Crab Animal : Yin Style Baguazhang

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Crab Animal : Yin Style Baguazhang

Postby kakabapana on Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:00 pm

Heya folks,

Has anybody trained the Crab animal in Yin Baguazhang? Does it have eight methods within it like other animals? There ain't much literature out there.

Cheers,
Sam
kakabapana
Santi

Re: Crab Animal : Yin Style Baguazhang

Postby GrahamB on Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:25 pm

Have you been watching Thunderforce?

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:56 am

The Karate katas(forms) Naihanchi/Tekki has predominant side to side stepping that by the legendary Okinawan Karate master Itosu was dubbed ‘Crab stepping’.....However Itosu’s famous student Funakoshi renamed the Naihanshi to Tekki wich translate into Iron Horse...How that fit with crabs I’m not sure....Maybe the Yin BGZ crab method do some similar side to side stepping, a little as in TJ Q cloud hand form ?
Trick

Postby zrm on Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:35 am

I'd never heard of the crab palm, but apparently its how the Ma Gui school refers to "mountain pushing palm" from the old eight.

"Mountain Pushing Palm (推山掌) Tui Shan Zhang. This palm is also called the Double Bumping Palm (双手撞掌) Shuang Shou Zhuang Zhang. Many Liang style practitioners call this posture the Moon Embracing Palm (抱月掌)Bao Yue Zhang. The Mountain Pushing Palm is sometimes described as: “the strength to push eight horses.” In Yin Style Ba Gua this posture is associated with the Rooster and in Ma Gui Ba Gua with the Crab."

http://www.maguibagua.ca/fundamental_sk ... ls/6_crab/
zrm
Huajing

Postby zrm on Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:38 am

That said I always thought this ninja was dope.

zrm
Huajing

Postby Bao on Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:59 am

zrm wrote:That said I always thought this ninja was dope.

Love that movie! ;D

So, "Crab Style" is actually Japanese and while it isn't "Ninja", it comes from Karate. :o
Had no idea, thought it was just something they made up for the movie. If I ever take up Karate, it will surely be Crab Karate! ;D

However, the best scenes in that movie are those where he try to teach his violent wife to be more "lady like" ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXhGxaCJs3s
Last edited by Bao on Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:33 am

So, "Crab Style" is actually Japanese and while it isn't "Ninja", it comes from Karate.
wouldnt be suprised a french connection will emerge
Trick

Postby Michael Babin on Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:21 am

Re: "wouldn't be surprised if a French connection will emerge".

Little known historical fact... during the siege of Paris by the vikings in the 9th Century [CE] a young French knight [a Breton, I believe] witnessed an elderly sargeant-at-arms in a watch tower burn his hand on a skillet in which the old fella was cooking a brace of crabs. The horrible contortions and screams of the old veteran scared some of the barbarians lurking below the ramparts and they ran back to their ships.

Feeling inspired by the cursing and shouting of "Crustacés maudits" the young knight ran off to get a scribe to take notes on what he had seen so he missed seeing the old veteran take an arrow in the throat as he capered about in an exposed fashion. Later generations of the young knight's squires passed on this secret knowledge of a crab war dance that later Jesuits took to China in the 17th Century [CE] where Chinese kung fu masters learned it and passed it off as Chinese.

Or something...

8-)
My Website [with a link to my Youtube Channel] https://sites.google.com/view/mbtaiji/home
Michael Babin
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:37 am

Damn! I love Wild History. ;D
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:06 pm

Lung Gao boxing from Chen tin hung wrongly named by the guy who stole it from a film is lobster boxing
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:22 am

. Little known historical fact... during the siege of Paris by the vikings in the 9th Century [CE] a young French knight [a Breton, I believe] witnessed an elderly sargeant-at-arms in a watch tower burn his hand on a skillet in which the old fella was cooking a brace of crabs. The horrible contortions and screams of the old veteran scared some of the barbarians lurking below the ramparts and they ran back to their ships.
just a couple of days ago in Swedish news it read an invasive Crab that should not live in those northern seas had been found....
Trick

Postby Trick on Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:45 am

there is a new thread here... Were Lobster Taiji is mentioned, fascinating
Trick

Postby Michael Babin on Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:31 am

Re: Lobster Taiji

In a "pinch" one can substitute lobster for crab techniques; in fact, it's considered shellfish [sic] not to do so!

8-)
My Website [with a link to my Youtube Channel] https://sites.google.com/view/mbtaiji/home
Michael Babin
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:46 am

Michael Babin wrote:Re: Lobster Taiji

In a "pinch" one can substitute lobster for crab techniques; in fact, it's considered shellfish [sic] not to do so!

8-)

-bow- :) ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Tatanka on Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:48 pm

(@) -oldman- -ban-
*DISCLAIMER: this has nothing to do with yin style baguazhang or any particular lineage of baguazhang, taijiquan, or xingyiquan.
this post is about the crab fist, which can be used within any martial art. this is a long joke, but i'm not sorry. you've been warned.
any earnest response to this post will be met with ridicule and then an earnest attempt to provide relevant data.
any ridiculous response to this post will be met with praise.*

they say when you lift a crab,
its comrades will try to pull it back down.
it's not that the crabs are trying to hold each other back;
they just don't want their buddy to get eaten.
we don't exactly pluck them up to the promised land.
i try to keep it together, and not take lessons on movement or music from humans too seriously.
almost every member of almost every other species seems so much more talented.
"mind your senses, but don't expect them to make sense." -me, just now

in taijiquan terms, the winding crab primarily makes use of the methods of "plucking" and "splitting."
obviously, it's not really taiji if we're not constantly making good use of "ward-off" and "roll-back."
once our claw is in place, it needn't be drawn back to strike again.
it can pierce, slice, clip, clamp, and wrench from where it is just fine.
any force that touches the body can be directed to and through every part, as permitted.
in the interest of adaptability and unpredictability, however, we do not rely exclusively on the claw.
through regular practice of "bump" and "elbow," all of the body's surfaces learn to bite,
and in time those surfaces become one durable and comfortable armor.

if you're into xingyi, just stand low and square, like horse riding stance,
but with knees and toes of both feet facing away from the body to the left and right, in line with the shoulders.
then do continuous rapid piquan with both sides,
using the hands like very plucky crane beaks that carry the momentum from the body through the pincers and leave hilarious welts or worse.
the clamps are also hilarious for throwing, but stay perpendicular. your front and back are exposed for bait.
wherever you're open, there you have space to clamp down.

the winding crab is known elsewhere as the "chain crane."

it seems flat, but it is quite round. straight lines in space are issued by way of spiral movement in the body.
the ends listen, the center speaks.

-sumo- stated simply; you just kick ass while making crab shapes and stepping sideways. pivot when necessary. -sumo-
Óðinn á yðr alla!
Tatanka
Santi

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan