Create your own combos

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Create your own combos

Postby johnwang on Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:41 pm

Assume you have 4 punching tools in your tool box such as

- jab,
- cross,
- hook,
- uppercut.

You can create your 3 punches punching combos with 4 x 4 x 4 = 64 different combinations.
Most combos will make sense such as jab, jab, jab. But some combos may not make sense such as cross, cross, cross.

For simplicity, you assume that the inverse is the same combo such as:

- right jab, right jab, right jab
- left jab, left jab, left jab

Also if you separate left arm and right arm, you can have 4 different combo:

- right, right, right
- right, right, left
- right, left, right
- right left, left

For example, your hook, hook, hook combo can be:

- right hook, right hook, right hook
- right hook, right hook, left hook
- right hook, left hook, right hook
- right hook, left hook, left hook.

64 x 4 = 256 maximum number of different combo.

This may sound complicate. But if you have gone through this analysis, you will learn how to use punch 1 to set up punch 2, and use punch 2 to set up punch 3. This is a scientific way to create your combos.

Your thought?
I'm still allergic to "push".
User avatar
johnwang
Great Old One
 
Posts: 9658
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 5:26 pm

Re: Create your own combos

Postby Finny on Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:10 pm

johnwang wrote:
Your thought?


I think examining those numerous permutations is a waste of time. Combat and striking doesn't operate like that. Boxing has developed combinations of punches that work for centuries; there's no need to reinvent the wheel.
User avatar
Finny
Great Old One
 
Posts: 1413
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 8:16 pm

Re: Create your own combos

Postby wiesiek on Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:15 am

how to stop good invented wheel?
just put stick inside...
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji
 
Posts: 4102
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 12:38 am
Location: krakow

Re: Create your own combos

Postby marvin8 on Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:27 am

johnwang wrote:
... But if you have gone through this analysis, you will learn how to use punch 1 to set up punch 2, and use punch 2 to set up punch 3. This is a scientific way to create your combos.

Your thought?

I'm not understanding your thought process.

What is the purpose of doing 3 jabs or 3 hooks combinations? How does this help you learn to set up punches? How is that "a scientific way to create combos?"
User avatar
marvin8
Wuji
 
Posts: 2288
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:30 pm

Re: Create your own combos

Postby johnwang on Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:15 pm

marvin8 wrote:What is the purpose of doing 3 jabs or 3 hooks combinations? How does this help you learn to set up punches? How is that "a scientific way to create combos?"

- 3 jabs can be 3 tests. same arm 3 hooks can be low hook, middle hook, high hook.
- I like to use same arm 2 hooks combo. The 1st hook to redirect opponent's leading arm away. The 2nd hook punch on his head.
- If you only learn what your teacher taught you, you only learn what your teacher knows. You will never learn what your teacher doesn't know.
I'm still allergic to "push".
User avatar
johnwang
Great Old One
 
Posts: 9658
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 5:26 pm

Re: Create your own combos

Postby marvin8 on Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:25 pm

johnwang wrote:
marvin8 wrote:What is the purpose of doing 3 jabs or 3 hooks combinations? How does this help you learn to set up punches? How is that "a scientific way to create combos?"

- 3 jabs can be 3 tests. same arm 3 hooks can be low hook, middle hook, high hook.
- I like to use same arm 2 hooks combo. The 1st hook to redirect opponent's leading arm away. The 2nd hook punch on his head.
- If you only learn what your teacher taught you, you only learn what your teacher knows. You will never learn what your teacher doesn't know.

Okay. From the OP, it appears you don't mix the punches (jab, cross, hook, uppercut) in your combinations? So, I was wondering the benefit(s) of doing that.
User avatar
marvin8
Wuji
 
Posts: 2288
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:30 pm


Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests