Aunkai redivivus

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Aunkai redivivus

Postby Tom on Fri May 14, 2021 6:11 pm

“BJJ is like folding laundry—with people still in the laundry.”—John Davis
Tom
Administrator

Postby GrahamB on Fri May 14, 2021 11:11 pm

Qu'est-ce que c'est, Tom?
I could be wrong.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Tom on Sat May 15, 2021 11:50 am

GrahamB wrote:Qu'est-ce que c'est, Tom?

A generation-bound pop music pun that fell flat on its face, Graham. A comedian's sense of humor must exceed his audience's grasp, or what's a dropped mic for?
“BJJ is like folding laundry—with people still in the laundry.”—John Davis
Tom
Administrator

Postby dspyrido on Sun May 16, 2021 3:13 pm

Thanks for the response Upyu. I've never trained with him but your response is relatable.

Upyu wrote:I dunno, I don't think he's ever done a double hip movement, although I think in some of them on the surface it looks like it is.
Disregarding the hip movement - one of the ways he would try and get people to think about the problem was ask them, "How would you accomplish a jab while holding a really heavy weight, like 25 kg?" (And he's posing this question based on his own bodyweight which is 65 kg, so you'd have to scale the weight accordingly).

Coming from the "old school" methods we use a lot of weight. Punches with heavy weights, weight vest, heavy pole etc

His hip shaking example on insta is a good representation of using the heavy pole (20+kg) where movement requires the whole body (engagement of legs, hips etc) to project it. Throwing a person using the drop, rise up to uplift and then project out is taught as part of qinna.

Does akuzawa teach working with heavy implements, partnered practise or imagination in solo movements? Or all the above?

As for karate trolling - not intentional. I spent a few years doing it and found that it produces a lot of very stiff people. I've only known a few fluid karate guys and most of them cross trained.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Upyu on Mon May 17, 2021 8:41 pm

Hey it’s the intern3ts - no harm no foul

So he himself experimented with how to manage forces by playing with weights, and he does demo it on occasion.
For myself, old school methods make a lot of sense when viewed from a perspective of, how do you manage the load so that it feels lighter, and what’s the best way to manipulate a heavy load without straining the body.

To answer your question more directly, he uses mainly partnered training, along with solo drills that have pretty specific physical requirements. A lot of his less understandable terms are fairly straight forward once you have his body mapping. One thing to keep in mind is that before he was a sanda fighter, he was a competitive gymnast, so his proprioceptive feel centerline/balance etc was fairly advanced - and so that kind of body organization might have accelerated his development.

About weighted implements, he’ll demo their usage on occasion, but emphasizes that it’s more a tool for figuring out how to manage forces. Once you figure it out, you drop the weights and try to figure out conversely how to best tax the body sans weights.
Upyu
Anjing

Postby Giles on Tue May 18, 2021 12:03 pm

Tom wrote:

A generation-bound pop music pun that fell flat on its face, Graham. A comedian's sense of humor must exceed his audience's grasp, or what's a dropped mic for?

A motto for me at push-hands meetings: I hate people when they're not polite.

[/thread derailment] -bolt-
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Walk the Torque on Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:16 pm

Fa Fa Fa Fa Fa jin!

;D
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan