Aunkai redivivus

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Aunkai redivivus

Postby Upyu on Sat May 01, 2021 1:08 am

Bhassler wrote:I like Akuzawa Minoru-- not many can show the level of speed, crispness, and connection that he does. Even better, some of his students have started giving their own workshops, and they move just like he did back in the day. I'm less enamored of the more recent videos of him I've seen on Youtube. It seems to have gotten a bit excessive and moved from efficient, powerful movement to "guru/puppetmaster flings his own students about". I mean, I guess after 15 or 20 years on the circuit you get bored and want to try something new...



As for the article, I take it with a grain of salt. Amdur clearly has his own take on things and his own interests that color his views of different martial arts. In general, I roll my eyes when anyone starts talking about "universal" principles or methods that apply to all martial arts. I roll them even harder when people start talking about the mechanics of arts they don't themselves practice.


Oh wow.. I didn’t even realize that this thread even was posted.
A friend pointed me towards this, especially since the topic of his most recent profiling demo came up.

Actually Bhassler wasn’t the only person to share this view - many people that viewed that demo didn’t understand what was being demo’d and thought people were just “tanking”.

The reality is Ark has continued to improve at an alarming rate that when he does pull off an advanced form of kuzushi it looks ... well fake.
I even had to sit down with him and explain to him that at this point it’s probably better to stick to demos that are visually “easier” to understand.

Here’s another one where it looks fake - but he also gives a bit of explanation in Japanese:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGkekvBpvk9 ... dkyepg2y1s

“Even though I’m not <pushing> hard on him, since I’m containing the force fed by him, it probably feels heavy to him”

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0QuRq5nyX8 ... 5t89whtysb
Even this demo that he did in Kyoto, almost looks fake, except the person who Uke’d for him had never met him before, so timing a “jump” is pretty problematic. It’s why a lot of teachers will bring an Uke that makes them look good.

As for the French demo, he was using sticks since grabbing the wrists is “easier” from a physics perspective.
Using a short stick like he did introduces yet another “limb and joint” that you have to connect to, in order to destroy the other person’s balance. It’s tricky even with a “resistive” yet “cooperative” opponent, and downright near impossible with someone like Christophe (the dark skinned individual who was receiving).
Since the force goes directly to the base of hips, it causes a collapse - which looks entirely fake.
Having been on the receiving end, I can attest to its reality.
That being said - it’s more akin to Sean White showing off his Mctwist - very cool, but not necessarily done for any kind of practicality, other than saying “I introduced another level of difficulty and could pull it off”. - which is usually lost on most people watching.

As for the stick demo the two individuals who were acting as Uke are fairly well conditioned, and out of respect, were giving it their all to lower their center of gravity etc.

But let’s be honest - Ark totally messed up the first round. (Hey he’s only human - even I throw a wrench in his game when we play at stick wrestling)
But what’s interesting and educational is the adjustment he makes in order to cut through the both of them.

As for the article - I think a bit of context should be provided.
I personally found Hejinhan’s videos illustrative and his explanations for the mechanics he uses very clear.
I was more commenting on the fact that some other people in other circles had mentioned (and I didn’t mention that in the article... which is on me) that Henjinhan referred to the flatness of the back at one point - and were overlapping it with Ark’s mention of the body “needing to be flat”
All I really meant to say was that the same word can mean completely different things.

Hejinghan’s point that the arms begin at the scaps is a good one.
It’s a given for Ark as well, although he did say, once you get used to the arms starting from the scaps, eventually you’ll realize they begin in the lower back.
Upyu
Anjing
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: Aunkai redivivus

Postby Quigga on Sat May 01, 2021 2:59 am

Which just means that power comes from the Ming Men and kidneys...
What's between you and the world
Quigga
Anjing
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:08 pm

Re: Aunkai redivivus

Postby Upyu on Sat May 01, 2021 6:29 am

Sure - but I’d draw a distinction between issuing power (store release) vs actual control coming from thay area.
In this case he’s talking more about direct control of the arms from that area.
Upyu
Anjing
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: Aunkai redivivus

Postby greytowhite on Mon May 03, 2021 10:11 am

Upyu wrote:Hejinghan’s point that the arms begin at the scaps is a good one.
It’s a given for Ark as well, although he did say, once you get used to the arms starting from the scaps, eventually you’ll realize they begin in the lower back.


Yes, that's what my Xingyi seniors have pointed out - that the mingmen is immediately below the floating ribs in the back and if you don't have control of that area in the front as well then it's much more difficult.
User avatar
greytowhite
Wuji
 
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:33 pm
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Re: Aunkai redivivus

Postby allen2saint on Tue May 04, 2021 9:18 am

I just think if he needs that much time and space to set up for his strike, widening the stance and winding up like that, it’s not that different from a karate strike or a haymaker. The powers there, but i don’t see an advanced strategy honestly.
Last edited by allen2saint on Tue May 04, 2021 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
allen2saint
Wuji
 
Posts: 1031
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:43 pm

Re: Aunkai redivivus

Postby Doc Stier on Tue May 04, 2021 9:36 am

allen2saint wrote:I just think if he needs that much time and space to set up for his strike, widening the stance and winding up like that, it’s not that different from a karate strike or a haymaker. The powers there, but i don’t see an advanced strategy honestly.

Agreed. Ark may be capable of applying his insightful concepts to issuing short power, too, but I haven't seen any video examples of him doing so. If anyone here can provide links to videos of him issuing short power in his techniques, I would be very interested in seeing them. ;)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
User avatar
Doc Stier
Great Old One
 
Posts: 4950
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:04 pm
Location: Woodcreek, TX

Re: Aunkai redivivus

Postby dspyrido on Tue May 04, 2021 7:39 pm

Doc Stier wrote:Agreed. Ark may be capable of applying his insightful concepts to issuing short power, too, but I haven't seen any video examples of him doing so. If anyone here can provide links to videos of him issuing short power in his techniques, I would be very interested in seeing them. ;)


I've rarely seen him hit anything other than the odd whipping tap on the ukes but he's done a few low round kicks on targets & people.

This demo is a bit sensational as the pad they use is useless (it's a punching pad) & rather stiff so it just translates power through. Also I would never hold a pad the way the uke does because ... well for exactly the reason seen in this video.



This kind of shows his use of twisting to dislodge but it only works best against the stick vs. body. Does illustrate the twist.



His use of hips is a little different from xy and I would say he'd be better doing what karate guys call a double hip punch. I think he might in other videos but it's buried in those older demos he has.



Xy (bung) otoh also does the leg step up which when combined with all the above makes for a real juicy short range punch that can be delivered forward or backstepping.

All outlined & without even discussing any esoteric mystical methods like dantien, qi or elemental forces to!

Upyu wrote:As for the French demo, he was using sticks since grabbing the wrists is “easier” from a physics perspective.
Using a short stick like he did introduces yet another “limb and joint” that you have to connect to, in order to destroy the other person’s balance. It’s tricky even with a “resistive” yet “cooperative” opponent, and downright near impossible with someone like Christophe (the dark skinned individual who was receiving).
Since the force goes directly to the base of hips, it causes a collapse - which looks entirely fake.
Having been on the receiving end, I can attest to its reality.
That being said - it’s more akin to Sean White showing off his Mctwist - very cool, but not necessarily done for any kind of practicality, other than saying “I introduced another level of difficulty and could pull it off”. - which is usually lost on most people watching.

As for the stick demo the two individuals who were acting as Uke are fairly well conditioned, and out of respect, were giving it their all to lower their center of gravity etc.

But let’s be honest - Ark totally messed up the first round. (Hey he’s only human - even I throw a wrench in his game when we play at stick wrestling)
But what’s interesting and educational is the adjustment he makes in order to cut through the both of them.


Great write up. Over the years Akuzawa seems to be drifting toward the way of Aikido wizardry (ie get a the right uke who plays the game).

I like Akuzawa's stuff & it is perfect for stiff karateka's but I hope he can keep it real.
User avatar
dspyrido
Wuji
 
Posts: 2447
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:03 am

Re: Aunkai redivivus

Postby allen2saint on Thu May 06, 2021 10:46 am

Hey, wouldn’t be a martial arts post without a little owning the woo woo crowd, right? Not nearly enough of that going on these days.
allen2saint
Wuji
 
Posts: 1031
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:43 pm

Re: Aunkai redivivus

Postby hl1978 on Thu May 06, 2021 11:04 am

Doc Stier wrote:
allen2saint wrote:I just think if he needs that much time and space to set up for his strike, widening the stance and winding up like that, it’s not that different from a karate strike or a haymaker. The powers there, but i don’t see an advanced strategy honestly.

Agreed. Ark may be capable of applying his insightful concepts to issuing short power, too, but I haven't seen any video examples of him doing so. If anyone here can provide links to videos of him issuing short power in his techniques, I would be very interested in seeing them. ;)


Here's one on instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMuKjsupjDA/
hl1978
Santi
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:48 pm

Re: Aunkai redivivus

Postby Tom on Thu May 06, 2021 12:29 pm

hl1978 wrote:
Doc Stier wrote:
allen2saint wrote:I just think if he needs that much time and space to set up for his strike, widening the stance and winding up like that, it’s not that different from a karate strike or a haymake ;) r. The powers there, but i don’t see an advanced strategy honestly.

Agreed. Ark may be capable of applying his insightful concepts to issuing short power, too, but I haven't seen any video examples of him doing so. If anyone here can provide links to videos of him issuing short power in his techniques, I would be very interested in seeing them. ;)


Here's one on instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMuKjsupjDA/


Works for me. ;)
“Good snowflakes. They do not fall anywhere else.” -- 龐居士
User avatar
Tom
Administrator
 
Posts: 4717
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:33 am

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: allen2saint and 16 guests