Killer fast hands in forms

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Killer fast hands in forms

Postby Formosa Neijia on Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:23 pm

Been working on getting the "laorenjia" (old man frame) out of my material and in looking around I've found a couple of guys that have shocking hand speed in their forms.

First up is pigua:

Check out his movement at :18 into the clip. I've seen fast pigua before but this takes it to airplane propeller level. I notice his torso is making only small moves.

Second is Ma Lin Cheng doing his 64 swimming body BGZ palm

Notice the palm at around the 1:03 mark. His hands are a blur.

Needless to say i've started incorporating pigua back into my training and I'm finding it's really loosening my xingyi up.

Any thoughts on how to get the "old man taichi" out of your forms?
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Re: Killer fast hands in forms

Postby vietle87 on Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:47 pm

From what I recall from your blog (which I loved btw), you practiced Chen Pan Ling material right?

Is there a particular form that you're working on? For me, I try to keep mantis or pigua in my repertoire so I don't get too slow. I practice Wutan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3mUaDRAfEw
vietle87
Anjing

Postby windwalker on Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:26 pm

8 steps mantis has some quick hands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yau24iA_mZk

Living with the Shyun family for several years, it was during this stay in the Shyun’s home that Grandmaster Wei made the decision to pass the true heart of the Eight Step Preying Mantis system to his young disciple. Taking advantage of their private setting, Wei proceeded to pass on the details of the Eight Step system, sometimes even using street-fighters for training partners for the developing Shyun.

https://www.8stepmantis.com/8-step-mantis-kung-fu

interesting history, met the teacher in the 80s....in SF
very quick hands, body movement.
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bob on Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:04 pm

Last edited by Bob on Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:19 am

https://youtu.be/luKUJ8WhVio

The late Kwong Sai Jook Lum Gee Southern Praying Mantis GM Mark Gin-Foon. 8-)
Last edited by Doc Stier on Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Formosa Neijia on Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:00 pm

vietle87 wrote:From what I recall from your blog (which I loved btw), you practiced Chen Pan Ling material right?

Is there a particular form that you're working on? For me, I try to keep mantis or pigua in my repertoire so I don't get too slow. I practice Wutan.

Well thanks for the compliment. Always surprised people still remember and yes, I mostly do CPL material. We have forms named "thunder stick" and "lighting hands" but it seems the storm needs to be .....ahem...."rekindled" if you get my meaning. The more i look around and the more i talk to others, the more aware I've become that few of us are being taught HOW to move fast, especially in the form work. It's not a matter of "just move quicker" like most people think.

For example, one guy that does a branch of our stuff moves fast and you can see he is doing variations on the movements that differ from the normally seen forms. The variations are smoother and more fluid than the normally seen ones, allowing for greater speed, but some people that haven't been taught those variations might feel "that isn't what we do." He has also done a ton of upper body jibengong training.

Part of what prompted my interest in this topic was a recent video by Yang Hai about opening the kua, the shoulders, and the thoracic spine.

Focusing on these three areas is opening up my movements and allowing me to move faster in my forms so far. I was wondering if anyone else had come across any of this.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby robert on Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:12 pm

Formosa Neijia wrote:Part of what prompted my interest in this topic was a recent video by Yang Hai about opening the kua, the shoulders, and the thoracic spine.

Focusing on these three areas is opening up my movements and allowing me to move faster in my forms so far. I was wondering if anyone else had come across any of this.

I thought the idea of opening the joints was part of taiji training. There are sayings like it's better to stretch 1/2 inch than gain 2 inches in circumference. Quickness and agility are qualities trained in Chen taiji. Agility is seen in good Yang style training.

Notice how James Fu keeps his back pretty upright and is able to comfortably use his dantian in a low posture.
Last edited by robert on Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:39 am

Hi Dave,

I wrote about this subject of going fast last week:

https://thetaichinotebook.com/2021/06/2 ... -chi-slow/

Might be something there you find interesting.

Cheers
G
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby allen2saint on Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:40 am

I met Yang Hai many years ago when I visited Montreal. He let me visit, take a class and he touched with me for a few applications. He’s great.

These videos are master class material.

Edit: caught the shout out to Dr Fish in the video as well!
Last edited by allen2saint on Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
allen2saint
Wuji

Postby everything on Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:30 am

only watched that second video, but damn, that guy can move so well all around. every limb and joint look good.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:26 pm

A: Dear sir! How fast is fast?
B: When you can only see your hand like a blur. When you feel that your eye balls are going to fly out of your eye sockets.

Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:43 am

My eyes fail me as I get older (I am an old man now ;D ) but what I have seen as fast hands makes no sense to me if they are useless. Wushuchangquan, like other arts today, is about nandu therefore no observable function at all except gymnastic display, high and flashy kicks, etc. Additionally, the same people who do taolu rarely enter sanshou or other type competitive arena events and they don't last long in that arena. Just sayin' ???
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:04 am

Fast hands don't mean much without power. For both hand speed and power, Tongbei gets my vote.

C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:00 am

In a fight, Schilling does a switch cross, but only moves the front foot back. Similar concept as "whole body," coordinating hand with foot landing, while faster and more economical (e.g., less telegraph) than Adam Hsu's.

marvin8
Wuji

Postby kenneth fish on Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:06 am

Around 1980 I met Madame Zhu Suyi. She was a well regarded martial artist in Taiwan, and had assisted in the development of Chen Panling's Taiji (she is seen in some of the old group photos with Master Chen). She told me that my Xingyi was good - but needed loosening up, and that it lacked springy, elastic force. To remedy this she taught me Mian Qian exercises and Wu Xing Tong Bei (she was one of Xiu Jianchi's last students). I still practice both - being somewhere in my 60's I find strength and speed are vitally important.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan