Liao Wuchang 2 men drill

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Liao Wuchang 2 men drill

Postby MaartenSFS on Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:05 pm

Quigga wrote:Very cool video, best Tai Chi sword I've ever seen.

As cliché as it is, the battle starts at least 3 meters from the opponent when you practice Yi... Striking and especially weapons fighting need Yi and listening into the room because of the distance you need to bridge.
Now, whether your body can keep up with what you perceive and want to do is a different question.

But wait... It's not real Tai Chi! His head isn't always on the same level ::) ;D /s

Another video I like, where I will add transcription because of poor audio is this one:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/9mDosB7SVXU[/youtube]

How do you embed videos?

I teach this sort of drill in my swordsmanship as well, but exchanges happen in this range less than 5% of the time, especially if both are unarmoured and even more so if it's one-handed swords. What about the other 95% of the time??? This is not real sword fighting just as Tuishou is not real fist fighting. This is a demonstration against a cooperating opponent. As a drill it has merit, but should be saved for later, after higher-percentage techniques have already been taught, hence I wait until later in the curriculum to introduce it. We call this drill 粘刀 (or 粘剑).
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
MaartenSFS
Wuji
 
Posts: 2269
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:22 pm
Location: Lansing, Michigan

Re: Liao Wuchang 2 men drill

Postby Quigga on Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:54 am

That just means I haven't seen or been in a lot of sword fighting ;D Do you have a video of one your classes or how would good SF look in your opinion?
Quigga
Mingjing
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:08 pm

Re: Liao Wuchang 2 men drill

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:32 am

Sure. Fencing is towards the end.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jf7rFnb0cdI
There is an example of an exchange at the range that we were talking about at 5:14. It comes up, but not very frequently, depending on your opponent. There is also an example of a drill at that range at 3:38.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EB-taTbMx2M&t=4s
Here's an example at 9:25, which can be seen more clearly in slow motion at the end.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QFe_SiCXlUk&t=20s
Here's perhaps the best example at 8:46.

Note that in all cases we only hang out at that range for a second or two at the most.

Is it perfect swordsmanship? No. There is no such thing, but at least it is full-contact and at full-speed. I haven't had many students after leaving China. Just don't know where or how to find them, unfortunately... =S This also affects my own practise. I need a variety of fencing partners to hone my skills...
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
MaartenSFS
Wuji
 
Posts: 2269
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:22 pm
Location: Lansing, Michigan

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests