picture of Li Luoneng, founder of xingyiquan

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

picture of Li Luoneng, founder of xingyiquan

Postby Tom on Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:35 pm

It's the first time I've seen it.

The photo is from a French website, which says:

The Hereditary Grand Master Li Laoneng (Li Luoneng, Li Nengjan, Li Feifu, Li Nengran, “Old Farmer Li” “Divine Fist Li” according to the transcriptions and the authors (17 04 1795 - 28 08 1881) as it appears on this vintage photo hand-retouched by an artist as was customary. This is the first time it has been reproduced. Until now Li Laoneng was the only Master we had no photo of, at most two vague illustrations.
“Good snowflakes. They do not fall anywhere else.” -- 龐居士
Tom
Administrator

Re: picture of Li Luoneng, founder of xingyiquan

Postby Trick on Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:58 am

He looks not very farmerlike, maybe a gardener. He looks a little as Mr,Miyagi
Trick

Postby GrahamB on Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:21 am

The Li photo says "hand retouched by an artist" - but it looks more like the artist had photoshop ;D

Photos from that time period generally do not look like this.
I could be wrong.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:10 am

I have seen a similar photo / drawing but it has modern assistance in rendering ;D !
Jarek's site (China From Inside) had a historical origin and what we know as xingyi today is a 'modern(ized) reality of the initial art.

I was able to find the link but it seems that a few well known CMA have been 'sinicized ??? over the centuries since the initial art was related to a Hui orign where there was a base for liuhebafa (actual training/conditioning in concept and principl), which has been lost. Link to Xinyi Liuhe quan (origin of xingyi and historical context of said art): http://www.chinafrominside.com/ma/xyxy/xylhhistory.html
Enjoy!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan