tyson's training routine back in the day

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

tyson's training routine back in the day

Postby everything on Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:03 pm

this was supposedly his routine
https://www.brawlbros.com/mike-tyson-workout/

his trainer D'Amato apparently considered shadowboxing the most important part. "forms", punching and defending "air" against imaginary opponents.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: tyson's training routine back in the day

Postby Trick on Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:52 am

. Cus believed that shadow boxing is the most important exercise a fighter can partake in. He mentioned that it is where a fighter builds his habits and that is why it is important to focus during this exercise.
Trick

Postby GrahamB on Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:05 am

If only he'd added kicks he could have maybe beaten Donnie Yen in Ip Man 4.

But only maybe.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:18 am

yeah that was a good fight, but clearly his shadowboxing forms were missing a few good moves
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:39 am

I read an interesting article about why he looked so sluggish in that film - it's because he didn't know how to do "movie fu" like professional stunt men do, so they can "sell" the punch.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:00 am

if he could pick up the finer points of shadow boxing then Mike has a sharp mind, no doubt he can do an actors work too, he most certainly followed the scrip to perfection.
Trick

Postby Trick on Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:04 am

GrahamB wrote:If only he'd added kicks he could have maybe beaten Donnie Yen in Ip Man 4.

But only maybe.

mike knows his limits, as all true masters do.
Trick

Postby Peacedog on Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:39 am

I liked the role of bodyweight conditioning in his program. My only concern with that is the few guys I've met who were in the "1000 air squats a day" club all seem to have really bad knees when they get older.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby C.J.W. on Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:33 pm

In his heyday, Tyson could probably take on Donnie, Bruce, Jackie, and Jet in the ring at the same time and still whup their asses.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:32 am

C.J.W. wrote:In his heyday, Tyson could probably take on Donnie, Bruce, Jackie, and Jet in the ring at the same time and still whup their asses.

This remind me of an BlackBelt magazine cover a long time ago.The Aikido wizard and should be Oskar nomineed Steven Segal had said something and was challenged by a group of American karate veterans ganged up on the cover of that magazine, maybe eight or so of them, chuck Norris and perhaps there was bill Wallace too...

Bill Wallace once held a seminar at the karate club I was training(Sweden) and I was so surprised how short he was
All the guys on that BB magazine cover seemed to be that short too....which mad the challenge statement more fun since S.Segal is quite a big/tall guy....
Trick

Postby C.J.W. on Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:33 am

In my Aikido and Jujitsu days, my instructor loved to make fun of Seagal and called him a big charlatan.

Apparently, Seagal's ex-father in law operated an Aikido dojo in Japan, which gave him the opportunity to get his black belt and rise in rank quickly. His 7th degree black belt is, as far as I know, not recognized by any legit Aikido organization (other than the one he created) at all.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:03 am

instructor loved to make fun of Seagal and called him a big charlatan.
in later years i have begun to wonder why such things occure.........Lots of martial artists laugh at aikido in general. but to fall back on topic, mike tyson showed some interest in Aikido meeting with aikido master shioda while he was in japan fot his busyer douglas fight https://cn.bing.com/images/search?view= ... t=4&sim=11
Last edited by Trick on Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trick

Postby C.J.W. on Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:38 pm

Yes, Tyson met with Gozo Shioda, a well-known Aikido master, when he was in Tokyo for the fight and commented that he was impressed by Aikido -- mostly the footwork.

(Check out the last 3 mintues of the video.)

Last edited by C.J.W. on Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:00 pm

IMO, if your goal is simply to be able to fight, the external is a much faster and easier way to achieve it.

A friend of mine back in college -- who was athletic -- was able to defeat people with 3 to 5 years of MA experience after learning boxing for just 6 months. He told me that he knocked several of them out using nothing but jab cross combos, and showed me the video footage to prove it.

The internal can make you a more EFFICIENT fighter, but not necessarily more EFFECTIVE compared to an external fighter.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan