Kung Fu beats BJJ UFC256 SPOILER

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Kung Fu beats BJJ UFC256 SPOILER

Postby GrahamB on Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:49 am

UFC 256 Kevin Holland vs Jacare Sussa

Kung Fu vs BJJ world champion! And Kung Fu wins off his back! Finally the debate is over and Kung Fu wins!

(I don't know if Kevin Holland really does know some Kung Fu, but he has Chinese tattoos and does a proper Kung Fu salute to the cameras, so obvs he's super legit :D :D :D :D )
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Kung Fu beats BJJ UFC256 SPOILER

Postby everything on Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:51 pm

tatoos are part of the secret (TM)
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:11 am

Super legit - he's even got a tiger!

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:11 am

Vid or it didn't happen. ;D
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:50 am

if he got them from a blind monk, Kwai Chang Caine style, much the better
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby bailewen on Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:38 pm

I think that may be a poor tattoo choice.

Means "pioneering", "groundbreaking", so the meaning is fine, but I feel like it's just weird for a tattoo. Need to ask one of the locals to be sure though.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:38 pm

bailewen wrote:I think that may be a poor tattoo choice.

Means "pioneering", "groundbreaking", so the meaning is fine, but I feel like it's just weird for a tattoo. Need to ask one of the locals to be sure though.

He's known as Kevin "Trailblazer" Holland, so trailblazing?

Excerpt from "LFA 13’s Kevin Holland: The Devil Inside:"

Chris Huntemann on May 30, 2017 wrote:Fighters also typically earn their nicknames in pretty random ways. They usually just keep a moniker given to them in childhood, or maybe they create one on their own. But have you ever heard of a fighter taking his nickname from a rejected name for a school?

That’s what this “Trailblazer” did. When Holland’s kung fu teacher was looking to open his own gym, he was deciding between the names “Trailblazer Academy” and “Just Warriors.”

“He originally wanted to name it ‘Trailblazer Academy,’” Holland told Combat Press. “I thought it sounded cool, like a badass Western character. But my teacher thought ‘Just Warriors’ sounded cool, and I told people I thought ‘Trailblazer’ sounded cool. My coach said I just do things my own way, like a trailblazer.”

Holland started doing things his own way early on in life. He took martial arts starting at age seven, advancing to yellow belt. He participated in other sports, too, including basketball.

“But I learned I was not a fan of team sports,” Holland said. “I also helped some guys on the football team prepare for games, but I decided to take up skateboarding and even got a few sponsors out of doing that. And I always enjoyed punching people in the face, so I ended up getting kicked out of school for headbutting a security guard.”

Holland was sent to a special school run by a 50-year-old man who knew kung fu.

“He smacked me around,” said Holland.

It was also around this time that Holland began watching the UFC and the now-defunct WEC. Holland watched Urijah Faber and Mike Brown square off in the WEC. He saw the landmark UFC 100 pay-per-view. These experiences were the spark that led Holland down the road to a career in mixed martial arts.

“I went to UFC 101, and when I saw Anderson Silva knock out Forrest Griffin while backing up, I knew I could do that,” Holland said. “I started training in kung fu and grappling, and I started out being trained by [former UFC fighter] Travis Lutter.

Excerpt from "Q & A:"

When and why did you start training for fighting? I started training for fighting at 16 years old when I walked into a gym for a kung fu class. I thought I was hot stuff, but the trainer gave me a whooping.

What titles have you held? KOTC 170 interim champ, XKO 170 and 185lb belt. Second-degree black belt in kung fu. Black belt in jiu-jitsu under Travis Lutter

From his last fight:

Image Image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSO4P0_pOVQ
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:24 am

"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:49 am

You highlighted the wrong part :-)

marvin8 wrote:
What titles have you held? KOTC 170 interim champ, XKO 170 and 185lb belt. Second-degree black belt in kung fu. Black belt in jiu-jitsu under Travis Lutter
Last edited by Dmitri on Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan