A chat about Xing Yi and Yi Quan

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Postby GrahamB on Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:24 am

https://www.spreaker.com/user/9404101/66-yiquan

" This time we look at Yiquan, a derivative of Xing Yi, putting it in the context of the Miasma of the late Nineteenth and early Twentieth centuries. "

Tom is to blame ;)
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: A chat about Xing Yi and Yi Quan

Postby Yeung on Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:18 am

A derivative of Xing Yi? But Xingyiquan don't even have their basic Hunyuan posture.
Yeung
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:04 pm

Many online sources stating Guo Yunshen's death are mixed but in our oral tradition Damon had always said Guo passed away in 1911 (a recently shared photograph shows Guo in Beijing in 1902 as an older man. 1902 is later than most records of his death online so actual date of death is very likely later than 1902.). So if Wang was born in 1885 and Gou died in 1911, and Wang is said to have been Guo's nephew by marriage therefore a close relation, then I think it highly likely that he was taught directly by Guo as a young man and teenager for a number of years.

(Personally I'm a bit undecided about that photo from 1902 - who knows who it really is).

I don't really understand the hype around Sun Lu Tang. I personally don't find him, or his versions of the arts, very interesting compared to Wang or Guo, for instance, so I think it's unlikely we'll cover him.

Keep up the good work with the fact checking, though.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:19 pm

Tom wrote:Damon and you do need to get to Sun Lutang sooner rather than later. The entire paradigm of "internal" Chinese martial arts depends on Sun and his writings.

I would like to hear it. Because I really don’t agree with this generally accepted thing. It’s just not true and the concept of “internal“ would have been just as strong without him.

GrahamB wrote:I don't really understand the hype around Sun Lu Tang. I personally don't find him, or his versions of the arts, very interesting compared to Wang or Guo, for instance,

This is something I agree with though. Overhyped, definitely overhyped. And how his arts are usually taught is ridiculously simple stuff.

But if you can see beyond the common myths and the saintly persona he was a very interesting fellow, and what very few know, in fact a really tough guy. Not just tough, but really, really tough.
Last edited by Bao on Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:05 pm

Sun was certainly influential, but he's not my cup of kung fu tea.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan