Paul Rogers out of the courtyard

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Paul Rogers out of the courtyard

Postby lineofintent on Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:25 am

Paul Rogers is teaching Baguazhang intensives, 1st and 3rd Saturday every month in Dorset.

Barehand and weapons skill, focused on fighting ability.

Limited to 12 students, 11am to 630pm.

Contact for details (don't pm me here) [email protected]

Those who have met him will know this is a teacher with the deep skill .
lineofintent
Wuji

Re: Paul Rogers out of the courtyard

Postby yusuf on Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:50 pm

Hi all..

long time no post.. i was lucky enough to visit Alex. He took me along to see Paul. Have to say he has very deep skill, he went easy on me but i was being thrown around like a rag doll. It was quite shocking given how much bigger in size than him I am. Reminds me of SAm CHin type control but finishing every interaction with hitting. I.e he asked me try to hit him, he turned into a big whirlpool and gave me a light hit to let me know what could have happened. My Chuck Liddel overhand rights have knocked out a few people, and aren;t normally dissolved that easily.

Would really recommend you go visit and learn the details, he shares completely openly. Oh and train with Alex too

Take care and hope you are all doing well

Yusuf
Last edited by yusuf on Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:06 pm

Hey Yusuf! Nice to hear from you. Great to get some more feedback on Paul, although I have already been very impressed by his videos. A bit far from me, but wish you all well over there.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Tue May 04, 2021 1:10 pm

Hi all

So to pick up the story, a second lesson this week. There was more depth on the same exercises from lesson 1. I’m getting to learn Yiquan and b to beginning realise that you only really understands the depth of the system when Paul pushes or whacks you. The whacks and pushes are directly linked back to one of the very simple concepts that make up the system. It does seem there are quite a few simple concepts but that actualy going into them, actually training them, will open up every possibility within combat and unified body development. This is the deep profoundness of Yiquan that people talk about but doesn’t become apparent just by reading about it.

You need to get whacked and then get the linkage explained to the simple things you are training.

Anyway, brain a bit overwhelmed, hope everybody is ok with me reporting more stuff aas i get more lessons. Hope all of you are well

Y
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Quigga on Tue May 04, 2021 1:33 pm

Sounds interesting :) Hope you can whack me with proper linkage lacking leakage someday! Always want to learn more. Just spare my pretty nose :D
Quigga

Postby nicklinjm on Tue May 04, 2021 5:23 pm

Keep up with the updates Yusuf, I for one am definitely interested to hear how you get on with Paul's teaching / material!
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby yusuf on Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:34 pm

HI all

Sorry for not posting for a bit, training and trying to unlearn stuff. Just a quick Yiquan update, I’m still astonished after every lesson, It seems that the original generation really have pulled in from BaGu, XY and LHBF and said ok how does this work, how do we teach it. And the more you train the more the old sayings just make sense. Like Shuai Jiao masters whio could throw you without holding you and stab you on the way down, or XY guys who fought in mmm change distances.

I’ve not seen anything which has this level of structured detail shared so openly. For my own practice I’ve actually told Paul he’s taught me way too much and have gone back to just two simple moves to refine and an attempt to embody all the details.

Pushing is a big part of the training …and bruises.. i’ve seen some of the threads about pushing being good or pushing being crap.. just having seen really good martial artists being thrown around like dolls makes me realise the progressive structure from pushing to hitting does develop interesting qualities. One thing I haven;t resolved is the weapons training. Years of knife/sword FMA under my belt, I can;t reconcile the two systems …so next for me is to bug about weapons.

I’d say that anyone who wants to see some old school CMA/ TJQ/BG/XY ask PAul to come teach a seminar or come visit him. He’s pretty cool about teaching openly and also chcuking people around or even doing sparring.

Cheers all

Yusuf
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:39 pm

Yusef could you give us a little of your training background to give us some contex
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby yusuf on Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:11 pm

Hi Wayne.. yes sure.. Judo from a very young age, Iwama Aikido black belt in Japan plus Kasima Shinto Ryu KJ, Fitzroy lodge amatur boxign club for my twenties (but really bad - an incompetent student and really bad as a boxing fighter)… trained Krav Maga to a reasonable level wth Imi’s students as well and tested it for real.. odd year or two in Muay Thai gyms in UK but nothing serious.. gave it all up due to injuries from altercations

then traning IMA with some wel known teachers.. umm, really well known.. pretty much like a rat on a wheel, daily for a lot of years just grinding .. it got my health back on track and repaired my body ..i had to go and try the methods in real situations for myself to figure out what worked and what didn’t.. most don’t

FMA wise it’s mainly Ilustrisimo (which I love and will go study if I ever make enough money to train full time) but also knife systems like offshoots of PTK..

I’m in no way an expert in anything, just old and seen the teaching methods .. of a lot of people. Suspect some just didn;t share the secrets with a diletente like myself, some really did but i was too stupid to get it.. have to say this is different ..

Cheers

Yusuf
Last edited by yusuf on Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:06 pm

Thanks for that
Who did you train KI with
If it was mainly knife sounds like Raymond
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Graculus on Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:13 pm

Interesting comments, Yusuf. Please keep them coming.
Btw, what did you mean by
XY guys who fought in mmm change distances.

Thanks,
graculus https://ichijoji.blogspot.com
Last edited by Graculus on Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graculus
Huajing

Postby Finny on Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:52 am

I don't play Yusuf on tv, but that's Kashima Shinto ryu KJ, Wayne - kenjutsu.

And my guess Chris was that he inadvertently added an extra 'm' and meant to say millimetre distance - short power.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:11 am

Thanks Finny
By KI I was referring to his training in Kali Illustrisimo
An art close to my heart
Last edited by wayne hansen on Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Finny on Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:57 am

Haha my apologies, I missed the reference in Yusuf's post.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:58 am

Hi.. KI in the Philipines and here in the UK, Ray Floro is on my list of teachers to visit once all this restriction crap is done.. and I’ll say no more ;)

The mm change n XY.. it’s what I used to hear that old XY used to be able to change within a mm, again and agian till the strike found you.. first time ‘ve had it explained how that is done..

Cheers all

Yusuf
yusuf
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan