A definition of Fa Jin (發勁)

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: A definition of Fa Jin (發勁)

Postby Kelley Graham on Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:51 am

johnwang wrote:Trying to protect my knees, I change my 3 miles running into 3 miles fast walking. This way I can train different footwork and different punch combo. Also if I hold 5 lb weight on both hands, I can also maintain my strength...

Nice. it is said that "Fighting is Walking". Our core training method is called 'Walk with Weights". During this practice you walk and work 'same side' punches for about 4 years, then, when you have the capacity, you work 'crossing'. Internally, you begin with the 'foot press' to bring jin to the head of the fist. Later, with crossing, you work on feeling chi cycle throughout the body with each step.
Last edited by Kelley Graham on Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kelley Graham
Website - https://ucbprogram.com
Follow - https://ucb.social/@imklg
Kelley Graham
Administrator

Postby BruceP on Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:26 am

johnwang wrote:
This make me to think about the XingYi internal 3 harmony, unification of

- heart and intention (心與意合 xin yu yi he).
- Intent and Qi (意與氣合 yi yu qi he).
- Qi and force (氣與力合 qi yu li he).

If my mind is completely blank, I don't have heart, intend. My force just come out without thinking, The term Fajin then no longer exist in my dictionary. The only thing that I have is "just do it and let my body to flow". I strongly believe that "the power that I think is not my true power. The power that I don't think is my true power".

As long as I can check on myself that

- Hand coordinate with foot (I find it's too difficult to check elbow coordinate with knee, shoulder coordinate with hip).
- All body parts start to move at the same time, and also stop at the same time.

I'm still on the correct path.

Perfect!

Neutrality Principle
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby dspyrido on Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:34 pm

johnwang wrote:If you train like this daily, you may think about Fajin in the 1st 500 punches. After 500 punches, you just let your body to "flow" and you are not thinking about anything. If you do this everyday (I do this 6 days a week except Sunday that I have class), you may think about Fajin in the first 2 weeks. After 2 weeks, you just do it without thinking.

Great stuff!

As one of my sifus used to say 1000/1000. But after a while I just stop counting & just keep doing.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Yeung on Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:55 am

bailewen wrote:as far as I can tell, he's just explaining why loading up on a punch (aka "telegraphing") lets you hit harder.

I mean..yeah. if you are willing to telegraph, you can definitely hit harder. :P

Thanks, the following link has some great examples of hooks in boxing:

Yeung
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan