qing gong

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: qing gong

Postby marvin8 on Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:21 am

DeusTrismegistus wrote:
marvin8 wrote:
DeusTrismegistus wrote:World record long jump is just under 30' at 8.95 meters set in 1991. This guy is certainly impressive but I would not consider thing Qing Gong, just real good athletics.

So then, what is the world record long jump or standing vertical jump using Qing Gong?

Beats me. IMO that is a BS question. Qing Gong is ,afaik, "Lightness Skill". This encompasses more than just being able to jump high or far. It is also a skill that supposedly takes a decade of dedicated practice to learn and needs to be started when young. So unless someone wants to find a kid and force them to do a decade of weird exercises you will probably never get an answer. The few might know this skill probably are too old to care about the competitions of youngsters and may have lost a lot of the jumping skills from age anyways.

Basically unless you have done the work to learn the skill yourself or know someone else who has it is pointless to compare the legends and stories to modern examples.

I believe it is a fair question. At 25:39, Chen Shixing demonstrates and teaches lightness skill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBPzaxP2Cvs&t=25m39s

A master teaching lightness skill, walking on eggs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giQJ5nKy7dg&t=12m56s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWZ_dHzWOYg
marvin8
Wuji

Postby grady on Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:35 pm

meeks wrote:one of my teachers in the early 90s had qing gong. he didn't need a run up to get any height. He'd simply stand there and suddenly jump up onto a balcony.

The relatively "straight-legged" aspect of the jumping is something that keeps cropping up in the anecdotes of people who have observed this phenomena in person. Kenneth Fish said he witnessed Lum Wing Fay demonstrate it many years ago in Taiwan (there are a lot of people who have confirmed that Lum had excellent qing gong), somersaulting over his head without appearing to flex his knees first (Lum was not tall). In those old training videos that He Jinghan shared he "bounces" up the steps with straight legs, which I assume is something he got from Gongbao Zhai whose family was famous for their qinggong (I also remember him saying something to the effect of "I started it when in my late teens which was already too late").

I've heard it said that this "straght-legged-ness" related to the training method of jumping into a very narrow pit and "bouncing" out without bending the knees too much (the pit keeps getting deeper until it's as deep as you are tall). It might be a way to forge the connective tissues in the legs in a unique way, which might also explain why you would need to be young enough to do it properly, and why some of the people who were said to have good qinggong were also said to possess odd bodily proportions (hands below their knees when standing straight, etc.)

I suspect it was a very cruel kind of training which maimed more young people than not.
Last edited by grady on Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
grady
Mingjing

Postby meeks on Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:33 pm

I was shown a number of the exercises by 2 different teachers. There are a variety of requirements for qing gong exercises such as beginning the training before puberty begins and also being a virgin.
time of day, aspect of the moon's cycle, etc.
A couple of the exercises involve what I would call 'witchcraft' and 1 that requires a dead body, so it's going to be RARE to find those skills.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Peacedog on Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:57 pm

Meeks we definitely need to compare notes on that sometime.

My experiences with this have ranged from the mundane (standing on bricks placed end to end) to qi gong-esqe (learning to contract the tendons in the body in an upward direction) to the downright weird (spirit evocation). Can't say as I have developed an ability at it. I am oddly fast over short distances for a man my age. Although the the spirit evocation method had witnesses reporting I bounced off of a puddle of water while jumping around. I don't remember much of that myself, which is typical for that kind of thing.

It strikes me as having many aspects all of which have to be worked with to get a result. Long training timelines also seem to be pretty common as well.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:28 pm

The Swedish former world and Olympic high jump champion Stefan Holm in practice.....His son can now do the same and will probably be an world/Olympic contender very soon... https://v.qq.com/x/page/d0925g6xtdn.html
Last edited by Trick on Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trick

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan