Bagua linear and angular stepping drills?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Bagua linear and angular stepping drills?

Postby D_Glenn on Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:32 pm

Yep. You could do them just a little bit solo, but then start drilling alongside hand movements as soon as possible.

All the single action kicking drills also have hand movements that accompany them.

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:02 pm

Climb I have a background in tang shou Tao which is based on Gao so yes I do
The first thing I learned back in 73 was walking up and down the hall with no arm action
If your stance was tardy you got 20 knuckle push-ups
I thank my teacher for that training
I also was taught bongs stuff by bob Caputo who trained with his teacher in Korea
I posted the clip I did to lead you to his page where there is a lot of good stuff
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Climb-up on Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:45 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Climb I have a background in tang shou Tao which is based on Gao so yes I do
The first thing I learned back in 73 was walking up and down the hall with no arm action
If your stance was tardy you got 20 knuckle push-ups
I thank my teacher for that training
I also was taught bongs stuff by bob Caputo who trained with his teacher in Korea
I posted the clip I did to lead you to his page where there is a lot of good stuff

Ah, I see thank you. I’ll check it out.

There is a Tang Shou Tao fairly close to me. I visited twice and really liked the energy but wasn’t able to keep going for both time and financial reasons. I was thinking recently that, if life ever goes back to normal, that I should check them out again.

I didn’t see it when I was there, but I’m under the impression that Tang Shou Tao does a lot of sparring, is that correct?
Last edited by Climb-up on Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Climb-up
Santi

Postby Trick on Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:59 am

Aren’t most people in most situations keeping intent above the waist ? Basketball players, aren’t they falling every now and then ? Ok, football(soccer)players seem to fall more often.....Hockey players spread it more equal on upper and lower 8-)
Last edited by Trick on Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trick

Postby D_Glenn on Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:47 am

Yeah, hockey players could be another example, provided they started young with a stick and a puck on the ice.

Soccer players, I say no. I would suspect that most are using mainly ‘Yi’.

The term ‘Xindi’ is also found in other CMA classical texts, but the concept and why it’s in training is often lost. It’s not specific to YSB, we just adhere to it.
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:18 am

When people say hockey I think field hockey now that is defiantly grounded

Climb ,yes sparing is a big part of TST
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:55 pm

wayne hansen wrote:When people say hockey I think field hockey now that is defiantly grounded

yes I guess there’s a lot of field down under, up in the livable northern hemisphere there’s fields of ice, however they also play with sticks on floors, in sweden it’s called ‘innebandy’ in English they call it ‘floorball’. When I trained Taiji in Sweden we used to play floorball as warm up our Chinese teacher thought it was so fun we played for an hour or more before we jumped to Taiji/wushu practice
Last edited by Trick on Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trick

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:35 am

I did a similar thing with my Kali students we would play an hour of squash before training
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:23 am

D_Glenn wrote:An important rule to follow in Yin Style Bagua is to never practice stepping without also doing something with your hands. Keep your Intention (Yi) above your waist.

It’s like how a basketball player always has to be dribbling the ball in order to move, or else he’ll get called for ‘traveling’.

Basketball players have great footwork skills because they’re also subconsciously keeping their Intent above their waist.

Skilled footwork in fighting needs to be controlled by what’s called the ‘Xindi’ (mind-ground). Not by your ‘xin-yi’ (mind intent).

Early on both my YiQuan teacher and taiji teacher mentioned we should be as four legged animals in our practice.....
Trick

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:24 am

Yes that's what most people miss in pushing hands and even forms
If we have a stance with the right leg forward they neglect the front left leg and back right leg
This is why most people sit across and are easy meat in pushing
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Franklin on Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:14 am

Climb-up wrote:
johnwang wrote:
Climb-up wrote:I’m also not clear about the great amounts of distance. I’ve seen plenty of CMA that happens very close in, and Bagua specifically does so much in a distance too close for the opponent to attack.

Any footwork that can generate moment to run your opponent down is good footwork.

The footwork in your clip is good.
Is generating forward momentum to run an openly down generally considered good Bagua?
I generally think of subtle footwork that takes the opponent off balance and ideally cuts the corner and flanks them before they notice. Even in the applications of the linear palms that’s primarily what I see.
I’m just beginning, maybe I’m wrong.

Btw, I’m not knocking the idea of running people down; I remember working on the JKD ‘straight blast’ (and a variation using alternating steps and crosses by a JKD guy who’s name I can’t remember). Def good stuff once you’ve made contact and unbalanced with the first shot. Just a different approach to how I conceptualize Bagua.

that is the sparrow enters the forest training from Gong Ting Bagua
it should not generate any momentum
when practicing it - you can cover a very great distance very quickly-
but you should be able to stop or change direction at any point- no momentum

Franklin
Franklin
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan