Training for health

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Training for health

Postby johnwang on Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:23 pm

I have run all my life. Every time I run, I always feel guilty and think I should spend my running time for MA training. One of my friends has knee surgery. The experience is not pleasant. This make me to stop running and replace by a different program. What program should I replace it with?

I still like to replace my 3 miles running by 3 miles walking. But just walking is too boring. For each 1/4 mile, I like to do the following:

- find 2 "3 punches combo" and repeat 30 times each (2 x 3 x 30 = 180 punches).
- find a kick and repeat 10 kicks on each side (20 kicks).

If I walk 3 miles, I will drill 12 x 2 = 24 "3 punches combo" 30 times (12 x 180 = 2160 punches and 12 x 20 = 240 kicks.

It takes about 1 and 1/2 hours to cover 3 miles walking with 2160 punches and 240 kicks..

What's your opinion on this "training for health" program?
Last edited by johnwang on Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: Training for health

Postby Taste of Death on Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:33 am

"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:24 pm

I suppose you could do this by walking in a circle (with whatever punches, kicks, other moves you want for maximum variety / lack of boredom / putting joints through good rom) for an hour (assuming your pace is roughly 3 miles per hour. Not sure if that is more boring, but it uses less space / requires no particular road or path.

if your movement quality is like that bagua guy in the 2nd video formosa-nejia posted in his fast hands thread, then I think your mission is mostly accomplished, cardio and strength and blah blah blah notwithstanding.

OTOH for "health" I think metrics like resting HR, BP, HDL/LDL, etc., etc. are more important than the exact quantity of your kicks, but then again the quantity of your kicks probably improves all those stats, so I suppose it's the same.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Bob on Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:38 pm

Don't forget to get a calcium heart score (CT scan) - remember James Fixx
Bob
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:44 pm

everything wrote:I suppose you could do this by walking in a circle (with whatever punches, kicks, other moves you want for maximum variety / lack of boredom / putting joints through good rom) for an hour (assuming your pace is roughly 3 miles per hour. Not sure if that is more boring, but it uses less space / requires no particular road or path.

This is my jogging trail. It's 1/4 mile distance one way. For the view, fresh air, and beautiful girls around, it's much more fun to train there. I just have to ignore people when they look at me while I punch, or kick.

Last edited by johnwang on Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Finny on Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:17 pm

Take up swimming.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:14 am

johnwang wrote:
everything wrote:I suppose you could do this by walking in a circle (with whatever punches, kicks, other moves you want for maximum variety / lack of boredom / putting joints through good rom) for an hour (assuming your pace is roughly 3 miles per hour. Not sure if that is more boring, but it uses less space / requires no particular road or path.

This is my jogging trail. It's 1/4 mile distance one way. For the view, fresh air, and beautiful girls around, it's much more fun to train there. I just have to ignore people when they look at me while I punch, or kick.

That looks amazing.

I used to love running around Zilker as well as Shoal Creek.

The beautiful girl scenery probably tipped the scales a lot. Maybe I’d run again in such conditions.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:35 pm

I can repeat the following drill for 2 hours (4 miles) and not feel tired at all.

1. walk 4 steps.
2. 1 step 3 punches, or 2 steps 3 punches, or 3 steps 3 punches (I have 36 different 3 punches combos).

For my age, It's very difficult to find a training that I can do 2 hours non-stop, not feel tired, and still feel good afterward. When I drill combo "hook punch, spin back fist, uppercut", since I have to turn my body 360 degree, it's a great way to maintain balance.
Last edited by johnwang on Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:40 pm

how about flexibility in your walking routine? I guess kicks incorporate a lot?
everything
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:52 pm

everything wrote:how about flexibility in your walking routine? I guess kicks incorporate a lot?

I like to spend 1 hour to stretch before my walking.

1. Static stretching - put foot on tree or rock, leg straight, and both hands hold foot. Ground forward-backward split, ground side split, ...
2. Dynamic stretching - inside crescent, outside crescent, swing leg toward forehead, swing leg toward ear. swing leg behind to the back of the head, ...

So the kicks to use for stretching is different from the combat training kick such as front kick, roundhouse kick, side kick, hook kick, ...
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:08 pm

DUDE I'm envious.

An hour to stretch, two hours to walk, and that's BEFORE you do any MA related stuff. That's like literally every single bit of my daily free time right now.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:20 pm

oragami_itto wrote:DUDE I'm envious.

An hour to stretch, two hours to walk, and that's BEFORE you do any MA related stuff. That's like literally every single bit of my daily free time right now.

After I had retired since 2003, time is the only thing that I have left. I have used this program to train 7 days a week. Since this new program is not hard, I don't need too much resting time.

I think it's a good program for old age and I like to share with people who may be interested here.
Last edited by johnwang on Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:37 am

I do a similar routine but there is a subtle "secret" that I found out when I was about to stoop when doing lawn work!
I could not do the equivalent of squatting I used to do (for the past 65 years!!!oops I gave my age away, almost) and I realized that I would have to work on the abdominal fat (adiposity) waist/hip ratio that was limiting the stooping and the potential "calcification" (based on inability to stoop lower/squat) so I changed to a more what is called "ancestral movement' with more whole body engagement as opposed to what I currently peceive as isolated movement in current stretching strategies.

It is a work in progress as I am continuously changing how I apply this to mitigate this sarcopenia and muscle stiffness. I realize I need to change nutritional strategies also.
COVID has made me realize alot of stuff on how I manage while working through laziness of my own accord

Interestingly, I am integrating more Chen style because it is adding more of an increased 'effort index" (perceived exertion!!!) and integrating what chansujin movement I recall (I haven't done them for over 25 years) along with some limited weight lifting.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:49 am

I can dig up the study done with seniors but basically they found the best cardiovascular health improvement, in the least amount of time was warmup 10 minutes (walking treadmill, stationary bike) keeping the heart rate low, then start all out sprinting and quickly get the heart rate into the red zone and try to maintain for 2 minutes, then go back to slow pace and get your heart rate and breath back down, do this for 6-10 minutes, then sprint again for 2 minutes, then slow, then one more sprint. This exercise 3 times a week, 27 minutes a week of getting the heart rate into the red shows cardiovascular and heart health.

So maybe shorten the total time and do walking and sprinting. The only Question would be: does doing it every other day be the rest that the heart muscles need to improve?, or would doing this every day still derive the same benefits or be a detriment.
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:43 am

When I began learning and practicing the three IMA styles of the Shen Men Tao System in 1965, the training was primarily focused on the martial aspects of these styles, and remains so today. However, the health and self-cultivation aspects have always been acknowledged as auxiliary benefits of the training. As such, during the first two years of study, my previous yearly episodes of colds and flu, my seasonal bouts of respiratory allergies, and my allergic sensitivity to certain foods, all gradually declined in frequency and severity, and eventually disappeared altogether.

Subsequently, I haven't experienced any internal sickness or illness of any kind since the Fall season of 1967. No colds, no flu, no allergies. That's 54 years of uninterrupted perfect health to date, aside from externally caused injuries or incidental exposure to toxic substances. These results have been solely due to serious daily IMA practice, not due to regular running, weight lifting, biking, or the use of exercise machines and equipment of any kind.

So, depending on what you practice and how you practice, the opportunity to personally experience similar results is potentially available to anyone who is willing to replicate similar training efforts.
Last edited by Doc Stier on Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan