Response to a low single leg

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Response to a low single leg

Postby dspyrido on Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:01 pm

zrm wrote:Closest response to a low single leg situation that I could find in my library of old Chinese martial art books.

Catching the rat is pretty goddam painful. Probably not something you want to do during everyday sparring practice unless you want piss a lot of people off.

Interesting.

Yes SJ does not touch the knee on the ground. It's similar to the post JohnWang has done which I think can be adjusted to a low single leg.

johnwang wrote:Image

The leg shuffle & turn could be mixed in with the shoulder control here. Just needs to be a bit lower.

There's also head control but good wrestlers are not born with necks so it would be wiser to move out of the way or deflect vs. to try to force anything on them.

Giles wrote:Hurrah! A constructive, interesting and civil discussion that's actually about the original posted question/theme. Wonders may occur after all. :)

::)

Lol.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:08 am

soccer kick to the head
jump in the air and stomp
sprawl and downward elbow
sprawl and headlock/ guillotine
guard to omaplata
guard to grab hair and hook punch to face repeatedly
guard to bite ear off

depends, but i really enjoyed fantasising about it anyway!
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby AJG on Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:11 pm

Giles wrote:Hurrah! A constructive, interesting and civil discussion that's actually about the original posted question/theme. Wonders may occur after all. :)

Who would have thought

Told you DS :P
AJG
Anjing

Postby johnwang on Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:38 pm

How will you counter a single leg like this if your opponent pick you up?

https://twitter.com/espnmma/status/1335424326720483328
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby dspyrido on Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:02 pm

johnwang wrote:How will you counter a single leg like this if your opponent pick you up?

https://twitter.com/espnmma/status/1335424326720483328

Like this?

BTW that's a double leg which ended up going to a bear hug.

It's a good video. Shows the power of a slam (+elbow) & why setting up to pull guard on a standing opponent is just silly. Dreams of a guillotine I guess.

But then again why over-commit with a wide hook in the first few seconds of an mma match? It's not a bar fight.

Aside from f'ing up so quickly he did do a partial sprawl to block the double.

The simple thing I would have done - head control. Control the head - control the body. Can't get the palm in? Then slide the elbow in. It's not a downward elbow but pressure on the head to move it off the body. If the head is off the body and there's a gap then there's no bear hug.

Also he could have easily just unclasped his legs & kicked out to create space. Wiman (poor fella that got smashed) actually helped him slam him.
dspyrido
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan