抽絲 versus 纏絲

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: 抽絲 versus 纏絲

Postby greytowhite on Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:25 am

Brinkman wrote:Drawing Silk Qigong, begins with attention focused on the Laogung points in the center of both palms. There are a couple of different ways to activate this beginning facet which I won’t go into here, but in effect the practice involves adjusting the tension of one’s awareness “yi”, upon the left and right Laogung points simultaneously. This requires constant and continual adjustment between too much sensitivity and too little sensitivity. There is a big emphasis in discerning the difference between “sensitivity to” and “sensation of” the Laogung points.

The Laogung points themselves are generally considered conduits related to the respective left and right hemispheres of the brain. I would suggest that this practice is quite similar to viewing stereoscopic images wherein initially the focus of the eyes vacillate between two separate images and crossed images. Midway between however, the brain is able to decipher a 3 dimensional image. Ultimately, as one fluxes between the bi lateral sensitivity to the separate sensations of the left and right Laogung points, one will develop a strong sense of repulsion and expansion, opening and closing sensation between the palms.. As both sensitivity and sensation increase, a harmonious polarized movement, at first between the arms and hands and then through out the entire body will be produced. This practice is intended to unify the three internal and three external harmonies. It is also considered to remove blockages which impede normal nervous system innervation through out the body. This practice is not unique to only Chinese internal martial arts… and really requires a fuller explanation than what I have summarized here.

Is there video of this practice? While I doubt the physical actions are the same, the intent is similar to the Double Butterfly practice from Kenny Gong style. From what I understand the organ channels go OUT from the center and the sinew channels go IN from the tips and this practice helps with better understanding the sinew channels.
greytowhite
Wuji

Re: 抽絲 versus 纏絲

Postby MiaoZhen on Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:15 am

greytowhite wrote:
Brinkman wrote:From what I understand the organ channels go OUT from the center and the sinew channels go IN from the tips and this practice helps with better understanding the sinew channels.

As an aside (not related to the original question here), there are varying opinions in the Chinese medical literature related to the movement of Qi and of the channels. The predominant view of the regular channels connecting to the organs is that half move distally (away from the center) and half move proximally (towards the center). Yang channels of the arms and Yin channels of the leg move proximally, and Yin channels of the arms and Yang channels of the legs move distally. The channels' sinews (經筋) are less clear. One chapter of the Ling Shu (chapter 7, "The Channel Sinews" 經筋) implies that they move proximally. However, the chapter in the Ling Shu on the movement of protective Qi (chapter 76, "Movement of Wei Qi" 衛氣行) says that protective Qi moves distally through all the yang channels of the body. While not explicit in this chapter, the protective Qi is associated with the sinews. Long story short... The circulatory nature of Qi in the channel system is complex and open to significant debate depending on the source we look at!
Dr Henry Ma 馬爾博
--所以練拳術不在形式。只在神氣圓滿無虧而已。
MiaoZhen
Santi

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan