3 miles walking + 2000 punches (or 1000 kicks) daily

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

3 miles walking + 2000 punches (or 1000 kicks) daily

Postby johnwang on Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:28 pm

Trying to protect my knees and replace my 3 miles running, I have tried the following replacement lately.

I have a set of 20 punch combo that include 3 to 5 punches such as:

- jab, cross, jab,
- jab, cross, hook, hook.
- hook, back fist, uppercut, hook, hook.
- hook, palm strike, hook, back fist, over hook.

If I repeat each combo 30 times, when I finished 3 miles walking, I can finish 20 x 30 x (3, 4, or 5) = 2000 punches.

I also have a set of 10 kick combo that include 2 to 3 kicks such as:

- foot sweep, side kick,
- front kick, roundhouse kick, side kick.
- inside crescent kick, back kick, front kick.

I like to do 3 miles walking + 1000 kicks on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. For the rest of the week, I like to do 3 miles walking + 2000 punches.

I feel great afterward. Not only my legs has work out. My upper body also has good work out too.

What's your opinion on this?
Last edited by johnwang on Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: 3 miles walking + 2000 punches (or 1000 kicks) daily

Postby everything on Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:10 pm

I was looking for a "low impact, high intensity" set of exercises to do (legs/joints too tired from soccer) about a year ago. I found articles like this one: https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/low-impac ... o-workout/ with some suggestions. Think I prefer your routine, but always looking for more.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:28 pm

In the past many years, I tried to find the best exercise for people's age over 65. IMO, this is the best exercise that I can find so far.

During my 3 miles walking, I hold 5 lb weight in each hand to do my punch. During the night when I sleep, my upper arm muscle jump up and down that I can't sleep. I'll try to use 3 lb weight instead. I 'll share my result later.

Since kick take more energy than punch, I try to make it kick : punch = 3 : 4 ratio. This way I can exercise every day. I don't even need to take 1 day off each week for resting.
Last edited by johnwang on Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:04 pm

My regimen is as follows:
NOTE: I have been in a caregiver situation for over 18 months while still trying to work out. Not much on intency but frequency and duration is my key to date.
1. Basic kicking (front kick, side kick, back kick!) A kick is not a kick unless it is a kick ;D Laternal and frontal lifting of knee in applicable planes.
Raising knee is a small part as I fund (hear, listen, etc( to calcium deposits upon exertion.
2. Walking 5000-9000 steps per day. MY Iphone keeps me up to date on number. For the past 6 years I have been doing 3-5 miles a day walking, now I am down to current levels
3. I still do former TKD exercises which includes variations of punches and the few shuaijiao single posture movements I remember.
4. 5-10 repetitions of changquan form(s) I remember. Some Lamaxiaquan (lama fist) consisting of variations of elbow 'stretching", hitting, etc in various planes! ::)
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:54 am

奇拉拉 Qi La La
Sep 16, 2020

When deciding to broadcast directly, it would be embarrassing to finish it :'(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roPb9BfZOHs
marvin8
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:17 pm

marvin8 wrote:

That's 378 kicks.

My walking + kicking is different from this. I like to do

step, step, step, step, kick, step, step, step, step, kick, ...

When I do step, step, ..., I can train different footwork. This way my kick won't fall into a certain pattern.

I have not produced any clip on this yet. I'll share when I record my video.
Last edited by johnwang on Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby .Q. on Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:06 pm

marvin8 wrote:奇拉拉 Qi La La
Sep 16, 2020

When deciding to broadcast directly, it would be embarrassing to finish it :'(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roPb9BfZOHs

I didn't mind doing stuff like this in the public in Taiwan. In the US I assume esp at night you might get in trouble for it.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:27 pm

.Q. wrote:I didn't mind doing stuff like this in the public in Taiwan. In the US I assume esp at night you might get in trouble for it.

When I walk and punch with 5 lb weight in both hands, people on the street all stay away from me. Back in 2020, I had run away from those no face mask people. In 2021, I want those no face mask people to run away from face mask guy. ;D
Last edited by johnwang on Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Taste of Death on Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:33 am

Dr. Len Schwartz was a pioneer in this kind of training.
https://strongmedicine.dragondoor.com/cardio-revolution-part-i/
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:54 am

not really trying to do the "4 limbs" thing, but KB swings is quite efficient for these kinds of benefits - low impact, can be high intensity, can mix cardio and strength and power training. probably not sport-specific enough for your MA needs, though.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:59 pm

everything wrote:not really trying to do the "4 limbs" thing, but KB swings is quite efficient for these kinds of benefits - low impact, can be high intensity, can mix cardio and strength and power training. probably not sport-specific enough for your MA needs, though.

Add the Turkish get-up.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan