Run away from no-mask people

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Run away from no-mask people

Postby roger hao on Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:41 am

Is 'mask' a universal definition?

Anything mask-like will magically protect wearer and nearby people?
From my understanding of mask protection it is only KN95 that gives protection.
Wearing a neck warmer or a surgical mask is possibly fooling yourself.
I wear only KN95. They were hard to get - now easier. If you are persistent
they will arrive at your door.
roger hao

Postby Trick on Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:00 am

people will calm down as long as the mask looks "medical"
Trick

Postby windwalker on Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:35 am

Trick wrote:people will calm down as long as the mask looks "medical"

Very correct with the caveat that there is a lot more to wearing a mask than most people do or are aware of.

The WHO initially said there was no evidence masks ward off a viral airway infection, like the coronavirus
, but they may stop patients passing it on.

It has since updated its guidance, claiming face coverings could provide “a barrier for potentially infectious droplets”.

While masks are generally considered beneficial or at least harmless, the WHO has warned they should not be worn while exercising.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mask-co ... _TTTWyg1_Z

It has since updated its guidance, claiming face coverings could provide “a barrier for potentially infectious droplets”.

2019 "no evidence" ------- 2020 "evidence"

yep very interesting,

6ft,,,,maybe

This kind of spread is referred to as airborne transmission and is an important way that infections like tuberculosis, measles, and chicken pox are spread.
There is evidence that under certain conditions, people with COVID-19 seem to have infected others who were more than 6 feet away.

These transmissions occurred within enclosed spaces that had inadequate ventilation. Sometimes the infected person was breathing heavily, for example while singing or exercising.
Under these circumstances, scientists believe that the amount of infectious smaller droplet and particles produced by the people with COVID-19 became concentrated enough to spread the virus to other people.

The people who were infected were in the same space during the same time or shortly after the person with COVID-19 had left. :o

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... reads.html
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:52 am

For the questions on what kind of mask, etc., from that same recent WHO link:

Who should wear what kind of mask?
Medical masks are recommended for the following groups:

All health workers in clinical settings. See our guidance for more information on the use of personal protective equipment by health care workers.
Anyone who is feeling unwell, including people with mild symptoms, such as muscle aches, slight cough, sore throat or fatigue.
People caring for suspected or confirmed cases of COVID-19 outside of health facilities.
When they cannot guarantee a distance of at least 1 metre from others, medical masks are also recommended for the following groups, as they are at a higher risk of becoming seriously ill with COVID-19 and dying:

People aged 60 or over.
People of any age with underlying health conditions, including: chronic respiratory disease, cardiovascular disease, cancer, obesity, immunocompromised patients and diabetes mellitus.
Non-medical, fabric masks are advised for use by the general public when physical distancing cannot be maintained, as part of a comprehensive ‘Do it all!’ approach, including improving ventilation; cleaning hands; covering sneezes and coughs, and more.

Find out more on our main public advice page.

Further resources:

Read our Q&A on children and masks related to COVID-19 for more information on precautions for younger age groups.
Watch our animation on medical and fabric masks, explaining who wears what, when and where.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:14 am

Why this simple reason is so difficult for people to understand?

You put on mask to protect others. Will that make you feel good and be proud of yourself?

The other day when I did my 3 miles running, I saw someone 30 feet away who walked toward me. I moved my mask from under my chin to my face. When I passed him (he also had mask on), he said, "Thank you!" That made me feel real good.

I follow Dr. Fauci's suggestion.

Last edited by johnwang on Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:30 am

Last night, one of my neighbor, a 80 some years old lady knocked on my front door wanted to visit my wife and talked about some dog business. I put my mask on and open the front door. She didn't have mask on. I didn't let her in. When she saw my wife came to the front door also had a mask on, she felt it might be improper for this visiting, and said she didn't want to interrupt the dinner (it was not dinner time). This is the no-mask lady that I always have to turn around when I ran.

Will you

- visit someone's house without putting on a mask?
- let someone into your house without a mask on?

Your thought?
Last edited by johnwang on Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:18 pm

we have a huge thread in OTT that talks about these questions.

I would say most of us have no clue why people (I call them covidiots) make these bad decisions, and cannot understand the expert advice. Or perhaps they're just not willing to listen to it. My main assumption is it's not primarily complete idiocy but a cultural bent to not follow rules. Arguably not knowing time/place to "rebel" is kind of idiotic.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:55 pm

It is predictable that the plandemic folks are back and trying to renew their efforts to undermine the easiest and probably most effective mitigation strategy: masks.

This is because Trump is doubling down making fun of masks and his new Covid manager, who is not an epidemiologist, also just Tweeted out an anti-mask message (which was taken down by Twitter).

Don't be an idiot, wear a mask.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby xxxxx on Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:57 pm

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:Don't be an idiot, wear a mask.
xxxxx
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan