned the inside crescent kick, side kick combo (at 1.28 - 1.40) during my long fist year. It was one of the kicking drills that I trained daily. This is the 1st time that I have seen this kicking combo online. The only difference is when I do the side kick, I use my hand to pull the other wrist to force my body to face side way forward.

I also like the side punch footwork (at 2.29 - 2.46). It makes sense by using the body rotation to generate power for side punch (similar to Xingyi Heng Chuan).

Bagua has many kick combos like this one; the upper body not moving much may be to make them more stealthy (暗腿).

The side punch is a common bagua punch (反背捶). Some say that this was a specialty of Ma Weiqi.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:31 pm

johnwang wrote:I have learned the inside crescent kick, side kick combo (at 1.28 - 1.40) during my long fist year. It was one of the kicking drills that I trained daily. This is the 1st time that I have seen this kicking combo online. The only difference is when I do the side kick, I use my hand to pull the other wrist to force my body to face side way forward.

I also like the side punch footwork (at 2.29 - 2.46). It makes sense by using the body rotation to generate power for side punch (similar to Xingyi Heng Chuan).

Bagua has many kick combos like this one; the upper body not moving much may be to make them more stealthy (暗腿).

The side punch is a common bagua punch (反背捶). Some say that this was a specialty of Ma Weiqi.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Climb-up on Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:32 pm

I get you’re saying, but hopping doesn’t cover it.
Hopping happens, for sure, but even in the wonderboy clip he is moving one foot first, then the other (as does the guy in the clip you showed). But, there are other stepping exercises that do not specifically Have this attribute.
I’m also not clear about the great amounts of distance. I’ve seen plenty of CMA that happens very close in, and Bagua specifically does so much in a distance too close for the opponent to attack.

Anyways, I appreciate your thoughts and the videos you shared (they’re great$, I apologize for not knowing how to explain what I mean more clearly.
Climb-up
Santi

Postby johnwang on Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:50 pm

Climb-up wrote:I’m also not clear about the great amounts of distance. I’ve seen plenty of CMA that happens very close in, and Bagua specifically does so much in a distance too close for the opponent to attack.

Any footwork that can generate moment to run your opponent down is good footwork.

I'm still allergic to "push".
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Climb-up on Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:56 pm

johnwang wrote:
Climb-up wrote:I’m also not clear about the great amounts of distance. I’ve seen plenty of CMA that happens very close in, and Bagua specifically does so much in a distance too close for the opponent to attack.

Any footwork that can generate moment to run your opponent down is good footwork.

The footwork in your clip is good.
Is generating forward momentum to run an openly down generally considered good Bagua?
I generally think of subtle footwork that takes the opponent off balance and ideally cuts the corner and flanks them before they notice. Even in the applications of the linear palms that’s primarily what I see.
I’m just beginning, maybe I’m wrong.

Btw, I’m not knocking the idea of running people down; I remember working on the JKD ‘straight blast’ (and a variation using alternating steps and crosses by a JKD guy who’s name I can’t remember). Def good stuff once you’ve made contact and unbalanced with the first shot. Just a different approach to how I conceptualize Bagua.
Last edited by Climb-up on Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Climb-up
Santi

Postby D_Glenn on Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:07 pm

An important rule to follow in Yin Style Bagua is to never practice stepping without also doing something with your hands. Keep your Intention (Yi) above your waist.

It’s like how a basketball player always has to be dribbling the ball in order to move, or else he’ll get called for ‘traveling’.

Basketball players have great footwork skills because they’re also subconsciously keeping their Intent above their waist.

Skilled footwork in fighting needs to be controlled by what’s called the ‘Xindi’ (mind-ground). Not by your ‘xin-yi’ (mind intent).

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Climb-up on Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:13 pm

D_Glenn wrote:An important rule to follow in Yin Style Bagua is to never practice stepping without also doing something with your hands. Keep your Intention (Yi) above your waist.

It’s like how a basketball player always has to be dribbling the ball in order to move, or else he’ll get called for ‘traveling’.

Basketball players have great footwork skills because they’re also subconsciously keeping their Intent above their waist.

Skilled footwork in fighting needs to be controlled by what’s called the ‘Xindi’ (mind-ground). Not by your ‘xin-yi’ (mind intent).

Super interesting!
That makes sense.
So, in general, once a Bagua student can do a footwork movement they should not be doing it ‘solo,’ so to speak?

That’s in line with how I generally see it; circle walking and then any other footwork incorporated into palm changed and linear forms.
Climb-up
Santi

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan