Power Within Form

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Power Within Form

Postby Trick on Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:50 pm

windwalker wrote:[

A better way, maybe more productive, might be to understand that You’re already at the bottom of an ocean of air.
Try to get to a point where you can feel it...

Yes this and similar is such an fundamentally important practice method.....but does people actually care to reserch it...it seem not, if this method and similar is lost/ignored there’s nothing of big value to forms practice...
Trick

Postby Trick on Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:21 pm

Bao wrote:
windwalker wrote:A point of training to be equally connected at all points as a spherical object.
“ Central equilibrium” all parts balanced around a common center expressing the center from any point.

Without gaps in mind or body.

The human body is not equal all over. If you want to be without gaps you need constant change. If you are in a static posture, I can compromise your balance however balanced or connected you feel that you are.

As I understand from experience the no gaps in mind and body is a very real experience especially an lesser skilled combatant might feel about his opponent.....Also I believe two equally skilled can feel this about each other when squaring off, the difference might be the two of equal skill confidently begin to try to create gaps on eachother, while the former lesser skilled feel in vain and can’t do nothing......
Correct form practice is a tool to gain the skill...what WW describe is important to gain this skill..
Trick

Postby Trick on Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:44 pm

windwalker wrote:
Most teachers tend to test static postures understanding that moving posters are more about the transition between them. another type of "gap"

This seems to be what is being asked about. The ability to have central equilibrium in movement with out gaps in central equilibrium.

yes this seem often to be what’s missed, maybe most so by the externalists...however I believe many Taiji and similar players miss this fundamental understanding too....but probably it’s easier missed by externalists because the speedier “transitions”
Last edited by Trick on Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trick

Postby Steve James on Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:52 am

The ability to have central equilibrium in movement with out gaps in central equilibrium.

Yep.

Afa weak and strong points, in practice, an opponent will try to attack one's weak points. In theory, the idea is to be able to freely exchange yin and yang.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan